SW AU - A Glimmer of Hope

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by CaptainSarine, Oct 8, 2009.

1. CaptainSarine

CaptainSarine Commander Red Shirt

USS Avenger

Now what makes you think poor obi is dead?? ;) No comment... :)

Gojirob

1 - What a great idea for an episode of TCW! It would be bitterly ironic if Obi-wan tries to talk Anakin out of staying, only for that to be exactly what pushes Ani to the Dark Side.

2 - I checked out some pictures from River Kwai, and I can definitely see my obi-wan in that way. However, I also like Admiral Young's suggestion of simply an older Ewan McGregor. So I'd say you can imagine him either way! :)

Nerys

Yes, Anakin's breathing apparatus is temporary, like an inhaler and he has to have various medical procedures to help. And yes, Anakin's body is just as damaged, but in a different way (lightning attack as opposed to lava)

Admiral Young

Wow! Thank you so much, I am hugely touched that this is your favourite thing to read on the internet. That really means a lot!! :eek:

Yes, I can see an older Ewan McGregor, though also a less old Alec Guiness as well. It's up to you how you want to read/see/hear him in your heads.

I'm glad you like the Ani/Obi relationship - what you mentioned about the Lucas intention in Attack of the Clones, beginning of Revenge is exactly what I was aiming at.

As to the Sun Crusher vs. Death Star debate... I guess we'll see! :lol:

The Badger

Thank you so much! Great to have another commentator who enjoyed it.

Well, more coming tonight or tomorrow, a pretty intense chapter if I do say so myself. Can't wait to read all your thoughts!

