New Book about TOS: These Are The Voyages

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by neoworx, Jul 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

So we're back to the lawyers again.

LIked this thread better when it was about personal ethics and/or lack thereof.

2. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

RED ALERT!
    Now THIS sounds like somebody trawling for evidence (or a smoking gun) that can be used (or planted) elsewhere.

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Joined after the thread started, total of 44 posts, 82.6% of them in this topic. Just sayin'.

4. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

That's so weird. Me too. :lol:

5. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This has prompted me as a gigging musician to investigate who pays performance royalties to writers, when music is performed live. So it has done some good. We only play a few times a year, and I honestly had never thought of it. But people deserve to get paid for writing stuff.

(Answer, by the way: the venue pays performance royalties by way of a royalties license with ASCAP and BMI who then pay the writers. Probably like .000001 cent, but still.)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  6. Nine of Four

Nine of Four Commander Red Shirt

I see crickets every other day!!

-:klingon:

7. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I've not seen lightning bugs since the early 70s perhaps, the last time I lived in a rural area.

8. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Crickets, lightining bugs, deer - hell, there was a frickin 400-pound black bear on my neighbor's front lawn last week! :wtf:

9. Nine of Four

Hell, where to you live?? I can't go a single night without seeing 100 fireflys!!

10. Nine of Four

Tru dat!!! Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' bout'......

11. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

With the way I revisit my favorite DVDs, I see 100 FIREFLYs every 4-5 years.

12. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Hell's close, but not quite. Arizona. We usually have 100+F temps between May and October.

13. Myko

Myko Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm glad we found something else to talk about that isn't the content of the book.

14. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

The CONTENT of the book is fantastic. In terms of text. I love Morgan Woodward's comment that his scene in sickbay was the hardest he ever worked, and his most emotional scene ever, and left him exhausted and drained. Afterward, his agent said "I didn't know you could do that!" And he said "Well now you do - get me work!"

15. Nine of Four

I spent 3 weeks out there, and I can say I believe you wholeheartedly about the heat.

16. Nine of Four

I just want to say I'm glad the TOS forum isn't filled up with annoying stickys, like TNG is....

17. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

That's what happen when you use replicators too much, it's bad for the environment.

(I had a pitch idea like that in 1990, because I SO wanted the 24th century to go back to having to carry what they need instead of having magic box tech, but couldn't come up with the requisite personal angle.)

18. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but the startrekhistory site appears to be guilty itself of using something without giving proper credit.

In their section on deleted scenes, under "City on the Edge of Forever," the site presents an unused, never-aired music cue by Fred Steiner. They must have gotten it from La La Land's complete box set of Star Trek music.

The La La Land CD producers jumped through incredible hoops to get all the many stakeholders involved to agree to the project. Then LLL worked for like a year, going through tape reels and studio paperwork to meticulously identify and document each bit of music. And they had to make digital transfers of all the tape reels and perform restoration work on the resulting audio files.

Startrekhistory presents the "City" cue as if it was the site's own discovery. I don't see any credit or thanks given to La La Land Records or the individual producers.

19. HaplessCrewman

HaplessCrewman Commander Red Shirt

Zing! LOL!

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Are you sure that's where they got it? It could be true, but they could have also acquired it by other means.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.