Lost 5x01: "Because You Left" & 5x02: "The Lie"

Discussion in 'Lost' started by Agent Richard07, Jan 20, 2009.

?

Grade the two-hour premiere...

1. The first hour was EXCELLENT.

61.5%
  2. The first hour was ABOVE AVERAGE.

30.2%
  3. The first hour was AVERAGE.

7.3%
  4. The first hour was BELOW AVERAGE.

1.0%
  5. The first hour was POOR.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. The second hour was EXCELLENT.

39.6%
  7. The second hour was ABOVE AVERAGE.

41.7%
  8. The second hour was AVERAGE.

12.5%
  9. The second hour was BELOW AVERAGE.

3.1%
  10. The second hour was POOR.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Rygel XIX

Rygel XIX Captain Captain

WOW, what an episode - my wife and I tried to remember for about an hour where we remember Fionula Flanagan's character from, and with a bit of help from the Lostpedia found the following:

Fionula Flanagan's character - she's from the episode "Flashes Before Your Eyes" (Season 3) - she's the 'shopkeeper' in the ring store who tells Desmond NOT to buy the ring for Penny, saying to him that it's his original fate not to buy the ring, which ends up leading him to the island and turning the key - She mentioned that if he doesn't do those things that "every single one of us is dead".

My guess about the island? Not only is it jumping in time, but also in location as well (hint: the pendulum marking various locations on a large map)...

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

It has to be moving in space, since we saw it physically disappear in the S4 finale. Also, in this episode didn't Alpert or Faraday say that the Island isn't moving in time but the people on it are?

3. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah, this reminds me, this was one of the characters I couldn't remember. When did we see this psychic lady before? Thanks!

Mr Awe

4. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Faraday said the island is moving or the Losties/Freighties are. And he said both are equally likely. All we can tell at this point is that the island moved (possibly more than once) at least in location if not time, and the survivors are probably the only ones skipping around in time.

5. DeafPoet

Mrs. Hawking from "Flashes Before Your Eyes" in S3. She was sort of Desmond's tour guide in time travel from the jewelry shop.

6. Maab of the Ten Tribes

Maab of the Ten Tribes Captain Captain

Did anyone else think there is a significance to them showing Sawyer's foot all messed up? There has to be something to that because it looked mighty messed up. Maybe he loses a toe?....Hmmm.

7. Mr Awe

^^^ That's a good thought which, now that you mention it, seems like it has to be significant. I'd be very surprised if there wasn't something to it!

Mr Awe

8. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I wonder how many toes Adam and Eve had...

9. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After last night's episodes, I've come to the conclusion that I'm:

A) too old;
    B) too dumb;
    C) too unimaginative or;
    D) all of the above

to truly understand and enjoy this show. This show has just totally gone over my head. I don't know why I watch it anymore, it's like a train wreck that I can't turn away from. :(

10. DeafPoet

Hey, fair enough. I, for one, loved it but after it was over last night it occurred to me that there would probably be a shit-ton of people like you who just won't dig it. Wouldn't be surprised if the ratings suffer as a result.

But, whatever, they're gonna finish it up regardless so I'm cool with it.

11. I love how the show just went completely batshit with the sci-fi and gave up all pretense of being "accessible to casual fans" or whatnot - i mean at this point there's only two mini-seasons left and are pretty much guaranteed, it seems to have freed them.

The whole thing was big dramatic action-sci-fi spectacle at this point.

The time skipping thing I think has finally opened up the story to some sort of predestination paradox I think. I'm wondering what if the island's "original inhabitants" are actually the Lostaways, or descendents of the Lostaways?

12. Mr Awe

^^ Again, I'd be surprised if this didn't come into play to some extent at least. Going well back into time might be how the Losties ultimately escape the problems of being found by modern society.

13. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

The show became really engaging lost night when I realized that nearly everything was no footage and the only end point we have between now and the end of the season or series is that Locke is going to die. They can take the story literally anywhere.

14. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

How about overwhelmed? I had a little overload by the end. So much had gone on and trying to fit the pieces together was tiring.

15. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

I can only hope ;)

But I respect that some people like this character. You can all go back to the beach and do nothing with her while the island skips through time.

I love this theory. The losties being the first residents of the island is a cool ending.

16. DeafPoet

*raises hand*

I'll admit to that. I think it was somewhat mitigated, though, by the fact that I knew it was probably going to be chaotic going in. So while I was watching last night I made a conscious effort not to play puzzlemaster as I often do while I was watching the show. Just sort of let it happen.

Of course all that's out the fucking window now :lol: Watched it again this morning and my mind's in overdrive!

17. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

I teased my 7yo that she missed it last night and I forgot to record it. She looked so crestfallen I had to tell her I really did and we'll watch one before she goes to bed tonight.

I just hope I don't have as much trouble sleeping as I did last night because of the show.

18. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

That's something I considered while I was watching last night. Could the Losties actually be the "Hostiles," the indiginous population that Dharma feared? The only one of them we ever really saw clearly (I think) was Richard Alpert. And who knows what the hell is up with that guy. He is everywhere.

19. Mallet

Mallet Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think that the guys who jumped Sawyer & Juliette at the end of the second episode were Dharma. They were a lot more militant and vicious then any Dharma people we've seen before. Dharma people seemed to be basically a bunch of hippies & scientists, not guys willing to cut off peoples hands just to make a point. They seemed more like military or mercenaries then Dharma employees.

I wonder if these were some of the people who first "discovered" the island in the modern era, leading up to Dharma arriving to study it. Maybe they were sent out by Hanso to find and "claim" the island?

The fire arrow shooters were the "Hostiles" or "Natives" to the island, trying to kill off the new arrivals (both the Losties and the soldiers).

20. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Dharma wasn't THAT nice. They set up a station to gas the entire Island with instant death. The Arrow was created to research how to kill the Natives. Even Ben's cutesy little schoolteacher whipped out a rifle the second the alarm went off.