More 3D Printing

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by MadMan1701A, Jan 30, 2015.

1. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

Hey guys,

Sorry I've been away for a while... things have gotten pretty busy printing things for people, and gearing up for Pensacola Comic Con at the end of February.

I don't think I've posted any of these here, but here's some of the newer stuff. :)

I upgraded my Enterprise model with grid-lines to match the CG model, which I think adds a lot to it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also did some jewelry, by request. :) I did these cameo style Doctor Who ones for my wife:

[​IMG]

My latest Sonic, built for a customer in England:

[​IMG]

The biggest thing that people asked for at the last con I was at, was why I didn't have any Star Wars stuff. :) This time, I'll be ready...

[​IMG]

These two are just ones I downloaded from Thingiverse, but I wanted to have some examples that weren't spaceships. :) I really liked how the T-800 head turned out.

[​IMG]

This is the latest model built for a customer, that I actually sent out earlier today. I think that Constellation poses as Enterprise pretty nicely. :)

[​IMG]

I've got larger and more pictures on the Facebook page, if anyone wants to check it out. :)

Later guys,

-Ricky

2. Madkoifish

Madkoifish Commander Red Shirt

That looks good It would be cool to poop out my Onimaru or something on one of those things but the meshes would probably cause the software ulcers. IE the way I break my models up in bits. I forget, which printer do you have? The idea of making your own models say in 24" as parts is just cool. Still fenced on these things as the nightmare I have heard from people getting things zeroed in.

3. MadMan1701A

Thanks. :)

I've got a FlashForge creator, which is a clone of the original Makerbot Replicator.

I remember the Onimaru... shouldn't be too hard, really. The mesh has to be manifold, but with booleans and some things I've learned, it's doable.

This machine is a champ... I spent about an hour calibrating it the first time, and have been good since. A lot of the problem is expectations... it's not going to print like a 20,000 Stratasys machine, but it does pretty good. :)

-Ricky

4. Madkoifish

Madkoifish Commander Red Shirt

Yeah I get that it is pooped plastic of a specific dai and are limited by the flow of the material and stepper motors IE they have a rez. That is the one thing media really falsely makes these out to be something spectacular and show off one of those 100k machine printouts while talking about gen 1 makerbots. HAH

I have just seen people fail over and over with really ugly results. IE that whole tinker livel of fooling around with something. Some it seems they just set up and it just spits stuff out others seem to fail 10 times per OK print.

The thought would be just as a object not as a super detailed model. Though outside of that I would have to really consider if it is a justifiable expense.

The Onimaru would need a lot of massaging to work as she is far from being a water tight object and has all those modeled in interiors It would need capping and loads of clean up.

5. MadMan1701A

Yeah, it's sometimes easier to just build a lower detail version of the model from scratch. :)

I've had really good luck with mine... the only failures I've had are because of something I did.

6. gerbil

gerbil Captain Captain

So how much are you gonna charge for a model of the Enterprise there? ;)

7. MadMan1701A

I'm not sure if we're supposed to discuss stuff like that in the thread, but one like that, I've been doing for 50, 75 if it's customized. :)

-Ricky

8. MadMan1701A

Morning,

I got my latest model built, separated into parts, and ready to print. :) It's the Armstrong class, which is also the same ship as the red Excelsior from Into Darkness.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm going to try and record a HD video of it printing, tonight. :)

-Ricky

9. 1701TPA

1701TPA Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

^^^ SO AWESOME RICKY:techman::techman::techman:

10. MadMan1701A

11. GhostLoveScore

GhostLoveScore Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Your enterprise looks great! BTW, I wanted to do something similar, print my interior models and sell them, but I decided that I can't do it because of copyright. How do you deal with it?

12. Solarbaby

Solarbaby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Are they solid throughout or do parts need attaching?. I'd be very interested in getting a model of my quantum class design.

These look fantastic.

13. Solarbaby

Solarbaby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[yt]http://youtu.be/GphL0oz-gHc[/yt]

http://youtu.be/GphL0oz-gHc

This is the only video I could find on printing Star Trek ship. Looks a bit rough compared to yours

14. MadMan1701A

Honestly, I'm planning to stay small, and treat my models like most of the garage kit makers do; there's a lot of those guys out there making all kinds of things.

-Ricky

15. MadMan1701A

I've been building them in sections, so I can print larger models. It's also cleaner to break the model up, so that you don't end up with a lot of extra support material stuck to the model, that you have to clean off later.

This is what Enterprise looks like, before assembling:

[​IMG]

Send me an e-mail, so we can talk about your Quantum class. :) I can't get your website to come up, for some reason.

-Ricky

16. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ how are the tolerances on this? I mean, if you model a square hole, and a square peg to fit it, how square is the hole and peg? how true are they to each other?

because it seems to me (if the tolerances are there) that you could tailor your future 3D modeling to fit together in sizes that match your maximum 3D printing volume. IOW, a warp nacelle could be 3 times the length if the back sleeved into the middle and the middle sleeved into the front.

hope that makes sense...:lol:

edit: I see the Sonic but just to clarify, I was suggesting your future Blender models be built in 3d printable sections...

17. TE Williams

TE Williams Ensign Newbie

Me too!

18. MadMan1701A

The tolerances are pretty good... There is actually a demo model that I print out to show people, that is a threaded nut and bolt. It works perfectly. :)

What you're saying is definitely possible... I've been working on ways to add pegs and other connecting parts to make the parts fit together better.

They way I'm doing it now works OK for now, though... Superglue actually bonds the parts together almost as strong as each layer of plastic bonds to each other when it cools.

-Ricky

19. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^ Cool. In my mind, I can see the saucer fitting together like a square-cut pizza and nacelles together like vacuum hose extensions. :lol:

Gonna have to look more closely at the costs of this 3D printing stuff.

20. MadMan1701A

Yep, that would work. There are going to be seams though, that have to be filled and sanded.:)

-Ricky