TNG fans please identify yourselves ...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Gold Grizzly, Oct 31, 2005.

1. The Hooded Man

The Hooded Man Ensign Red Shirt

Hey! I'm another new-type.

I'm The Hooded Man (although you can call me Hood if it's easier!), I'm 35 and I'm a TNG fan!

I'm currently having my first full rewatch since my wife and I picked up the Blurays rather cheaply (20€ a pop in the local department store!) and I've found I've enjoyed the first season and a bit more than I remembered. Even 'Justice' wasn't as painful as my memory of my first (and only, until recently) viewing.

My biggest surprise so far with the rewatch is how much I'm enjoying Data. The movies really killed off any liking I had for the character as, in my view at least, he got too much focus at the detriment of the other characters. The fact that I can still find joy in Spiner's performances in this rewatch is a great relief!

2. Dustivus Jey

Dustivus Jey Cadet Newbie

Hello, I'm Dustivus Jey, or Dust if you want. I'm 26, from Atlantic Canada.

I've recently rewatched the entire series again, since it's been a few years. I have a very fond nostalgia for Star Trek TNG; it was my grandmother's favorite show as I grew up. I spent a lot of quality time with her watching it and it always brings back fond memories, and helps to keep her in my memory.

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Welcome to all the latest newbies! :)

4. FrankT

FrankT Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I actually grew up with TNG - my family watched it regularly when I was little, although I don't remember much of it. My granddad did get the official fact files though, and I learned most of what I know from there. I haven't had too much of a chance to watch the show nowadays, although when I'm finished watching the original series I might get the DVDs or Blu-rays.

5. Ghost_of_Bubba

Ghost_of_Bubba Cadet Newbie

Greeting all around, folks, I'm Lou. Huge fan of the original series via 70s and early 80s reruns. I certainly have numerous memories of that outstanding show as well as favorite episodes, but The Next Generation really 'did it' for me. I was around 14 when the series hit the air and was hooked from the start. There are many episodes that I'd love to see again though have long since forgotten their titles. I'm also a massive fan of the 'First Contact' film, to the point where the opening music will often really touch me. Through my admiration and enjoyment of the many characters, my wife has become a fan, as well. She is constantly after me to track down the DVD seasons and whenever I watch an episode she'll be there with the "OH! Is this the one where so-and so shows up and so-and-so happens??" comments. :p
    On a side mention, I found a nice stack of ST cards at a GoodWill the other day and I'm having a blast going through them; ahhhhhh, priceless memories for a mere .50. (It appears the cards are from two different sets, TNG and TOS, and they were made in 1991.)

Thanks for having me - lets all have a toast to the Great Bird of the Galaxy!

6. ThankYouGeneR

ThankYouGeneR Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What a wonderful story from out of our past. :cool:

Back in the day I wasn't even going to watch the Star Trek 'pretender'. "NOT GONNA BE STAR TREK" was my mantra.

But my friends all gathered to watch it. I watched it with them.

By the time the first commercial started ... I had transitioned. :techman:

Seriously, it took just that long. Picard arriving from the shadows is probably around the time I felt the Hook. LOL

Devoted seven year follower.

7. JoeCabby

JoeCabby Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

TNG fan here, 35 been a fan since I was a kid. I've been tempted for the past 20 years to buy the DVD Set, but unwilling to spend $100 per season. But thanks to Netflix, I've been able to watch the series all over again. I also finally got to watch the other incarnations and still think TNG is the best (or maybe second best to DS9). Still watching Enterprise, the first couple of seasons are pretty bad compared to the rest so it's taking me a while to get caught up.

As far as TNG goes, Data has always been my favorite character. I still don't understand all the hate for Wesley. Pulaski on the other hand, I can't stand. Q and the Borg were my favourite enemies. Loved any episode that had either of these 2.

