HAHA! I have partly solved the mystery of women...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Plecostomus, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

TerriO is, as I discovered yesterday, incapable of going in to warning territory due to her status.

Again, I'm sorry, but some things have to be said. There's nowhere else to say them at this time. Reporting her post will do no good because Misc's moderators are incapable by design of warning her for it. It's clear that the benefit of the doubt I gave her to begin with was a mistake because she clearly believes what she's said and is hiding behind the usual "boys say worse" crap.

2. the 4th hanson bro

the 4th hanson bro No one can resist my Schweddy Balls Admiral

Buying into and supporting this gender based stereotype is OK?

But an obviously sarcastic post meant to highlight the idiocy of gender stereotypes on whole is a hot topic issue?

Or was Jonathan Swift's Modest Proposal a finely crafted piece of social policy?

And what did we learn from that? A member who is a moderator flames another member. That moderator/ member is warned. End of story. Further comments about that moderation incident may be taken up via PM to Spiff as he issued the infraction

For what it's worth, this is borderline flaming.

3. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

The difference is I was playing along with the fun. I believed TerriO was too until she proved otherwise and hid behind the usual "boys say worse about us" excuse.

I'm not the one who wants "hot-button" issues off of this part of the board. It's very clear that this is amongst the hottest of those issues.

At least something was done.

The next time someone calls someone else a "misogynist", I'll remind you of this post.

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Women are fairly easy. Listen to them (I mean really listen--or a reasonable facsimile thereof). Do not necessarily provide any answers because men have a tendency to complain/vent/talk with a goal in mind. Women generally do not. They like to at least be heard.

Always tell them they're right even when they are completely, demonstrably and utterly wrong. I used to go on and on with elaborate explanations as to why they are wrong, but that never ever works. They care less about right and wrong, and winning and losing, but more with resolution.

Last but not least massage their feet or neck area when they are in a quiet moment or tired.

RAMA

5. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Men and women are really control freaks. We would have all killed each other long ago if the makeup sex wasn't so good.

6. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Sometimes, I weep for the future of humanity. Other times, my eyes roll back in my head when I read stuff online.

For the record, fellows. It's *not* "cute" to insult women. We don't all have PMS, we're not all materialistic, we don't all love fashion and hate sports, we don't all (fill in group activity.) The same goes for men. All men don't love sports, act like cretins or do something for a woman with the sole purpose of getting laid.

Those are stereotypes, and ugly ones. It diminishes both the person who posts it and the person who reads it and feels sad for the insult given.

I grew up in a time when those ugly stereotypes of women were held to be true. "Women can't...." "Women are all..." I wish I had money for every time as a child or teen when I heard ugliness. "Oh, so and so is a BITCH! She must be on her period!" When the truth might have been that she had really had something upsetting happen and was sad or angry about it.

One would think, as Star Trek fans, people would be above this. Aren't we supposed to be about the future and open-mindedness and intelligence? Not getting into your particular tribe (sex, color, religion) and pointing and mocking the different others.

But we're not, I don't think. I don't even go into stuff like picture threads anymore. I used to like seeing what everyone looked like and putting a face to the names. But the threads became a focus on the young and pretty women and some of the behaviors were, well, creepy at times.

I know that society doesn't help matters. I've been cringeing lately at the Valentine's Day commercials about the teddy bears and the pajamas. Talk about stereotyping. Vapid, silly women; men giving to get sex. The commercials diminish both sexes.

Perhaps in future, before you hit "submit" think. Is this REALLY something that you should be posting? Do you really want to put out some of the things that you put out in some of the posts? It may make a few other people tee-hee in agreement, but some of the posts make some look really petty and little.

Don't judge groups or fall into the stereotypes. They're not true. And they're hurtful. Protesting against them doesn't make people humorless (my favorite response to read in matters like this.) The protests should tell you that it's not OK to post crap like that. For everyone who reads it and speaks up, there are several others reading it and saying, "I don't want to participate and post with this group of people. They're not very nice."

7. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

QFT. Sorry if your argument is diminished by having me agree with it.

8. Awesome Possum

I don't think that Trek is such a great example since the one time they let Troi drive the ship, she crashed it into a mountain. Later Janeway lost her ship the first day out.

Although Kirk probably had to visit McCoy everyday to cure all the diseases he caught from the girls of the week.

So it really wasn't kind to both sexes. I really don't know what is going on in those script meetings.

9. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Janeway didn't lose her ship and the Enterprise-D's saucer section got hit by the Stardrive section's warp core breach, not Troi's fault. You only see those things as sexism if you're already looking to do so.

10. Awesome Possum

It was supposed to be a joke.

11. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Not quite... men are remote control freaks. A subtle distinction, but it's important.

As to the mystery of women, I am thankful we had Bill Theiss to lay bare as much as he could in order to clear up such mysteries.

12. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I know, I wasn't criticising your comment as such, just the strange view that the Enterprise-D crash was somehow sexist towards Troi.

13. Awesome Possum

It's really all that some men have left at this point. Poor bastards.

I don't actually believe it. I would have posted a smilie but I hate them.

14. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I never said you did. It's been 15 years since that movie came out and people are still making "women drivers" jokes that I never really went along with, that's all.

15. Plecostomus

Plecostomus Commodore

I've made many jokes about Troi's piloting skills over the years, stemming from her being a piss-poor pilot not a woman. Heck I can't knit, though I've tried... nothing to do with my gender. Not everyone can master every skill... and to be fair that was a shitty situation for a nOOb pilot to be in.

It's just something I'm not good at. Not everyone is going to have the chops to stop a gigantic ship from swerving into a planet. :)

Of course if Geordi crashed the ship they'd all be agog over the producers implying some kind of "racial thing" or insulting the blind. :lol:

Janeway... My humble opinion is Janeway was just an idiot that's all. Again nothing to do with her gender. Hell Ransom made some shitastic choices and THAT had nothing to do with his gender either. :D

My original post on the subject was more a chuckle at the coincidince that all the women that I encountered were angry at the same time for some reason. Heck other than my snapping at the phone-clerk I see nothing I could have done to make them ALL angry like that but what do I know. :p

Oh and in closing yes I did apologize to the phone-clerk so my calls have stopped being rerouted to the phone farthest from my desk. :p

16. TerriO

TerriO Writer-type human Premium Member

Please don't presume to apologize for me, Hermiod. Unless, of course, you're willing to apologize for all of the men about the jokes made about women as well? :vulcan:

I don't hate men, even though I've been given every reason short of being raped to carry a considerable amount of misandry. Every man in my life has been some sort of trouble, if they were even present at all. But I don't hate men. I also don't, however, think men are nearly as superior to women as they often like to think they are.

If the thread was intended to be humorous, of which I don't doubt, that kind of lost its way as the thread evolved, no? Making jokes about women and chocolate, when we know the scientific effects of forms of chocolate on the brain? Making jokes about PMS, when we know the scientific basis behind it? Making jokes about women being in bad moods? Are men never in bad moods? Are men never addicted to chocolate? Would you make fun of a man who had erectile dysfunction? Would you make fun of men with low sperm counts? What about women who can't have PMS? Would you say "hallelujah" to that? (For the record: Goddess knows I'd say "hallelujah" to never having PMS again. :techman: )

While it may have been intended to be humorous to begin with, the derision against women in here couldn't go unchallenged, lest we present an image to the public of the forum that we really don't want to present (namely, that women will openly be mocked around here without challenge). If you're calling me on "attitude," may I suggest calling the mockery of women out on that "attitude" as well? Because I saw nothing of the sort. That just gives the impression that men are allowed to rag on and mock women, but women can't fire back without fear of being "notified on," no?

Seriously, is it okay for men to mock women here? That's the question we should be asking ourselves. Are we creating an environment that is hostile toward the female posters with things like this? Are we contributing to it by participating in the mockery? Are we allowing the "discussion" (and I use that term very loosely here) to become too one-sided? Female board members are already in the minority. Put yourself in their shoes for a minute. What would you think if you saw a predominantly female forum with threads mocking men like this? Would you want to join?

Why do men feel the urge to mock the gender they need for the species to continue? Is it a hatred of women? Is it a jealousy for our ability to continue the species? Is it something else entirely? Why were women kept as second-class citizens or considered property of men for centuries? Is this a holdover from that societal structure? This entire scenario begs a considerable amount of questioning with regard to today's culture and how we carry that culture within ourselves.

I've already told the Misc. moderators that if they feel anything I've posted merits a warning, I welcome it. If after umpity-ump years I can't figure out the line between TNZ and Misc. I most assuredly deserve it.

17. Mark de Vries

Mark de Vries Commodore Commodore

I think it's funny to see how totally out of context a simple little joke about men not understanding women is taken. It's just a bit of fun, people!:rolleyes:

18. TerriO

TerriO Writer-type human Premium Member

Don't worry, I notified on the post for you. :)

If they feel anything I've said is warnable, I welcome the warning. It's not as though mods have never received warnings before. It's not my intent to hide behind anything. It's my intent to get at the heart of why men feel it's so okay to mock women to their virtual faces.

19. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Again, all you've done there is hide behind the "boys say worse things" excuse. That's all it is, an excuse - one that just does not wash anymore.

I'm tired of listening of people like you suggesting that just because women are in the minority on this board they can say whatever they like about men and get away with it.

You ask if I would mock a man with erectile dysfunction or a low sperm count, but we get "jokes" about that all the time or hadn't you noticed the frequency with which the phrase "that's what she said" has been used lately all over the media and on this board ? It's treated as fair game. We all go off and see yet another comedy movie where some guy getting kicked in the balls is the height of hilarity, but that's okay, it's just a man. Then we'll pour on to GTV&M and give it a glowing review.

Why do women continue to mock the gender they need for the species to continue ? Your line about the sperm banks being full doesn't work because there's a significant donor shortage these days.

You think I'm mocking women ? Far from it. I know full well that I'd be kicked out of here if I did.

Bro asked me not to continue discussing the reasons why I know you won't receive a warning so I won't.

20. Awesome Possum

Most of the jokes about men are written by men.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.