Comic Book Related Sub-Forum in SF&F?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Not sure if this has been posed in awhile or what if any answer was given.

Maybe a short thread.

With 2 active threads for Marvel and DC comics themselves
    Individual movie tracking threads for:
    Iron Man 3
    Thor Dark World
    Captain America: Winter Soldier
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Avengers 2
    Ant-Man
    General Phase 3 MCU news
    Man of Steel
    JLA speculation thread
    Next Bat film speculation thread

plus the sure to follow Review threads which run parallel for a few weeks

I'd wager threads like Warners Animation news, individual DC solo DDVD projects would have threads.

The SHIELD TV show would have a thread.
    Arrow show on CW thread moved here.

The sure to happen next wave of ongoing Marvel cartoons would have threads.

Action Figure or Video game news. I know Misc has a general action fig thread but that's dominated by Star Wars talk.

Perhaps discussion of other comics as well outside DC/Marvel? Maybe not, my Valiant thread died so this board may not have much broad interest beyond the Big 2.

Is it time for a Comic Book related Sub-Forum? The front page or two usually has several at any given time very active.

2. Sagart

Sagart Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Considering some of the sub-forums we have, one for such a huge part of fandom makes sense.

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Most of the threads you listed are for movies, not comics. you'd end up with a lot of duplicate threads between sf/f and a comics subforum because of that.

4. Captain Craig

It would be for "related" to comics. So you wouldn't have redundancy. If someone out of habit put a Flash movie tracking film in the regular SF&F forum it would get moved to the Comic Book Movie/TV/comics sub-forum.

I think the reason we only have 2 lump threads for all of Marvel/DC may be that we haven't had the space to try a Bat family thread, Supes family thread, Avengers related type discussion threads.

I could see people having first time viewing or rewatch threads for Lois&Clark, Smallville, Flash. Superfriends retro talk. Best comic themed avatar threads.

Related, not specifically the books themselves.

For comparison sake: Dr.Who has a forum and the contents of comics covers as much and produces more than just Dr.Who and Torchwood. BSG and Stargate have active sub-forums but no new content. I'm not saying any of those come down, I participate in the SG one. Just saying there is constantly new content for Comic related material and interest in discussion of said content.

5. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Ya BSG and Stargate sub-forums should be removed.

6. Bob Morton

Bob Morton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I always thought there should be a RIP sub-forum. There's 3 or 4 ongoing threads usually and it's not getting cancelled anytime soon.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not into segregation or ghettoisation.

8. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I'd do a Smallville rewatch thread, but I'd only go up to Season 3. Season 4 if people demanded it. Past that, when Clark graduates from High School, is right out.

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I have brought this up in "Questions, Suggestions and Feedback", but there didn't seem to be any interest on the part of the mods.

A comic book and superhero forum would make a hell of a lot more sense here than the "Sports and Fitness" forum ever will. I don't think that I've ever even gone into that forum.

10. Turtletrekker

Here is a list of currently active threads that concern comics and superheros.

Iron Man 3 Discussion/Photos/ETC.
    Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!
    Ant-Man: Info, Pics, Rumors, Casting and Details till release
    Green Arrow (CW)
    "Iron Man 3" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)
    Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)
    X-MEN: Days Of Future Past (Casting, Rumors, Pics till release)
    Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)
    Avengers 2 News, Rumors, Etc. Pictures until release...
    DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)
    Marvel planning Guardians of the Galaxy movie!
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier pre-release thread
    Daredevil back to Marvel Studios?
    Thor 2 -Movie Discussion, News, Interviews, Pics till release 2013
    Phoenix Comic-Con 2013 has quite the lineup of Sf/F actors and writers
    Dredd - Grade, Review, Discuss, Spoilers
    Why is DC so far behind Marvel in terms of movies?
    Ant-Man and Dr. Strange part of Marvel Cinematic Universe phase 3
    Buffy season nine discussion thread
    Superman:Unbound and Flashpoint DTV
    Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;
    "Amazing Spider-man 2" discussion
    Smallville Season 11, it"s happening...
    Is Batman crazy?
    Nolan now in total control, and Bale will return as Bats
    what's next for Marvel (movies)?
    WOLVERINE director search down to 8
    Dark Horse to adapt George Lucas' original Star Wars screenplay
    Young Justice, Green Lantern return January 5th
    The Walking Dead Season 3
    Race + Comics: On Green Lantern’s Near-Death Experience
    New live action "Turtles"?
    Netflix is now streaming a ton of Cartoon Network and DC Comic shows
    Bruce Timm Steps Down As WB Animation Supervising Producer
    Kick-Ass 2 -Movie Discussion, News, Interviews, Pics. ect.

