PACIFIC 201 - A Star Trek Film

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by aalenfae, May 21, 2014.

1. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Can you remove the trigger guard? To me, doing that would make it look more Star Trek and more like a phaser. With the trigger guard it looks to much like a modified pistol.

2. YJAGG

YJAGG Captain Captain

I like the trigger guard but it looks too thin to me and I feel it should have some kind of emitter with a THE CAGE feel to it

3. aalenfae

aalenfae Commander Red Shirt

The trigger guard will stay. Chiefly because the weaponry in Pacific 201 will be decidedly more military-like, and the choice to make the phaser inspired by modern-day handguns is based on that. Starting in 2156, Earth's entire space program was based on churning out battleships to fight the Romulans, and now (year 2200), after a period of relative stagnation and paranoia, they're only just returning to their original mission. In that light, their gear is still going to be more "military" in nature.

All that being said, we did try to add a tiny nod to Phase pistols and Cage phasers at the same time with a wider chamber near the emitter. Not as bulbous as a phase pistol, and not as cylindrical as a Cage phaser, but it's meant to reflect that technology.
    [​IMG]

4. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Frankly, it looks like a generic gun with a crest. It makes me think of a barcode scanner.

5. aalenfae

It's probably because the overall shape is quite directly inspired by a Walther P99. It's been James Bond's gun for a while, and I've always liked its look.

Funny that you should mention barcode scanners! I actually thought to make the rugged, looks-like-a-weapon phaser when I was using a barcode scanner like this one at a warehouse. It had almost perfect proportions for a phaser, and it was hefty - like you could throw it around. It looked far more like a weapon than the props from the show, and it pushed me in the "what if I took a handgun and gave it a phaser's proportions?" direction.

So the modern handgun look is very intentional.

6. wtriker1701

wtriker1701 Commander Red Shirt

As does a Cylon visor for me! ;-)

No, I actually like the design. And "in use" might actually change perception of it. Also in context with the set decorations...

I wouldn't want to be a barcode standing in front of it. ;-)

7. aalenfae

Here's something new to look at. I've been pretty busy recently, but I made time to rough out a few orthos of the most recent version of the NCC-201.

[​IMG]

8. YJAGG

YJAGG Captain Captain

shinny

9. ElimGarak.93-99

ElimGarak.93-99 Captain Captain

It looks great!

Question: Is the crew of the NCC-201 working and spending their off hours in the saucer-section?
    Because if I'm not mistaken I don't see a drive-section. Maybe there is a scroll space up the tail, between the nacelles.

10. Maurice

What have shins to do with it? ;)

11. aalenfae

Pretty much everything goes on in the saucer section. Like the NX class, main engineering is located toward the rear of the saucer, and crew quarters are generally found on the outer edge of the saucer, with all the "important" stuff towards the middle.

12. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

13. Maurice

You mean buy a toy gun and paint it black?

14. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

Well in the video there are some digital effects added to it. But I've also seen it done with extra painted details to add weathering and damage and it looks really good. Obviously you wouldn't just want plain black paint.

15. aalenfae

In "Pacific 201", we will only see one weapon - the Starfleet phaser. And that will be 3D printed.

However, I'm no stranger to finding and using toys and other things as sci-fi weapons. Here, in a video I made something like six years ago, I used an office toner cartridge as a weapon:
    [​IMG]

Not to mention that most of my props will likely be repurposed items, such as my communicators being 90's cameras.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  16. starshipfan

starshipfan Ensign Red Shirt

You mean toner cartridges aren't weapons? I thought they were a throw-off from a bio-weapons project with all the contamination they leave on anyone who touches them...

17. aalenfae

Hey everybody! It's been a while since I had something new, but never fear - the wheels are still turning.

But just so there's not a total dearth of new stuff to look at, here's a new render of the Pacific herself:
    [​IMG]

Also, here's a glimpse at a shuttle detaching from its pen on the underside of the primary hull. In the top portion of the frame, you can see a cutout. The shuttle docks inside that flush with the hull.
    [​IMG]

18. aalenfae

Showing off the Pacific's weapons for the first time!
    [​IMG]

19. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

So beautiful. THIS is what Enterprise should've looked like. I could see THIS being built in the next 100-150 years. Thank you!

20. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great beauty shots. I'm looking forward to seeing this production. :)