Dukat attracted to Nerys?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Noddy, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Noddy

Noddy Captain

Is there any indication that Gul Dukat desired Kira Nerys, and wanted to be more than just comrades with her?

2. garaks the best

garaks the best Lieutenant Red Shirt

I think he did find her attractive but knew kira found him repulsive.

3. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, he made some very blatant passes at her. It's been a long time since I watched, though, so I couldn't tell you which episodes.

4. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Dukat craves approval and admiration from Bajorans, especially powerful Bajorans and especially female Bajorans. Kira checks all his boxes.

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Odo, Quark, O'Brien and Jake were all also attracted to Kira at some point in the series.

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

SHE IS HIS DAUGHTER!

(Sigh.)

I've always been certain that Garrak knew this in Civil Defence when he accused Dukat of incest.

Although, during the Dominion Occupation of Terok Nor when Daddy gave his little princess a pretty dress... She certainly mistook the gift for a romantic fluffer, and momentarily forgot that Daddy Dukat was once upon a time Space Hitler who executed or worked to death millions of Bajorans, but that dinner she decided against was probably going to involve a speech which George Lucas might get litigious about.

Zial was her sister.

It's important that his girls got along, and is the only reason he felt safe leaving them together in an enemy mine.

7. Bad Thoughts

OK, why did Bashir lie to Kira in Second Skin, telling her (off screen) that she is "completely Bajoran?"

8. Guy Gardener

STEPfather.

Dukat was "married" to Kira's mother for almost 8 years.

9. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I like how you proclaim him to be her stepfather, but have to put married in quotation marks to justify it. ;)

Meru was a comfort woman, a mistress. Nerys is not Dukat's daughter legally any more than she is genetically.

10. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

If you are not attracted to Kira at some point, you are dead inside. Or at least, down there.

11. Bad Thoughts

And if you tried to do something about it, you might end up dead inside and out.

12. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wouldn't mind Kira sweeping me off my feet...or even knocking me off my feet! Kira is freakin awesome! :eek:

13. Guy Gardener

Common-Law Wife or Defacto Wife rules kick in after different durations under different legal codes. Where I live it's 3 years.

Of course then you have to ask how many wives you are allowed under a specific legal code before you're committing an illegal quota of polygamy.

Personally, I lived with a particular woman for almost 5 years (Some time ago.), and while we were together, and not trying to kill each other, it was very difficult not to think of each others children as our own too.

14. Tora Ziyal

Kira Meru was a married woman with children who was taken from a refugee camp to be a so-called comfort woman for the Cardassians and ended up Dukat's mistress. That's rape and maybe kidnapping, not marriage.

15. Bad Thoughts

It would probably be a war crime.

16. Tora Ziyal

^ Indeed.

17. Guy Gardener

Rape?

At worst it was a financial transaction.

(There was a line from the evil villain on Devious Maids last week: "No son, I didn't rape her. Don't be ridiculous. You can't rape a whore.")

Loving sexy mistress in exchange for the elevation of the well being of her husband and children.

(That's why everyone in the real world drones goes to work in the morning. Well "everyone" is not a mistress, but they certainly exchange the doing of unsettling things for the well being of their loved ones.)

Here's the problem.

Meru and Dukat were both delusional.

They both forgot that she was being paid to pretend and just got on with it.

She was weak, and he was crazy.

In exchange for the fancy life Dukat was giving her, she forgot about the concentration camps and the resistance living in caves fighting to free Bajor.

That was the point of the story.

Kira's mummy was a dirty no good collaborator.

18. Bad Thoughts

:wtf:

Great description of a shell-shocked, starved, over-worked woman who has been led off of armed guards.

19. Tora Ziyal

Yes, rape, Guy Gardener.

What do you think would've happened if she'd initially said no to Dukat's men? Do you think they would've just left her and her family alone to live out their lives in peace? I seriously doubt it! If she agreed to the sexual relationship with Dukat because her life and/or wellbeing or that of her family was threatened... that was rape. It's totally irrelevant that she developed feelings for him. If you don't understand why, look up Stockholm Syndrome.

And, yes, of course one can rape a whore.

20. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kira has very black and white thinking and her character arc is often about learning to see that life is more complicated than that even, or especially, during war.

Her mother was ultimately a survivor using whatever tools she had for taking care of her family which included taking care of herself. If she had let her position as Dukat's sex slave psychologically and emotionally destroy her he would have lost interest in her and discarded her. Her children would no longer be fed. So by embracing the role and enjoying aspects of it (good food, physical safety, conversation) she kept this arrangement, and therefore her children, alive. This is not weakness.