And this is with active thread consolidation concerning topics dealing with the weekly releases of the Marvel and DC comics themselves.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  11. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

What other forum should the sports and fitness forum be merged with for concision?

trek Art?

12. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I've personally saw a good argument for it for quite awhile. It would include both the comics and the adaptations (movie and television) from them. Out of all possible options for a subforum, it would be the best (but that doesn't necessarily mean there's a need for subfora).

13. Captain Craig

Thanks for chimming in Alidar. I could not recall this being discussed recently and didn't think to look in the QS&F forum, sorry, so I hope that these aren't that close together in terms of inquiry.

What would constitute a need for the creation of sub forum? Number of threads? Activity of threads? As I said in my OP I'm not advocating for the removal of any other sub forum. I only used BSG and SG as examples. I participated in BSG with a rewatch thread last year and currently have one in SG so I'm not asking for removal. I used to hit the Sports one more frequently but I digress.

Is there a frequency with which the mods have discussion about the creation of new sub forums. What criteria was discussed for not creating one if brought up?

I was only trying to think of a way to streamline the SF&F forum by starting this thread. Thanks.

14. Alidar Jarok

Honestly, I think the biggest concern about whether or not to have a subforum is whether discussion of this particular topic is drowning out discussion of other topics. The worst thing to happen is to have a subforum and then find the regular forum is now dead.

Right now, superhero movies just happen to take up the bulk of our conversation here. There are several sci-fi movies coming out about now that I haven't seen any discussion of. If those were being drowned out, it would be different. I guess the question is whether those threads would see some light if there were a subforum. The other question is would there be more discussion of print media comics if there were a subforum.

Like I said, I'm in favor of one. There's just a lot of concerns any time you add something new.

15. Captain Craig

After Earth with Will Smith for example? I know I'm trying to decide just how interested in that I am.

I appreciate your response and perhaps the next time the mods meet it can be re-evaluated using the points you made.

I personally don't think the sub-forum would die as, if nothing else, the related TV/Movie projects for the foreseeable few years would keep it active. I see the possible concern though for the regular forum. If I understand you correctly it's possible the abundance of the comic material "forces" people to scan the other threads and perhaps chime in there as well when they might not if there were a comic sub forum?

The main flow of the forum would then make the show threads for Fringe, Defiance, Walking Dead, Warehouse 13 etc stand out more on the top page or two? Other re-watch threads as well? The question is just, would people still participate? I think they would as there is lots of crossover. It might drop some but not be on life support I'd think.

Thanks again! :techman:
    Unless another mod wants to chime in or someone else has an idea I'm fine with the thread locking.

16. Alidar Jarok

Keep in mind I'm not a mod of this forum and I'm not an admin. I'm basically just expressing my thoughts (and since we don't have annual meetings or anything like that, they'll probably read my thoughts by reading this thread).

As for the movies I'm referring to, there's After Earth and there's the Tom Cruise movie. It's actually a sci-fi heavy summer.

17. Captain Craig

Right, should've checked the bottom of the thread page I was just assuming you were.

There is a grade/review discuss for Oblivion.
    I may see that next week, mid week.

Pacific Rim doesn't seem to be getting much talk overall though.

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I vote no.

My problem with this is that I'm interested in both, and I'd rather not go into two sub forums every time go come here. It's more convenient to have both in a single subforum.

Also it's only in the summer seasons that the are many comic topics because of the movies, they die a lot down during the fall to spring seasons.

19. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I think that maybe all the entertainment forums need to be rearranged. Its not really clear sometimes if a certain movie should go in TV and Media, or in Sci-fi. Oftentimes, two different threads for the same movie get created because people don't check both forums.

Should a movie review for Oblivion go in Sci-fi, or should it go in TV? What about the fact that it was based on a graphic novel?

I have no suggestion for how they should be rearranged, however.

20. Turtletrekker

Well, at least as far as the thread I startred is concerned, that was quite some time ago. Over five years! Interestingly, Captain Craig, you chimed in on that thread as saying that you didn't see the need for such a forum. :lol: