Question About "The Chimes at Midnight"

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Captain Clark Terrell, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

^I think he was referring to the proposed Star Trek Phase II with Xon as the new Vulcan on Kirk's crew..

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Yes, I know where Xon comes from metatextually, but if we're talking about an alternate timeline within the fictional multiverse, then the character in question would be Commander Sonak, the guy who was actually in TMP instead of Xon.

3. Edit_XYZ

Edit_XYZ Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Considering the magnitude and number of threats trek Earth faced (V'ger, the whale probe, the borg, Nero only in the movies), probabilistically speaking, in most timelines Earth IS gone.

somebuddyX likes this.
  4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

"You manics! You blew it up! Damn you! Damn you all to hell!!"

*shakes fist at V'ger*

5. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

There was definitely an Enterprise, as confirmed during Thelin's clandestine meeting with Arne Darvin in which the events of "The Trouble With Tribbles" were mentioned. It was Thelin who discovered the poisoned gain, which led to McCoy's discovery that Darvin was a Klingon spy as seen in the primary timeline. That still doesn't answer the question of how the V'Ger incident was dealt with, but it does confirm that the five-year mission happened despite Spock's absence.

Now, here's an interesting thought: what did Thelin do during "Journey to Babel" with the Andorian ambassador Shras Endilev aboard? I can't imagine he'd have been happy about Shras' aide trying to frame Sarek for murder. For that matter, who donated blood for the transfusion that saved Sarek's life with no Spock around? Or did Sarek not attend the Babel conference in the altered timeline? As he and Spock were still estranged in the primary timeline when the conference occurred, it's unlikely he attended because the Enterprise was ferrying the delegates.

--Sran

6. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe Sarek lived a long, healthy life without Spock always stressing him out. :p

7. Christopher

Keep in mind that in the "Yesteryear" timeline, Sarek had a different career path than he did in the prime timeline. When the computer said he'd been ambassador to 17 Federation planets in the past 30 years, Spock said that was incorrect. As we know from "Journey to Babel," he'd come out of retirement to attend the conference (although implicitly not a very long retirement). So maybe in the YY timeline, Sarek wasn't available for Babel because he was busy elsewhere. Or maybe his heart condition had still struck and he'd already died, or gotten treatment elsewhere. Remember that Amanda divorced him shortly after Spock died, and was then killed herself in a shuttle crash. So Sarek would've been alone for decades, assuming he never remarried. He might've had a shorter life as a result.

8. Captain Clark Terrell

He definitely hadn't died, as he appeared in the story's prologue that takes place in the year 2274. Ironically, he was talking to Thelin for much of the chapter in question.

--Sran

9. Christopher

^Okay, I forgot that part. Anyway, it's clear Sarek's life path was very different in the "Yesteryear" timeline.

I do wish Chimes had addressed the V'Ger question, though.

10. Captain Clark Terrell

As do I. It would seem that Decker could still have played a crucial role in what happened, as he doesn't appear in the story. But that doesn't explain who helped the crew understand V'Ger's goals in the first place, as Spock's mind-meld with V'Ger- and his own empathy for V'Ger's plight of feeling empty and incomplete- were absolutely essential in solving the crisis.

Thelin was part Aenar and had some degree of empathic ability, but it sounded like he'd been out of Starfleet for several years before going back. Who else could have filled Spock's role well enough to prevent V'Ger from destroying Earth?

--Sran

11. Christopher

^Maybe Sonak didn't die in a transporter accident?

12. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Am I misremembering or did one version of the "In Thy Image" script have a Commander Ronak who dies, leading to Xon coming aboard?

Also, according to the It's a Wrap! auctions, there was directional signage in ST II indicating that Xon had an office near the Bridge Simulator Room.