STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

:lol:

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Are we still talking about this?? lol

Actually the genetically engineered (nanotech??) blood seems more possible to me than reviving people from the dead epic-ally with proto-matter and then magically reinserting their souls. STID has prime trek beat on those points.

4. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

In this case, Chekhov. :)

5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thank you for the correction :techman:

6. trynda1701

trynda1701 Commodore Commodore

Somewhere in the darkest reaches of the Universe!
    Only just found this thread, due to a question my partner brought up last night.

I know this was talked about here years before, about how the Enterprise submerged and got close to shore, and tsunamis were mentioned in the conversation.

But, she asked, did anyone consider that the ship may have caused large tsunamis as it lifted off quickly, instead of carefully when she submerged carefully off screen?

After all, most underwater quakes that cause tsunamis in real life are small sudden shifts of less than a metre. What could a huge 700m starship cause due to that large displacement of water? :eek::eek::eek:

7. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

A meter of displacement in one direction, but how big a piece of crust are we talking about moving here?

I doubt any tsunami was created by anything as relatively small as even the JJ Enterprise especially in an open sea. The 1958 Alaska tidal wave was caused by 40 million cubic yards (~90 million tons) crashing into the narrow inlet of Lituya Bay. The Enterprise D is said to be >1/180th that volume. The JJ ship rising out of an open sea is drop in the bucket by comparison.

drt, Ovation and BillJ like this.
  8. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It created an emotional scene for Spock which finally understood why Kirk did the things he did for him throughout the movie.

9. fireproof78

And Kirk understanding Spock's sacrifice at the beginning of the film.

10. valden

valden Commander Red Shirt

It was a little too soon. there are other ways they could have done a Kirk and Spock emotional sacrifice scene without having to reuse the writing of wrath of Khan.

Kirk death in the film is one of those Star Trek moments that would be on any...need to forget list.

11. fireproof78

Well, it's not on my list. It's on my list of "Yeah, that's a good moment." Other than the dialog I think that moment makes perfect sense for the character of Kirk and his arc through the series.

And, if they hadn't reused the dialog of TWOK then perhaps the scene would be more palatable on a level. But, for me, it works.

Mileage will vary.

saddestmoon, burningoil and Ovation like this.
  12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought Kirk's death was great. It worked as an emotional climax to the Kirk and Spock friendship arc, the entire film builds towards it. It works as a clever mirror to Wrath of Khan too, where in this universe some of the same things happened in a bizarro reverse manner 15 years earlier. You can look at "Yesterday's Enterprise" and GENS for the Enterprise-D being taken down by Klingon Bird of Prey's causing warp core breaches in 2 timelines 4 years apart, or "Before and After" and "Year of Hell" for Seven taking Kes' place in a Jefferies tube with Tuvok and a Krenim torpedo in 2 timelines.

What needs to be forgotten is Spock's "Khaaaaaaaaaan!" afterwards, which was godawful. God. Awful.

Smellmet, saddestmoon and fireproof78 like this.