TNG fans please identify yourselves ...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Gold Grizzly, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Horta

Horta Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hello! I'm new to the forum. I like TOS, TNG and Voyager. Favorite Characters include Picard, Riker, Data, HalloDoc, Q, Spock, Kirk, Geordi, Seven of Nine, and many of the guest stars.

Mutai Sho-Rin likes this.
  2. jamestkirk1864

jamestkirk1864 Ensign Red Shirt

Hello another newbie... My favorites are TOS and TNG...

3. PureCrimson

PureCrimson Commander Red Shirt

BBC is so awesome showing this series again.

Apart from the original cast films, this show was the one I remember growing up with the most. Stuck at my grandparents' house and bored, I remember they would always watch it with me (along with many other far more boring shows) and I recall being just as interested as my grandpa (even at 90, Next Gen was the only thing that would hold his attention) and getting to rewatch it now as an adult (still haven't seen every episode, but I've seen a great deal thanks to it), I've realized just how much I love the series.

I'm tempted to find it on DVD to buy it; if it wasn't so costly. There's not just something soothing about the series, but it's just damn good. That's really the only thing that can be said.

Even if I'm half watching in the background, I always get interested by something per episode. But that's Trek for you.

Mutai Sho-Rin and May 20 like this.
  4. May 20

May 20 Consumer of cookies and milk Premium Member

Oh, yes, I agree. Having TNG (or DS9 or VOY, for that matter) running in the background as I go about my day is very soothing. I know the series well enough that I can jump in at a point that engages me then slip out again, and it is enjoyable.

Welcome! :cool:

5. DocCrusher

DocCrusher Lieutenant Junior Grade Newbie

I'm identifying myself.. I'm a TNG fan

6. May 20

May 20 Consumer of cookies and milk Premium Member

Well, then, you are in the right place! :cool: I'm glad you're here. :)

7. PureCrimson

Thanks, but they're kinda hard to stay in the background. Can't decide if that's a good thing or not. Sometimes I'm doing something and want something that I can only passively watch, but I usually drop everything and just watch them, which does't do me any favors. :lol:

May 20 likes this.
  8. Marynator

Marynator Queen of all the Realms Premium Member

I grew up watching Star Trek The Next Generation with my family. It's one of the few things we did together, watching the new episodes. I love the story quality and the acting, and just feel a sense of warm security rewatching the episodes.

My favorite character is Data, and my favorite episode is Thine Own Self.

May 20 and Mutai Sho-Rin like this.
  9. PureCrimson

This is a page out of my own past with it too. I was stuck at my grandparent's house for 5 days of the week during summer and they didn't have cable, and I was't an outdoor kid, thus once PBS went off the air at night, it got real boring. Except those nights when Next Gen was on. I both liked watching and, even when he was jaded by life, it would always keep the full attention of my grandpa.

He and I didn't really click personally, but could always talk Star Trek, so while I can see past just the nostalgia alone, I think Next Gen, along with the first bunch of movies with the original cast, hold the most special place for me.

I keep thinking too, wouldn't it be the most awesome to find a significant other to recapture that same excitement too. Or at the least, another group of friends or something, haha.

Marynator likes this.
  10. Marynator

That's an amazing story PureCrimson. I am glad you were able to connect with your grandfather over the show.

It is one of the few things I can really share with my little brother. He has Down's Syndrome and so it is difficult to have common interests, but he absolutely loves Star Trek. His first word ever was "boof" (the sound he thought the Enterprise made during the opening credits), and he said "Worf" before "mom" or "dad". He was what really rallied the family around Star Trek. To this day it is still his absolute favorite thing in the world, and I have a room set up here for when he visits that is full of TNG posters and stuff. For Christmas I gave him one of those TNG hoodies from ThinkGeek. Even just for his sake it will always have a very warm place in my heart.

It is hard to find other people who are into Star Trek. It still feels a bit taboo, unless it's the new JJ Abrams version (which I am not a big fan of). Most date-worthy men my age that I meet who happen to like Star Trek tend to favor Deep Space Nine, which just isn't the same to me.

PureCrimson and Kilana2 like this.
  11. PureCrimson

That is so cool that it influenced your little brother like that. Wow, if he said "Worf" before mom and dad, it really must mean a lot to you, so I can definitely grasp that attachment and fondness you all have for it too.

How old is he now? I mean, I imagine Trek might've stimulated his mind a lot, with all the themes, characterization; I can't really imagine a kid watching a more informative show than something like Next Generation to really kick start a lot of complex thinking. Let alone one who might have handicapped issues. I'm curious as to the later outcomes, if you don't mind sharing.

Ha, and is that why you too wanted to join a forum like this?
    You know, I like talking about you, even after just this one exchange. I can tell we have a bit in common. We're both newbies for now (thus features are limited), but when my 2 week initial period and yours are up, we should talk more in private message sometime. What do you say?

I'll watch you for now so I won't forget! Looking forward to it!

12. PureCrimson

*follow* I meant.

13. Marynator

My brother is over 30 years old now. We didn't start watching the show until the third season, he was about 3 at the time. He had not said a word before, so it was really exciting. Star Trek has always been his greatest love and continues to be his favorite thing today. He enjoys watching the reruns on Netflix. He knows all the episodes and can identify any of them from just a small clip or a picture. It's really nice to see him be so passionate about something.

I looked for the forum because I've been feeling a bit lonely lately. It'd be lovely to have a pen pal: meeting new friends is what I was hoping for, so please feel free to message me if you would like to talk.

Very nice to meet you, I'm glad I found this message board. It's nice to see that there are still people who like to talk about Star Trek. I was about 8 years old when I started watching, and really feel that the show had a powerful formative impact on me. I kind of try to live by "What would Captain Picard do?" :)

PureCrimson likes this.
  14. PureCrimson

Ha, isn't it funny that most people who grow to get really into Trek seem to get an encyclopedic knowledge on it?
    I think it stems to a innate passion over the franchise.
    I haven't seen nearly as much Trek as I would like to, nor is it my number 1 thing, but even to me, it remains a very close thing to my heart for many other reasons than just past experiences. I genuinely like its core concept of scifi and all that. And thus, even someone like me can feel pretty at home on a forum like this, with some people who might be waaaaaay more into it than I'll ever be.

I came to find some new friends as well; funny enough there's a handful of interests with me that I know if someone likes, chances are I'll be able to get along with them. Trek is one of those. It's also nice that most Trek communities are of grown adults too, and not of kids or teens. So, I think it is a great way to make friends. Can't do much better than that.

I'd like to talk about your experience with always meeting guys who only like Deep Space Nine, and that's not your cup of tea, haha. That's weird. I like the optimistic future of Next Gen, and while I haven't seen DS9, a friend of mine has said that because I'm a fan of darker tone stories I would probably really enjoy that too.
    So I've actually had it on my watch list for awhile.

And haha, well, Picard is a very enlightened character, so I don't think you could ever do better than applying his mentality to the world.

Marynator likes this.
  15. dstyer

dstyer Commander Red Shirt

Hey there. Joined back in '09, just somehow never posted in this thread. Watched TNG (and the subsequent shows) as first-run in syndication. I am now working on a 30th anniversary re-watch with my 13 year old daughter. We're trying to keep as close as we can to watching the episodes exactly 30 years after they originally ran...

Marynator likes this.
  16. Uhura's Song

Uhura's Song Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Don't know if I introduced myself or not. Uhura's Song.

TNG is my favorite Trek, by a hair over TOS. Picard & Data are my two favorite crew members. Ensign Ro also a favorite in her short time. Guinan also. Q best recurring character.

I did not hate Wesley! Except for that time he started acting like a jerk.

Klaa2 likes this.
  17. TribbleFeeder

TribbleFeeder Rear Admiral Premium Member

Hi I’m Nikki.

I opened my account on here like eight years ago, but I’ve never been a regular poster. I check in from time to time, but I’m making a point to engage a little more!!

I love TNG. I think it’s the best of all the series and certainly my favorite to rewatch. (Although I do love DS9 too, it’s always a close second.)

Data is my favorite.
    Troi is my least favorite.
    Picard is the best captain.

18. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And what of Riker, Nikki? What do you think of him?

TribbleFeeder likes this.
  19. TribbleFeeder

TribbleFeeder Rear Admiral Premium Member

I like Riker! He is probably the most well equipped to be a captain out of all the first officers in the franchise. Great beard.

Kilana2 and 2takesfrakes like this.
  20. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like Riker, too. He's COOL!

Kilana2 and TribbleFeeder like this.