Forced Mind Meld?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by ClawsThatCatch, May 23, 2010.

1. ClawsThatCatch

ClawsThatCatch Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hey, I'm trying to make a list of all the times Spock (or I guess any other vulcan) has forced another person into a mild meld. These are the instances I could think of.

1) In "Mirror Mirror" Mirror-Spock forces Bones into a mind meld

2) In the movie The Undiscovered Country Spock forces Saavic into a mind meld to get important information.

3) In the new movie Star Trek (2009)Spock mind melds with an unconscious romulan

4) In the episode "Requiem for Methuselah" Spock mind melds with Kirk, not really with his permission, to erase painful memories of his love with the robot woman.

Please add more if you can think of them.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

actually that was Valeris, not Saavik. ;)

Then it's not really a forced meld, as such, since the Romulan was not awake to be able to resist it.

3. ClawsThatCatch

Man, I'm embarrassed. Rookie mistake on my part.

lol. I'm sorry, I'm just imagining someone trying to make that argument in court. "It wasn't non-consentual because she wasn't conscious!"

4. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

That sounds a lot like the "It's not really rape if she's drunk" defense.

5. Cornholio

Cornholio Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

damn, I can't remember the episode, but seems like I remember Spock putting the mental moves on some chick to get her to do something without her knowledge. I think it might've been 'the Omega Glory'.

guess I need to break out the discs and watch TOS again.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Spock put his Katra into Bones without permission in TWoK.

...then again, Bones was unconcious at the time ;)

(ever had a really weird dream? That's just Spock mind-raping you as you sleep)

The Katra-without-permission thing happened to Archer during the last season of Enterprise, and he ended up sharing brain-time with Surak.

A Vulcan Maquis tried (without luck) to meld with Quark in DS9.

7. F. King Daniel

Troi got mind-raped by Shinzon via his Reman Viceroy in Nemesis (Remans are supposed to be mutant vampiric Vulcanoids, right?), and there was a Vulcan-free TNG mind rape episode I can remember nothing about.

8. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Dukat, not Quark...but the similarity is remarkable. ;)

9. ClawsThatCatch

Ya, I know what you're talking about. Spock "suggested" to the savage-girl that she bring his communicator to him.

There was also that episode, I think it was "A Taste of Armageddon," where Spock "suggests" that a guard open his cell.

LMAO. I'll never be able to sleep the same way again!

10. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    Spock forces a mind-meld (and more, if you're into that) onto Kirk in the novel 'Killing Time'...

11. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

5) in ENT "Fusion", Tolaris, the V'tosh ka'tur Vulcan, starts a consensual meld with T'Pol, but then proceeds even after she asks him to stop - she eventually pulls herself away... (She contracted the Panar syndrome as a result.)

6) In ENT "In A Mirror, Darkly", Mirror T'Pol, having lured Mirror Trip with the promise of sex, forces a meld on him and implants a telepathic suggestion to perform sabotage, then uses the same technique to erase his memory

7) in DS9 "The Maquis", Sakonna, the Vulcan Maquis, unsuccessfully tries to force a meld on Dukat as a part of interrogation. Apparently, the Cardassian military has training for resisting a Vulcan mind-meld (or at least Dukat has learned it)

8) I'm not sure about Tuvok's mind-meld with the alien in VOY "Random Thoughts" - it was consensual for sure, but he obviously showed the intention to force thoughts a lot more violent on the guy than he expected... Continuing with the rape metaphors, would that be like having sex with someone who likes it rough, and then saying "You want rough? I'll give you rough" and proceeding to really hurt them?

9) ENT "The Forge" features another meld with an unconscious subject - urged by Trip and Phlox, Soval melds with a comatose guard to disclose the information about the bomber

Not exactly a meld, but also very intrusive and a form of mental violation...even worse than forced meld, come to think of it. You literally have another soul in your body! Is that like... Spock raped Bones and got him pregnant? :eek:

Ugh, maybe we should stop with those rape analogies... :wtf:

Neither of those was a mind-meld. It was (literally) rape, as in forced sex, except that it happened only in the mind.

She never tried such a thing... but Quark was obviously hoping to meld with her in a different way... ;)

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  12. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

The appalling scene in STVI was unlike anything Spock had ever done - or would ever do. All the characterizations were way off in that movie, which is why I can barely watch it.

13. ClawsThatCatch

I remembered that in the episode "Patterns of Force" Spock mind melds with John Gill without permission.

I was thinking, did Spock really get permission from that Horta or Gracie the Whale? lol.

LOL. Poor Bones! That guy goes through a lot.

14. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

In the TOS episode "By Any Other Name" Spock convinces a guard that the crew had escaped and he should open a holding cell.

This thread is starting to sound like a bunch of sailors on a twelve hours shore leave.

And what about Nomad, did it really know what it was getting into?

:)

15. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Spock did that to Kelinda in "By Any Other Name" after Kirk remembered him doing it in "A Taste of Armageddon" and asked him if he could do it again.

16. F. King Daniel

Spock's a serial mind-raper. The sicko can't get enough.

No wonder Enterprise tried to make mind-melds into something wrong and deviant :lol:.

17. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought Kirk was suffering more from painful memories of the sympathetic guy who had also tragically lost that robot chick... Or at least all his verbal lamentations are of the guy, not the girl.

By that same token, could we consider Spock's melding with van Gelder in "Dagger of the Mind" consensual? The guy was out of his mind - his "yes" shouldn't count for much.

Timo Saloniemi

18. ClawsThatCatch

I just watched it again. You are right; he is talking about Methuselah before he falls asleep, or whatever. I just think of Capt. Kirk as being so easily love sick, that I kind of assumed.

Also, maybe in a way it wasn't really forced because Kirk says "If only I could forget..." sadly. That could be considered a proper invitation.

19. F. King Daniel

The idea of removing a memory of an event, no matter how unpleasent (and I can think of about a billion worse things than Kirk went through) is utterly stupid IMO.

Get over it yourself, Jim!

20. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Seriously, she was a walking fleshlight and how creepy does that make Flint?