Smallville Season 11, it"s happening...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ncc71877, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Just purchased 28, 29 & 30. Now I just have to transfer it to my app.

:techman:

2. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Just read 26 - 29 last night. First off, it was a real pleasure reading it on the Android app, which was far more fluid changing the pages than reading off of the site on my laptop. Very nice indeed.

:)

It was great to see Bart again, and his problem reminded me of the TNG ep with Barclay and the things he saw in the transporter beam. Could this be part of the crisis, I wonder?

Also great to finally see John Jones in this book, and in his native form as well. The Martian and the Dark Knight. This should be fun.

So, was the ape wearing some form of Babbage device, which made it sentient? I immediately thought of the talking orangutang from Mark Hodder's 'Burton & Swinburne' novels.

All in all, I'm still enjoying this 'season' greatly. It's keeping in spirit with the show while at the same time, its breaking new ground and truly feeling like a comic book. I'm in for the whole ride.

:bolian:

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Black Racer is the avatar of death in the DCU. We know what happened to Barry Allen in Crisis on Infinite Earths :) I believe Miller is working towards the "Smallville" version.

4. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

^

Ah. That explains everything.

:lol:

5. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Boy I really need to catch up. I think 22 is the last issue I have.

Side question: Was there not a thread for Arrow this week? I can't seem to find it.

6. Admiral_Young

Finally got a chance to read issue 30 and I'm starting to run out of complimentary things to say about this book. I'm assuming the treadmill was a hint or nod to Barry's Cosmic Treadmill which of course IIRC plays a big part in Crisis on Infinite Earths. The art is fantastic now on the book. It's finally come into it's own while improving with each passing issue. Also the blonde scientist working with Emil had the name tag Sivana...I'm guessing she's meant to be the Smallville version of Doctor Sivana, or even Georgia Sivana. Miller is just tossing everything at us! LOL.

7. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love that it's basically Miller's version of the DCU that just happens to be lead by Superman.

8. Admiral_Young

Yep. That's exactly what it is like. The care and obvious affection that he still holds for these characters is apparent in every issue. It's pretty clear though that Miller is having as much fun writing this, as we are reading it.

9. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

At the risk of sounding redundant, thanks again Mike for your help in figuring out the app for the Sony Tablet. It sure is a great way to read these things.

10. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No worries. Glad to help out. I was total anti-digital until I got my iPad. Now I haven't bought a single issue on paper since May.

11. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

^

I've been much the same way with my E-ink reader I had before we got her S-Tab. I haven't bought a 'real' book since last April, plus I can carry around two dozen books on something that takes up less space than a steno pad (including my own novel).

:)

12. Admiral_Young

Issue 31 was great. Chloe seeing her doppelgänger last memories of her reality is probably going to haunt her for a bit. I suppose that is why the arc is named "Haunted" as both Bart seems to be haunted by the Black Racer, and Chloe will be haunted by these memories for a while. We're rapidly moving towards this "Crisis". I have said this before, but I believe we will see the "Smallville" version of the Justice League fully formed before this is all said and done. We're most likely a quarter of the way through the season...perhaps episode six or seven by now. We've still got a long way to go. It will be nice to see Jay Garrick when Clark and Bart find him.

13. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

^

Good, always glad to get more Chlo in my SV! :techman:

Per my usual habit, I'll wait another two weeks and top up my account with the last three books and read then. But it's always nice to get a bit of a sneak peek, as it were.

;)

14. Admiral_Young

I believe on twitter Miller has teased the next arc "Elite"? I think it was called that.

15. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

So will 'Haunted' be the standard 12 issues for the arc? Or is it going to be shorter? And is the Batman/MM story connected to it, or just a stand-alone featuring those two characters?

Also, when you said that you thought that the JL would be fully formed by the end of this 'season', are you meaning the inclusion of Batman and Wonder Woman, along with the group we now already have? Do you think we'll see the entire group together in the pages of the book, something we NEVER would've seen on television?

16. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

It remains to be seen whether there will be much of a connection between the Effigy storyline and Haunted (aside from the first part of Effigy
    briefly shows Superman
    and says that it starts five minutes before Haunted begins). My guess would be no, just because it looks like the main Smallville characters are busy with their own problems.

I love how issue 31 had an in-joke reference to the "Clark as a firefighter" storyline from the New 52 comics. :lol: Plus the drawings of Chloe and Oliver were pretty much dead on. And they seem to be connecting more with the JSA. I wonder if or when we'll see a reincarnated Carter and Shayera.

I read online that
    Anti-Monitor
    appears briefly, which would definitely connect to The Crisis - I'm not familiar with that character, so I guess I'll need to so some Wikipedia reading.

17. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Same here, I'll have to do the same.

18. Admiral_Young

Yes, when I say "a fully formed Justice League" I mean the one we all know and love from the comics. As I've said before earlier in the thread, most of this season most likely would not have been realized on television. I still expect that Miller will introduce Diana and Green Lantern prior to the conclusion of this season.

Miller has I believe, said that Effigy is indeed connected to season 11 proper, again I believe this is just another way to start connecting all the characters together.

I think I posted this before, but if not, this is the release schedule for Season 11 up to April.

http://www.blueskybriccabraq.com/blog/2012/12/23/smallville-season-11-release-schedule.html

The Anit-Monitor as mentioned above is crucial to Crisis on Infinite Earths and was the main antagonist. All signs since we heard the word "Crisis" point to Miller adapting Crisis on Infinite Earths.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Monitor

19. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Caught up last night, reading 30, 31 & 32. Loved 31, great stuff with Chlo getting brain-linked to her dead counterpart, and I also really liked Clark and Bart visiting the old JSA HQ. It really does seem as if Miller is trying to merge ten years of Smallville on the tube with the DCU, making a separate reality of his own.

Good stuff indeed.

:techman:

20. Admiral_Young

It's kind of funny that Miller seems to be doing Crisis on Infinite Earths since they basically adapted "Final Crisis" (or at least parts of it) on the final season. I have yet to read "Effigy" part two yet. It's been a chaotic weekend. Will hopefully do that in the next couple of days.