Captain America: Civil War - pre-release discussion, news, rumors, etc

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise1701, Mar 22, 2015.

1. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Re: Captain America: Civil War - pre-release discussion, news, rumors,

They could call it Abbott and Costello Meet Captain America for all I care, so long as it's as good as TWS.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had one other thought about the movie. In the comics I was under the impression that both sides were supposed to be sympathetic, and that there was kind of an element of the reader picking a side along with the heroes. By making this a CA movie, won't that pretty much be making Cap and his side the sympathetic one, and turning Iron Man and his side into the enemy?
    I'm not ripping on the movie, or doubting that it'll be a great move, it was just a thought I had while I was looking through the Civil War comics on Comixology a week or two ago.

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Damn right.

4. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Partly marketing probably, but also from a story point of view Cap was always one of the protagonists in this story. Yeah, I know the comic was more focused on Parker's struggle to choose a side, but the reader was always meant to think Cap's faction was in the right.
    Had the Sony deal happened sooner they might have held back until after the solo Spider-Man movie, but they're probably too far along to change course as it'll have a knock-on effect.

Plus of course the MCU has become so inter-connected beyond simple cameos that it's not about who's in it any more so much as who's story it happens to be. For example, Winter Soldier was was very much a Captain America story despite it being just as much a Black Widow and movie with a strong Nick Fury presence.

All that aside, it'd make perfect sense to use Wanda as the whole Civil War schism is over dealing with people with powers and aside from Banner, she and Quicksilver are the only movie characters this will directly apply to (Thor doesn't count for obvious reasons.)

5. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I would the movie has this quote in it. :cool:

6. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So is this a captain America film or an Avengers film?

Seems silly to sell it under the Captain America name if it's the latter since fans of the Avengers are not necessarily that interested in Captain America. Or is it just a Capt America Vs iron man film?

As someone who finds Capt America to be the least appealing of the Avengers, i think it would be a mistake to do an Avengers film under his name.

Confused

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

They're calling it "Captain America: Civil War" but it definitely sounds like an Avengers movie. It's got Cap, Iron Man, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, Black Panther, Falcon, War Machine...

8. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If the first trailer includes Evans reciting that passage, that will seal the deal. Like Jackson reciting the opening tagline from the Avengers comics years earlier.

9. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

At the moment, it seems like the Inhumans connection from S.H.I.E.L.D. may also be a factor.

10. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

It actually applies to just about everybody, in the end it's a right's issue. In the comic book story Stark used his position as SOD to call for the registry of all people with superpowers and either they registered and singed with SHIELD or by put into a prison made for them. Spider-Man and Wanda are directly affected by teh superpowers registration act, but it does affect many others as well.

11. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Does it really matter what it's called?

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I didn't say it didn't affect anyone else, I said it directly affected Wanda because she's "enhanced" and to date, she, Cap and Banner are the only movie characters to fall under that category.

If they're going to show the direct consequences of the registration act then at least one person the audience cares about getting the sharp end of the stick is something of a must, no? Otherwise it'd be like having a historical movie about civil rights in the US southern states without any southern black people in it. They're kinda the whole point.

13. Mage

Could be that they started shooting this today. Or atleast start this week, since Chris Evans tweeted about shaving of his beard because of this movie.

14. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea

AoU definitely sets this up nicely, especially scenes between Downey and Evans.

As for CA vs Avengers title? Meh. Avengers 2.5 at worst :).

15. Mage

Same here. I loved the set-up in AoU. And I also agree on the title, who cares. ;)

16. The Old Mixer

Spoiler by implication?

17. .:: TSN ::.

.:: TSN ::. Captain Captain

I would just stay out of all MCU-threads if you are worried about AoU spoilers. AoU is is out almost everywhere except USA so stuff about the movie is bound to slip out without even thinking about it.

18. The Old Mixer

Shouldn't have to. The spoiler-heavy speculation thread was created because people weren't allowed to talk about TWS in the AoS thread and vice versa.

And it's pretty damn silly to suggest that I can't discuss Daredevil or Agents of SHIELD because people should be free to blurt out Avengers spoiler anywhere.

19. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's also Pepper (Unless Tony 'cured' her somehow) - which could be a really interesting twist, in that she's both Tony's girlfriend and doesn't really want to be a superhero anyway. And there's Bucky (how responsible is he for his actions?), who almost has to be a major part of this story given the amount of setup he's gotten. Plus, of course, the obvious Peter Parker (yeah, it'll be his first appearance, but everyone already knows him anyway).

To be fair, I've seen the movie and I'm not even sure what the spoiler in that comment is supposed to be, so maybe you're reading a bit too much into it.

20. The Old Mixer

Mentioning a small list of characters who are enhanced humans that includes Wanda but not Pietro suggests that Pietro is out of the equation. This just added to the fact that somebody in the pre-release AoU thread verified outside of spoiler code that either Rhodey or Quicksilver dies in AoU. Not too hard to see that coming at this point.