Stephen King's Under the Dome - TV Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

The mystery of the dome is too far in the background for me to care about any characters in this show. It really isn't even a good psychological study in the breakdown of an isolated society.

The show has dropped the ball of uniqueness and promise just as much as Falling Skies has, in my eyes.

I'll be happy with the Walking Dead and Breaking Bad start back up... :)

2. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I found it odd for it to even rain in the first place. They're under a dome and unaffected by outside wind or weather systems. Didn't even look like they had any dark clouds and any rain clouds would have to have been generated by unique circumstances. I even toyed with the fact that Big Jim might be controlling the weather what with all that propane he's hoarding to power something. All the while there was some signal searching going on, I was hoping they'd find the signal was related to something like that. But I know I'm overthinking it.

3. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah it doesn't look like the dome extends up nearly high enough for natural storm clouds to form.

But then the dome is clearly some kind of magical scifi technology, so it was probably able to generate rain regardless.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It was more my interpretation that it wasn't "storm clouds" so much as water that had been collecting on the top of the dome had finally condensed and collected enough to fall back down? I dunno, even that doesn't make complete sense. It's either a very convenient plot device on how The Dome "works" in creating a sustainable biosphere within it (it just happened to rain right when it "needed to" and dramatically poignant to do so) or it's some evidence of some "intelligence" behind the dome that realized how things were escalating, why, and activated this feature of the dome.

In "reality" it could be argued that moisture and such should always be collecting on the top of the dome raining down almost constantly.

5. davejames

Regarding the lake, I couldn't help but notice how strong the waves were. If it were truly cut off by the dome, it would have been completely still and flat.

6. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On the one hand this week's episode was a bit of a turd. I mean Christ, that was our second manhunt and medical drama episode all rolled into one?!?! OMG THE UMBILICAL CORD IS AROUND THE BABY'S NECK!!!! AND THE DOCTOR IS HAVING AN INSULIN HEART ATTACK...OR SOMETHING!!!

On the other hand.. they killed off a useless character so I guess I should be happy?

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

But she was super hot in the 80s.

Pump Up the Volume seems silly compared to what passes for freedom on the internet.

8. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Whatever. Big Jim burned a guy alive and they found the dome machine. More than enough to keep me watching.

9. Trekker4747

So the pregnant woman sees her husband coming home from serving in the Navy in 1944, touches the dome, and it puts her in labor. CBS treats us to a shot of her embryonic fluid pouring on the ground. Thanks, show.

10. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

You were grossed out by a shot of water hitting pavement?

11. Trekker4747

Not "grossed out" so much as a "did we really need that shot?" I mean most TV child births get by with having someone just say their water just broke. This show gives us a shot of her water splashing on the ground, just struck me as unnecessary. Again not grossed out just sort of a: :rolleyes: thing. But that's a large part of this show. Me rolling my eyes.

12. Guy Gardener

I missed the TNG episode where Molly O'Brien was born.

A friend joked that Worf cut the umbilical cord with his teeth.

He persisted for quite a while that he was not joking however.

13. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Personally I thought the scene was very touching:
    [​IMG]

14. Trekker4747

I thought it was shmaltzy BS. It's kind of hard to care about the emotions of a woman we've never seen before who's simply a plot device.

15. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

:lol:

And touching the dome is half the battle!

16. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

obviously, SPOILERS.....

A few things happened this episode. The mini dome in the woods, baby birthing, and death.

The mini dome thing was kind of interesting. I wonder what's inside of it

the baby thing...meh. We never saw that woman before so did we really care much about her or her baby?

I was actually upset when Alice died though :(

17. davejames

Pretty decent ep, but I have to wonder why no one else thought to check the center of the dome before then. Checking for an internal power source seems like a pretty obvious thing to do, once it becomes clear the dome wasn't just dropped down overnight by some military helicoptors.

And just how the hell big is this town anyway? That looked like a pretty massive field they were walking through, and somehow this is the first time we're seeing it?

Obviously the smaller dome pictured in the titles and promo pictures is just for effect, but it'd still be nice to know just how much territory this dome actually covers (the maps I've seen online don't seem nearly detailed enough).

18. Guy Gardener

"Big field"?

There's a hospital, and farms. Plural. And a schism between the farmers and the townies.

19. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finaly caught up on the last two episodes. This isn't an awful show albiet it isn't great. Some of the shit is far fetched. I think they've setup fairly accurately how people would react in such a situation - most people panic - some have a level head. The looting is a fairly realistic expectation of what might happen. Also, the two crazy guys is a likely scenario.

I know a couple of people personally that in the right circumstances probably would easily become part of a mob mentality - don't all of us?

My only criticism of the show in terms of blending fact and fiction is I don't think the way the outside world is interacting with the dome is realistic. If a magical dome all of a sudden covered a small community in rural America - there would be a huge media frenzy around the event that I doubt even the US military could contain without shoot-to-kill instrustions on the general population. I'm having a hard time believing that such events would transpire where the people caught in the dome have virtually zero interaction with those outside of it.

20. davejames

Well it seems likely the military scared off the public and press by claiming the dome is radioactive or something. Although I agree, it seems like there should still be more interaction with the outside world than we're seeing.

And as for rioting, I'm not so sure. In a small town where everyone knows each other, I think they'd probably think twice before attacking each other and stealing everything in sight. There would obviously be panic and fear, but like in the aftermath of any huge crisis (think 9/11), I think they'd probably band together and try to share as many resources as they could.

Especially after only a few weeks. Maybe if this persisted for several months, they'd start to go stir crazy and kill each other, but I can't see it happening this soon.