8. IrishNero

IrishNero Commodore

TNG holds a special place in my heart. It started while I was in my early 20s and though I loved TOS, there was just something about Picard and crew that seemed truly uplifting. -As if the human race would actually aspire to a higher level of consciousness. Picard seemed more like a ship's father than a captain. The success of this show actually singlehandedly kept ST alive as the original crew was aging and the movie scripts were getting worse. TOS was the one that began it all but it was TNG who kept the ball in play.

9. TPT

TPT Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hello. TNG is the very first Star Trek that I watched, and it turned me into a Star Trek fan. It also helped me get through my awkward teenage years, so I'll always be grateful towards the show. IMHO, this show, along with TOS, constitutes the core of the Star Trek universe.

10. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hi! I've come over from the Voyager/TOS forums. Completely new to TNG. Well I've seen one episode but don't remember what it's called and I do know the characters. So maybe I'm not 100% new... It will be interesting to see Wil Wheaton playing Wesley instead of himself on The Big Bang Theory. Really excited to see more of Q!

11. cooleddie74

Welcome to all the newbies! :)

12. Janeway’s Girl

I watched the pilot last weekend and was bored out of my mind! But seeing as you can't judge a series based on one episode, I watched seven more, from seasons 3, 4, 5, and 6. The episodes definitely improved but I'm just not into any of the characters, they all seem really bland. Data has his moments though. It's weird, I like the stories but not the characters. So I'm going to watch DS9 and then maybe I'll give TNG another try.

13. cooleddie74

The saving graces of "Encounter at Farpoint" were Q's Postatomic Horror trial setting, Riker's arrival on the Enterprise-D and, of course, seeing 137-year-old Admiral McCoy. It's a bit of a sloppy launch for the series but it does have its great moments.

14. Janeway’s Girl

Yes about Q and definitely McCoy! I didn't know that was him until after his scene. Talk about being slow! I should have realized who he was when he mentioned Vulcans. How the heck did he live that long!? Like I said, I've enjoyed the couple episodes that I've seen so far. I just kind of want to watch DS9 more but will continue with TNG after. Maybe then the crew will grow on me.

15. Isolinear

Isolinear Commander Red Shirt

Just realize there will be lots of events and characters in DS9 that were introduced in TNG, so you'll be confused now and then.

BTW, I'm 37 and I think TNG's Yesterday's Enterprise is what made me a lifelong Trekfan. Don't get me wrong, I was already enjoying the first two seasons and TOS reruns, but that particular episode made such an impression on me.

16. Janeway’s Girl

I already know who O'Brien and Keiko are, and obviously Worf. Best Of Both World's was one of the episodes I watched so I understood Sisko's dislike of Picard. As for everything else, I'm no stranger to confusion. I watched the TOS movies before the show so I had no idea who Khan was or his beef with Kirk. I'll muddle through.

Regarding TNG, I liked all the episodes with the TOS cast and I Borg.

17. Starborn Dragon

Starborn Dragon Captain

It's time for some sarcasm.

insert sarcasm here.

Sarcasm sarcasm sarcasm, sarcasm

End sarcasm now.

Sorry, just needed to vent some plasma from the nacelles, er, express some sarcasm.

18. Granola Gwen

Granola Gwen Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hey, I've been a TNG and somewhat of a TOS fan since February, but I use to watch ST often when I was a kid. Oddly enough, I can't remember which series it was. I've always been a fan of astronomy in school, it would be one of my top dream careers besides being a cartoonist. I enjoy simple cartoon programs so my mind is that of a whimsical child I guess. My favorite TNG character is Data followed closely by the captain himself.

19. STNGfan

STNGfan Cadet Newbie

Well, I'm new and a big TNG fan for nostalgia reasons. I had never watched the original or TNG until I went to live in Europe. Sky One was the only English TV channel I got and they would play The Simpsons followed by TNG and that's when I got hooked. I have Hulu Plus and Netflix and they seem to have all the series - I never watched any of the others. My father was a huge original Star Trek fan and I've seen some of that series. None of the later ones. Does anyone have a recommendation for one of the other series that they think is the best?

20. cooleddie74

^
    Welcome! :)

Try Deep Space Nine and Enterprise. Definitely those two series.