Complete Farscape on DVD Nov 17

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by 23skidoo, Nov 5, 2009.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

In general, or on Farscape? Almost every actor on Farscape is from Australia.

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

In General, and I know that.

3. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well after 49 days I finished watching all of Farscape.:):( After a wait of 6.5 years I finally got to watch the last 9 episodes of season 4. They were new to me.(I had missed them because I had fallen asleep and didnt want to continue watching until I had seen everything, since the show was so arc based by that time)
    I really enjoyed them. I also finally got to watch the PKW. Without really spoiling anything John really seemed to take charge in the last few eps of season 4 as well as the mini.

The mini really did a good job of maintaining continuity with story and sets. The show had been out of production for over a year so sets had to be rebuildt and actors brought back. There are some minor quibbles but thats to be expected when a show is abruptly cancelled after a cliffhanger. Moya looks slightly different. They of course couldnt rebuild everything, so we mostly see quarters, the comm, and hallways.(It took them 4 years to accumulate all the different sets for her and Im sure budget wouldnt allow for everything to be rebuilt)
    Also pilots voice sounded more like Lani Tupi than ever. He has stated that a different sound guy came on for the mini which probably explains the different mixing on the voice. Other than those two things the mini tied the show up nicely. They had 180 minutes to tell a seasons worth of stories. It was nicely done. I had a mixture of happiness and sadness though to FINALLY see it end.

4. coolghoul

coolghoul Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Since you just finished it... Tell me if the last 6-7 eps for season 4 weren't great. Somehow, I feel, s3 gets all the love and the last half of s4 gets none. While I think they are comparable - but most fans think otherwise.

I know.... I'm looking for external validation... Pathetic...

Still - anybody? I can't be the only one...

5. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought the final stretch of season four was pretty highly regarded. Definitely, I love it - the Katratzi arc is a high point for the series. The reason S4 gets less love than S3 is because it's far more uneven, especially early on.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  6. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

If memory serves---and I really wasn't paying very close attention back then---Scifi asked them to tone down the serialization in season 4. They did for a while, and then decided to ramp it back up anyway once the network wasn't looking. Much the same occurred in Angel season 5.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I'll be honest. I like Season 4 a lot more than Season 3, but it took me rewatching it several times to realize it.

The only things about the mini that bothered me at all were:
    1) Pilot's voice, but I got used to it after the first scene
    2) Chiana's voice, same deal
    3) Jothee's costume. Apparently somewhere between Season 3 and mini he became a full Luxan.

There were a few minor nitpicks, but overall I fucking love the mini. The ending is epic!

8. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I generally enjoyed it. I didn't find "A Bug's Life" as rave-worthy as others had suggested, but the duology on the Gammak Base and the finale itself were good. "Bone to be Wild"... I think it would have been a solid episode elsewhere, but a planet-of-the-week story in the middle of the arc felt rather out of place. I guess overall I prefer episodes that deal with the broader setting of the series (the more space operatic elements, perhaps) than yet another episode where something makes people on Moya act crazy. Again.

Thinking more about the first half of the second season, something that's been consistently bugging me is Crichton: he seems to be perma-pissed, always shouting and closed-off. The sense of wonder and discovery, and the productive value of the outsider role, seem to have vanished. I suppose it makes sense in light of his experiences at the end of last season, but there's a problem when your lead character and only human isn't, well, particularly humane. Right now it's Zhaan and Chiana with whom I find myself sympathizing the most.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

9. Lindley

There's a reason for that, actually.

10. HighteeHeller

HighteeHeller Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A very good reason in fact. I couldn't understand it either upon first watching it, and it really bothered me until i saw why.
    Thats one of the reasons i love this show so much. They manage to take the story and go in directions i never would have thought. I wanted everyone to behave the way i expected, or the story to unfold in a way that would bring about the happiest ending, but they rarely ever did that.

11. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You may like the direction the series is headed in, then; though it's never going to lose the 'weird stuff happens on Moya' plotlines... not that those don't, well...

I'll blather a bit about that after the "Liars, Guns and Money" arc.

12. Dar70

I loved them, as well as the beginning of S4. I had forgotten much of the first 13 episodes. Truth be told theres really not one episode of Farscape I hate. Yeah a few went a little to campy but it always fell into place at the last moement and got dramatic and serious again.

*****Spoliers*****

Well Critchton had been away from earth the better part of 4 years. He knew the universe now. He couldnt be a fish out of water forever. He was pissed the last half of season 4 as well as the mini. He now had Areyn and he was trying to protect her and her their baby. Nothing really surprised Crithcton any longer. Getting back to earth mid season showed the audience how he really changed. Earth seemed small to him now. His character had adapted but he still had his human qualities.

13. coolghoul

coolghoul Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks RojoHen

Ah - Sweet Validation, at last I found thee!!

Unlike Highlander, There can't be only One in this case!

Re S4 - the initial Arnessk arc is very important to the Mini. It's just that they treated it in a way that's an incomprehensible mess. Since they had to condense the potential s5 into a Mini - maybe they thought they would have time to "redeem" the Arnessk arc and make it more pivotal in early s5 and then lead into the PKW-mini storyline. Alas - it was not to be.

14. Lindley

Huh. In "Mental as Anything", there's a couple of frames where a black display box appears across the bottom of the picture with the letters
    Code:
    TCR. 01:37. 22. 14 
    V      A

I've never seen this kind of DVD bug......I think it's actually on the picture.

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

When does that occur in the episode? I'll check the corresponding Starburst DVD to see if it occurs there, too.

16. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Currently rewatching Farscape and finishing the end of Season 2 tonight.

I'd forgotten how tight the first season was in terms of setup and foreshadowing.
    Most of the stuff I thought didn't occur until season 2, actually happens in Season 1

Really wish this show had gotten at least one more season.

Weren't there supposed to be some webisodes or something coming out?

17. Lindley

Just as Crichton has finally pulled the grate off the fire to get the key. The particular frame is a close-up of the coals.

18. cubbie

cubbie Vice Admiral Admiral

First time viewer here. I've been renting from Netflix or doing the instant watch. So far I'm up to episode 8 of season 3 and wish I could have watched it when it first was on.

19. Dar70

Better late than never.:techman: Hope you continue to enjoy. One of the few shows IMO that maintained its quality through its entire run. There are a few mediocre eps, but they are still enjoyable.

One thing I liked about this show was the freindships the characters developed with each other over time. The show became more than just a fish out of water show. It grew with the characters and focused on all of them.

20. Lindley

Damn, the entire Peacekeeper Wars miniseries is on one DVD? I opened the package and saw two discs, I figured two hours each! But no, the entire thing is on the first disc, without even a skip back to the menu in the middle. That's no miniseries....it's a 4-hour movie. (Also, a space station.)

Started a bit after 8, finished up just after midnight. I did not intend to watch the entire thing in one sitting....