Avengers 2 News, Rumors, Etc. Pictures until release...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Aug 7, 2012.

1. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Did you really feel with the majority of the Marvel movies that, as you were watching them, they only felt like they were setting up sequels? For me, that was only Iron Man 2.

I can't see how Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America (except for the last 5 minutes), Iron Man 3, Thor 2 and Avengers felt this way if you're being totally honest. Guardians probably has more hints at what is to come than all of those combined, in fact.

2. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Iron Man 1 / 3 and The Incredible Hulk (which I feel is terribly underrated) are the exceptions; all the others, to me, felt like they were farting around for two hours as a way of saying, "Don't worry, The Avengers is going to be really great! That's the one you should be excited for!" They just felt creatively empty, by-the-numbers stuff that existed solely to set up the big team-up movie (and I feel that shows in their scripts; Captain America falls completely off the rails in its third act, Thor grinds to a screeching halt the minute he falls to Earth and only barely recovers some momentum when its third act begins, etc.).

I mean, I get it. Marvel's film strategy is brilliant content marketing -- it's just that it's led to very empty filmmaking, and I generally believe that isn't going to change given that with a few exceptions they continue to hire workman directors who will just churn stuff out of the factory (like Thor 2, which was actually pretty decent because it was divorced of all the world-building shit, but was so incredibly ugly). At least Iron Man 3 and Guardians were genuinely stylistic, and you can point to them and say, "Yeah, Shane Black and James Gunn had their hands all over those two films." Say what you will about The Amazing Spider-Man 2's cluttered disaster of a script, but at least its visual and especially sound design was incredible.

3. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Still don't see it with Thor. If we didn't know better, when that movie ended (Thor was back at home, the trouble was dealt with, the gate was completely obliterated) there was no way one would think "Yup, that's set up for Thor to show up on earth for a team up in the next movie". You have the Coulson connection, but then that's left behind completely as far as the end is concerned.

Say what you will about enjoying the films, the pacing, the writing, etc, but for the most part they all stood as their own movies.

4. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I kind of like the part of Thor that Thimby seemed to hate... his adventures on Earth... because it not only works a fish-out-of-water story as well as journey of learn humility, and I felt detached when he was in Asgard and it was all SFX and a lot of melodrama. So, my feelings on Thor were similar to Ebert's reaction to The Voyage Home, wherein what happens in San Francisco was the real story and more interesting that what happened in outer space.

In general the Marvel movies are very slight. There aren't many themes. The connections between the films are tenuous, the actual threads are inconsistent, and most of the time it's all just an excuse for stupid easter eggs. Most of them have the same exact third act action scene, and, before that, they are running in place with plots that are full of holes.

I'll give them credit for the first Iron Man.. the suit looks good on screen... (except when he's flying next to jets and the scale is all wrong) and I never thought that Iron Man would look good on screen.

5. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

Wasn't the after credits scene in Thor with Loki on earth, possessing Skarsgards character or something?

6. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Which the Avengers ignores by having him not remember Loki at all and having the glowstick of destiny be a physical means of gaining mind control, which Loki seems not to be able to do, but that The Other can.

Unless he had already met The Other and Thanos, and was using their ability to connect to someone near the Tesseract. Which doesn't explain Selvig's total ignorance of Loki when he finally arrives.

No "hey, you where the guy in my head for months!" going on.

7. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Yeah, that issue confuses me too. He goes from Asgard to Earth to Chitauri space back to Earth? But if he was influencing Selvig as Selvig was introduced to the Tesseract, then why later did he need the scepter to connect to the Tesseract in order to generate a wormhole from Chitauri space to Earth? Although in regards to this, I suppose Loki could have been using some Asgardian telepathy to connect to Selvig. After all, earlier he could hear Thor through the Destroyer, which isn't exactly a true machine by human standards.

And after he let go of Thor and fell into the disintegrating Bifrost beam, how would he have gotten around in space, anyway? He didn't appear to have any propulsion device on himself.

8. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I'm guessing the Bifrost is designed by default to lock onto planets, and that the beam shifting meant it sent him with it's last ounce of power to the nearest world it could connect to.

Which unfortunately happened to be Thanos controlled and was brought to him immediately, and managed to charm his way into a bargin of some sorts.

I'm sure Thanos would grant him any means he needed to "look" through the eyes of anyone near the Tesseract, the most powerful of the stones he wanted so badly. But probably only enough to send mental suggestion. Which the film renders for the audience as Loki (IIRC only in the reflective surfaces or something).

A bit of a stretch, but it's all I can really think of to link to it all right.

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

And this nonsense click-bait non-problem has been easily rectified-- Instead of showing the trailer during next week's AoS, they will be showing an actual clip instead. My guess would be the "party scene" shown at SDCC.

Also, it seems the the following week will be a skip week for AoS, but we will still be getting Marvel content--Marvel 75 Years: From Pulp to Pop!, which will also feature Age of Ultron footage.

10. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Guardians sets up its own sequel and also explicitly sets up the Infinity Gauntlet storyline.

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

And THAT scene will get leaked online a few days before it airs on Shield. :p

12. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

I wonder how many forms of Ultron there will be in this movie. In the comics, although he often has the same basic helmet design, the rest of his design has changed many, many times. It actually makes more sense to have Iron Man design him in this as well, since Tony's suit has also changed several times, or been adapted for different enviorments.

Of course that'll also help merchandising ;)

13. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

14. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

It's nicely edited with perfect timing for Cap's door kicking and Scarlet Witch's scream. :lol:

15. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

17. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Pinnochio/Ultron Mash-up
    [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOdQCN5koXA[/yt]

18. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

19. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Now Pinocchio is creepy to me. :p :lol:

20. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

New Clip from the start I presume, I loved how worried Thor looked when the Capt began to get some pull when trying to pick up his hammer :lol: