The Walking Dead Season 4

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, May 6, 2013.

1. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

They were able to hold the prison without things getting sinister... except when Rick went crazy... or when Carl killed that guy... or when Carol killed those two... or Lizzie's taxidermy project... or Bob's addiction problem...

Better call it 0-for-three.

2. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Nope, they're 1 for 3, if you count the one they built at the prison, & lost (Mostly because of poor planning). At its core it was a good community

Let's face it, Terminus is going to be a seriously rare occurrence, maybe even singular, because, c'mon... people can still grow, hunt & breed food. Cannibalism much like piracy is a choice. People like Joe's gang are too primal to form any kind of sizable community.

So, what that leaves is the Woodburys. There's probably tons of them & maybe some of them aren't run by lying, manipulative, megalomaniacal outright murderers, like The Governor, holding power with the aid of ruthless, corrupt, scrupleless henchmen like Merle

You could tell things were kind of shady in Woodbury right off (Unless you're Andrea, apparently) People looking to join a community will have to be trained on those kinds of key factors, & know the signs of a corrupt dictatorship, overt leadership secrecy being the foremost

Most groups where that is happening will likely not be isolationists, because it's still a culture of social predatory intent. Mostly, people on an island community will have gone there to get away from that stuff. I'm not saying you won't risk encountering it on some islands, but it's less likely. They'll be isolationists looking to build a society & not just acquire their resources from other people

What's the first question almost everyone they encounter asks? "You got a camp somewhere? Translation = "What y'all got at that cozy camp of yours?". If you got one or two reliable boats of some kind & are careful coming & going from your coastal island, you don't really have to worry about being stalked by a bigger group... the way the prison was

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Really, maybe they should have stayed at the quarry lake. :lol: Other than that smallish herd coming through that place wasn't too bad.

:lol:

4. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

So Morgan Jones was late meeting up with Rick via radio, now when he gets to the prison he's going to think Rick is screwing with him.

5. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was nice, but there was no defensible shelter, they were living like gypsies in tents & RVs

The tents thing was pretty stupid in retrospect. They should've been smarter than that by the time Rick woke up. Whole cities were flooded with millions of zombies

6. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Considering the place is a smoldering ruin, complete with busted up tank out front, he assume that Rick and the others are dead.

7. selina

selina Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm willing to share :).

8. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

It is a trade off; the prison was a prison, so by design it is supposed to be difficult to enter or exit, but yes, it was a known location in that region, so at any time, some Governor or Joe-type gang could stalk the community and plan the worst.

Islands are okay, but the biggest warning about that is the finale of the 2004 Dawn of the Dead remake, where the survivors traveled to an island, only to face an army of attacking zombies. There's no way to know if a island has been overrun until you set foot on it, thus triggering a response.

You might try to be a bit clever, and use something that would draw walker attention (fireworks, as in Land of the Dead), and nothing shows up, move in, all the while scanning with binoculars, but if the island is not as structure as say, Catalina, then the potential for being caught off guard goes up.

Not when he see the aftermath of the attack, deadbodies holding rifles, the tank, etc. He's very experienced, so he might follow the trail to Terminus (everyone else seemed to run into the train tracks quickly).

For all we know, Rick's "screwing with the wrong people" line--as confident as it was--speaks to someone the quartet met before hopping the Terminus fence. Morgan? Carol and Tyreese?

What about Beth and her kidnapper...or his group?

Without weapons, Rick cannot be confident thinking they will simply bust out at first chance, knowing the compound is surrounded. Someone else could be waiting in the woods as backup.

9. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

I think that these places probably exist without nutjobs running them, but at the same time I don't think one has to be insane to be part of a violent tribe that will engage in warfare with others. The reality of this world is that people are going to revert to the old methods of humanity, and what that means is that no place is safe, and any peaceful people will ultimately be conquered by those who are not.

10. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Hopefully, now that the actor that plays Carl has had his growth spurt, we won't have any more time jumps.

11. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Here is Chandler Riggs Twitter feed. He's such a typical teenager.

12. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well as that's happening in the show, Rick mentions outright that it looks like the Terminus people are NOT trying to kill them, but move them in a particular direction.

13. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agreed. This will greatly limit time jumps to eventually not include Carl.

14. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I feel bad for the kid. They wouldn't let him on Talking Dead and then they covered up his mural with that Terminus sign.\

15. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agreed. I also wonder if AMC did not have him as a guest on the season finale Talking Dead because of what his character Carl had endured would have become the focal point of the discussion. Albeit, it would have been great to see Andrew Lincoln and Chandler Riggs on there together.

16. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well he's scheduled for the Talking Dead premiere next season...so there we go.

And i forgot about Morgan. I hope he's part of the "rescue team"! However, that would clearly mean Tyrese, or most likely Bob, is doomed as soon as (or just before) Morgan shows up.

17. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I should have put a :) at the end of that. I was kidding. I know that Morgan knew Rick came back for weapons and that he was fighting someone.

Me too. Also, if I get turned, chop my arms and jaw off. Those guys looked very interested after loosing the urge to eat brains.

18. selina

selina Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

19. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed this season. I see that I appear to be in the minority that I enjoyed the second part of season 4; it's probably, in fact, my favourite of any season so far. Years ago I read Stephen King's The Long Walk. Ever since I have admired literature, or in this case, tv, that can tell a story when that story is stripped to the basics of just characters basically talking to each other. In my opinion the writers largely did a great job.

I've just caught up with the last couple of episodes. There is load of great moments of thematic/dramatic irony in there for me: that the humans have resorted to eating each other, something that the walkers themselves do: even the thing that divides us and them now no longer exist. Isn't there an old adage: ultimately, you become what you despise?

Rick's way of fighting off Joe (that Jeoff Kober's name?) is utterly awesome. He uses the only thing he has, and it's the same thing the walkers, themselves, have. Someone up thread says Carl and Michonne are having a "romance". I can see that. It's innocent and touching. They meet in the middle because Michonne is recovering and discovering something childlike inside while Carl is becoming an adult in all the ways that means in this new world.

Daryl seemed really "un-Daryl-like" in these last couple of episodes for me. I'm not sure why that is. I wonder if it's because he's had his paraphenalia taken away from him - the poncho, the bike, his crossbow gets superceded by someone else's. I wonder if it's because the position he occupies in our group (the hardman, redneck survivor?) he no longer is in Joe's group. They are all the same, he doesn't stand out. Not only that, but he isn't even that any longer.

I'm not sure that anyone up thread has even mentioned what was going to happen to Carl. They were going to rape him, surely? For me that's the darkest this show has got - darker than the first time we saw a child walker, darker than the first time it put a gun in a child's hand, darker than the deaths of the children a couple of episodes back. The cannibals up ahead, the child being attacked, Rick's reaction, the pared down action of the long walk all reminded me of the novel (not the film because I haven't seen it) of The Road.

Talking of things that remind me of other things, the candles and totems in the railway siding at Terminus reminded me of Graham Masterton's Ritual, an awesome tale of existential horror the likes of which TWD hasn't really matched yet, in my opinion! :lol: I found Terminus quite naff, actually, especially the lead guy ( I forget his name). I dunno, is it because I've seen a thousand tropes of what the bad guys get up to in the post-apocalyptic world? I dunno. I'll live with it because TWD has so much other good stuff going for it. For me, though, Glenn and Maggie really isn't one of them. I like a good romance, but I'm sick to death of these two.

I know, I know: tl:dr. In summary: I loved it.

20. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ I read it. :rommie: I completely agree with your reasons for the second half of this season being so good-- only in my case it was guys like Clarke and Asimov that taught me about dialogue-driven storytelling.

The weird thing about the attempted rape of Carl, to me, was that Joe and the others had no problem with it. They seemed more like the type of guys who would want to kill homosexuals or child molesters.