Ms. Marvel - SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Hermiod, Jan 25, 2009.

1. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

So far Captain Marvel and Uncle Ben are still dead... but that's about it. Even Barry Allen is back.

2. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I may be lost, but how did you get that they were killing off Carol from just what happened in Dark Avengers #1.

Osborn replaced her with a look-a-like yes, but I keep getting the impression that it just meant she was going to go "Rogue" and join up with the other Avengers.

Granted I haven't been reading her solo title (I'm really behind.)

But unless this was announced somewhere else, I'm still having trouble leaping to ger death based on Moonstone masquerading as her.

Update:

I just found this over at Newsarama so I'm guessing this is the story the OP was initially referring to.
    http://www.newsarama.com/comics/010922-Ms-Marvel-Reed.html

3. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Marvel are openly flaunting her death now.

In her own book, she is going after Norman Osborn because of some things that happened while she was in the Air Force and then the CIA before she gained her powers.

It all goes down in Ms. Marvel #35-38, after which Moonstone will take over the solo title.

My only real hope here is that she is going to fake her death in order to fully go after Osborn.

4. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow this sucks. I really love reading about Carol, not just Ms. Marvel. It should be a 'baton' to hand off and just put someone else in the suit and then read their story.

Captain America is a different situation because they went with Bucky which had a tie to it. If they had put some bad guy in the suit and then had him become Captain America and the focus on the comic I'd be WTF? about that too.

They are really trying hard (maybe too hard) to sell this whole "Dark Reign" thing.

5. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

How do they think their readers would react if The Amazing Spider-Man was suddenly about Mac Gargan ? The reaction to Brand New Day wouldn't even be close to it.

I don't normally get upset about comic book storylines, I even accepted Brand New Day, but this is my second favourite character and they're killing her off. Most of my avatars on here are from Ms. Marvel covers, I look forward to reading her book every month.

Marvel - you already killed Cap, just let me know when you're going to do the same to Spider-Man so I can stop reading your books.

6. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

meh - the fact that it's explained so casually in an interview tells me it's just a fake-out. Even if she died, so what? she'd get better.

7. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Rouge is my favourite character! I love how his red power ring can do so many different things, it's like a magical swiss army knife!

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The 80s were great. Captain America kept wigging out and slaughtering mobs of people. They knew how to replace Captain America back then and keep it interesting

9. the Dagman

the Dagman Commodore Commodore

Yes. Marvel Studios. Remember when they formed their own studio? Just so that they could stop licensing their characters to studios who had no idea why the property they just licensed was popular and assigned someone to revise it for the big screen?

Well then, how about learning to spell her name correctly then? R - O - G - U - E.

Rouge is a type of make-up.

It's a common mistake, true. But if she's really your favorite shouldn't you show her the proper respect of spelling her name correctly?

10. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

now read it again.... :guffaw:

11. blaXXer

blaXXer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

FTFY:bolian:

12. Morfius

Morfius Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ms. Marvel first appeared around the time that Marvel Girl got dosed with cosmic rays. A more powerful Jean Grey could have been Ms. Marvel instead of Phoenix. . . . a real lost opportunity!

13. Guy Gardener

I know Zemo used the moonstones to fix his face, change his appearance if you will but that isn't listed as any of karla's abilities because I was wondering how much of Carols identiy she ws going to assume, since Zemo had two stones when he was doing that and these things like to work in groups. But reading the wiki told me something I must have forgotten... The Moonstone is actually a Kree Gravity Stone which had bonded to her...

Karla might not have known or been on friendly terms with Mar-Vell, or even entered the scene before he died, but her powers are the result of Kree fucking around, which means that she technically has a right to the name Captain Marvel.

Monica should kick her ass too though.

14. Quantum

Quantum Captain Captain

First of all Rogue is not my favorite character, I much prefer Bobby Drake.

P.S. You spelled her name wrong once as well.......

15. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

Joey "Dork Lord of the Suck" Queseda strikes again!

16. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    :rommie:

17. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

Two words:

Jemas

Queseda

Marvel Entertainment doesn't give a frak anymore about the comics except as fodder for the movie division.

18. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Well, this news does make me glad I decided to completely drop Marvel comics. Ms. Marvel is easily my favorite superheroine in the Marvel Universe. It's like they decided to rape all of my favorites one by one:

Captain America: Dead
    Iron Man: Fascist Asshole
    Spider-Man: Almost 20 years of character development gone in an instant
    Ms. Marvel: Dead
    Deadpool: Cancelled and revived by a crappy writer

19. Guy Gardener

Go watch the movie Hulk vs Wolverine, Deadpool is insanely funny.

I suppose I should read the article but are they changing the creative team?

O.

Carol should have been the new captain marvel Years ago.

How long is Karla going to put up with that silly toothless feminist diatribic honorific if there's a teenager "out ranking" her four feet away on the podium. That Marvel Boy is going to get a Columbian neck tie soon enough half way though a booty call witht he good Doctor Sofen.

Doctor Marvel?

"I didn't go to evil psychiatrists school for seven years to be called Ms. Marvel."

Quasar will not be happy either, but Hulkling is just cluess.

GENNIS!!!!!!!!

20. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now that I know the full score, I'll also say that the casual way they dropped mention of Carol's Death just goes to show that she won't be gone long.

They've been attempting to come up with a Marvel version of Wonder Woman for the past couple of years in their relaunch of the Ms. Marvel title. I don't think they'd be ready to just give up on their efforts of making her a Top Tier Character just yet.

Marvel doesn't really have a version of the DC Trinity, but
    -Spider-Man
    -Captain America
    -Iron Man
    -Ms. Marvel

Are about as close as you could get. (IMHO)