Weird Thing in "The Naked Time"

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Michael, Oct 28, 2013.

1. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Did you read my link? :)

2. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I can't really see what happened in the link - maybe its my country.

I've looked up other references though and just can't see what happened to the guy who got frustrated and shoved the dry ice chip directly into his mouth. I can guess though.

I just can't see directors endangering the looks of lead actors by using dry ice. Except of course Capra.:lol:

3. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll have to dig out the reference, as it's buried under many years worth of magazine subscriptions. Vague and unreliable recollection is of an unscripted scene, where all the actors were instructed to breathe in through their noses and out through their mouths.

4. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Try this link.

5. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Thanks I can see it now.
    Well the results were worse than expected.
    Lucky we have Occupation Health and Safety now.

6. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow - that is truly fascinating and shocking.

Got to love those old school actors!

7. erastus25

erastus25 Commodore Commodore

Jesus I hope that story is at least partly exaggerated/a fabrication. Insanity. Reminds you of the trials and tribulations with fireballs and metallic facepaint from the Wizard of Oz.

8. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And of course aluminum dust makeup, blown onto the actor's face. Which he promptly inhaled, and was then of course not part of the film. Buddy Ebsen almost died from that.

9. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The real bright side to all this is just how much things have changed. It was not uncommon to see men of my dad's generation (WW2) missing fingers and such, from the likes of stamping press accidents at work. One moment of fatigue or carelessness could be a life-changing event. Having worked with heavy machinery myself, it's horrifying to imagine operating this stuff with no more than a "be careful" warning as a safeguard.

Things are improving all the time. :)

10. Mister Spock

Mister Spock Commander Red Shirt

Sulu seems to drop a few IQ points in Shore Leave, deciding it's a responsible and safe idea to pick up a gun he's found on the floor and just start shooting it off randomly.

11. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

I don't think Lieutenant Sulu's shooting was at random. He indicated that he was doing "target practice." So his shooting had an intention; I don't think it was purely random.