Joel

2. CaptainSarine

Chapter 12
    Leia hated politics.
    As she stood, her back against the wall of the Palace’s vast reception room, she stifled a yawn. All of this talking, posturing and haggling - give her a flightstick or a lightsabre any day. Why couldn't people just stop wasting time with fancy speeches and flowery words and just make a decision?
    Today seemed even worse than the past few days had been, though. Tarkin had not shown up, claiming that he had a last minute meeting with the Emperor to attend. None of the minions he had sent in his stead were able to make a decision, so the negotiations seemed to be going round and round in circles. More than they usually did, anyway.
    She fought back another yawn. Three days the talks had been dragging on. Three days of bald-faced lies and false promises - and that was just on the Alliance side. As much fun as it had been at times to watch that Corellian snipe at Tarkin, most of it had been boring, tedious details. Who should receive the mining rights on this asteroid? What planet should be given up if we are to gain this one? How many ships of each side should be allowed to remain near the Corellian Line? By the Force, sometimes she wanted to scream.
    Of course, her nightly activities didn't help her mood.
    Her search for Tantiss and the Emperor’s apprentice were hardly any more exciting. Biggs had accompanied her to an unending series of rundown bars and ill-frequented tapcaffs, looking for information brokers willing to barter Imperial secrets. Surprisingly, there were very few of them willing to deal.
    One tiny break had come the night before. Leia had got back to her quarters after another fruitless series of visits and checked the anonymous message service she had rented in the lower levels. A female Hutt they had contacted on the first night had left her a message. According to the Hutt, she had found an obscure reference to Tantiss in an old galactic almanac, referring to a mountain on the planet Wayland out on the Rim.
    Leia had credited the Hutt’s account and passed the information on to Mace, asking him to check the reference against Jedi Archives. Still, she didn't hold out much hope.
    Wedge Antilles, the Rogue she had assigned to protection duty today, nudged her. She glanced at him, then followed his eyeline. Her mother had turned around and was waving for Leia to come closer. Leia noticed that many of the delegates had stood, stretching beside their chairs or pouring drinks at the table off to one side. How did I miss them calling a recess? She shook her head. Concentrate!
    "Keep your eyes open," she ordered Wedge, then walked over to the table.
    Dropping into a crouch at her mother's side, she leaned in so that her mother could whisper in her ear.
    "Can you sense anything from the Imperial delegation?"
    Leia glanced over at the three Moffs and two generals. Emptying her mind, she reached out with the Force, trying to get a read on them.
    "They seem... Tense. As if they're waiting for something. Tarkin probably."
    "Maybe. Without him here, none of them are willing to talk. Anything else?"
    Again, Leia reached out. "One of the Moffs seems worried, but both of the generals feel... Confident."
    "That can’t be good."
    Leia turned her head so she could look at Padme. "What's wrong, mother?"
    Her mother shook her head. "Nothing I can put my finger on. Something seems wrong. They seem too... Reasonable."
    "And that's a bad thing?"
    Padme smiled. "In this kind of negotiation? Always."
    “What about the Corellian?”
    “Prince Solo?” Both women glanced at the Corellian diplomat, who was carrying on an animated conversation with one of the generals. Padme shook her head before speaking. “He is having trouble staying concentrated. His eyes keep on drifting to the general he’s been talking to.”
    “Why?”
    “He’s worried about the Corellian communications’ blackout.”
    “The what?”
    Padme glanced at her daughter. “The day before the talks began, the military took over the Imperial Communications’ Ministry. Ever since, no one has been able to reach any planet along the Corellia Line.”
    “How didn’t I know about that?”
    “Well, maybe if you had spent less time bar-crawling with your pilot friend, you might have been awake for your morning briefings.”
    Leia felt her cheeks burn. How does she do that? Padme Amidala’s spy network was legendary, but Leia hadn’t expected it to reach as far as Imperial Centre.
    “You should be careful, though, dear. Lance may be understanding up to a point, but he has too much pride to allow himself to be made a fool of.”
    Leia frowned for a moment, then realised what her mother was saying. “You think I’m sleeping with him?!”
    A nearby servant glanced over at them. Leia dropped her voice. “I’m not sleeping with Biggs. We’re… We’re on assignment.”
    Now it was Padme’s turn to frown. “Assignement? What kind of assignement?” She looked into Leia’s eyes, then her frown deepened and her eyes grew cold. “For the Order?”
    Leia forced herself to hold Padme’s gaze. “Yes. I am a Jedi Knight, mother.”
    “What have they asked you to do?”
    “You know I can’t tell you that.”
    “Commander Skywalker, I am giving you a direct order. You will tell me what orders you have received.”
    “No.”
    “Do not try my patience, Leia, or – “
    The double doors leading into the reception room burst open, cutting Padme’s threats off. They banged against the walls, making everyone jump. Her Jedi reflexes brought Leia to her feet just in time to see a column of white-armoured stormtroopers rush in to the room. She glanced up to see more of the soldiers filling the corridors and arched balconies on the first and second levels.
    “What is the meaning of this?” Leia turned to see Han marching towards the ‘troopers, his face dark as a stormcloud.
    “I was about to ask the same thing,” her mother said, getting to her feet. Her anger forgotten, she looked as regal as a Queen and as angry as a Tystorian she-bitch protecting her cubs.
    The troopers separated in two columns, revealing Grand Moff Tarkin stood in the doorway. Behind him stood two of the Sith priests, draped in robes that hid everything but their eyes. Each one of them had a strange curved pipe wrapped around their chests and shoulders, affixed to which was a fur-scaled salamanderlike creature.
    “Tarkin! What do you think you’re doing? You do realise that I’ll…’
    “Oh do shut up, Solo,” Tarkin snapped. “I’ve had more than enough of you over the past few days.”
    Solo’s eyes bulged. “How dare you? I’m a Prince of Corellia and…”
    “Actually as of yesterday, Corellia no longer has a prince. It no longer has a King, in fact.”
    “What are you talking about?”
    Tarkin didn’t respond in words. Instead, te threw a padd across the room. Solo caught it as if in a daze and turned the screen up so he could read. His face grew whiter and whiter as his eyes flicked across the contents. When he looked up, he seemed to have grown younger, more fragile. For the first time, Leia realised that he probably wasn’t that much older than she was.
    “This… This is a fake.”
    “I’m afraid not, Master Solo. As of 1000 hours yesterday, the Corellian system officially joined the Empire.”
    “That’s a lie. It has to be,” Solo cried out.
    Tarkin waved a hand. “Oh please don’t make a scene, it won’t change anything.” He seemed to take an inordinate amount of pleasure in humiliating the prince. “As of now, you are a subject of the Empire and you will show me the proper respect.”
    Solo lowered his eyes and bowed his head. Leia felt a surge of anger rush through her. Why doesn’t he do something? No! I have to stay calm. Closing her eyes, she took a deep breath, then stepped forward.
    “He may be, but I am not.”
    “Ah yes, our young Jedi.” Tarkin looked her up and down, then sneered. “Your ancient religion is dead, Miss Skywalker. As dead as you all will soon be.”
    “Not if I have anything to do with it.”
    Leia reached down and unclipped her lightsabre. Reaching out with the Force, she tried to get a sense of what the troopers were going to do – and with a deepening feeling of despair, Leia realized that she couldn’t touch the Force. She couldn’t sense anything. She tried to shove one of the troopers with her abilities, but nothing happened.
    It was like suddenly becoming deaf, blind and dumb.
    “As you can see, we have planned this very, very carefully.”
    “Leia? What is it?”
    “The Force,” Leia whispered. “I can’t feel it.”
    xxx
    Han Solo looked down at the floor. He felt as if his whole world was falling down around him. The padd with his father’s surrender on it still hung loosely in his hand. How could he do this? What did they do to him?
    “As you can see,” he heard Tarkin say as if from a great distance, “we have planned this very, very carefully.”
    He looked up in time to see Padme Amidala take a step towards her daughter. The young woman had her lightsabre in hand, but she looked as lost as he felt.
    “Leia? What is it?”
    “The Force.” The horror in her voice sent shivers down Han’s spine. “I can’t feel it.”
    Solo saw Amidala spin round, her face a mask of fury. “What did you do?”
    Tarkin smiled. “Me? Nothing.” He didn’t need to look behind at the Sith priests for his meaning to be clear.
    “Whatever you did, undo it.”
    “Oh, Padme.” Tarkin tutted. “You really need to be shown your place.”
    He waved a hand. Five of the stormtroopers surged forward as if sharing a hive mind. They pushed Leia Skywalker out of the way, sending her tumbling to the floor. Two of them covered her with blasters? Why doesn’t she… Of course. From what he understood, without the Force, she was just like any of them. Vulnerable. The Alliance soldiers around the walls had surged forward, but from her position sprawled on the floor, Leia waved for them to stay back. The troopers surrounded both women, then looked at Tarkin, who nodded.
    The first fist broke Padme’s cheek. The crack echoed through the room, followed by Padme’s scream as she fell to her knees. The next blow caught her in the stomach, knocking the wind out of her. Han looked away after that.
    Once they had finished, Padme lay on the floor, moaning incoherently, covered in blood and spit. The most frightening thing about the whole thing had been the total silence with which the clones had carried out the beating. They stood over her broken body now, looking at Tarkin and waiting for more instructions.
    Tarkin didn’t look at Padme, or at the troopers. Instead, he stared at the rest of the Alliance delegation. Solo glanced at them out of the corner of his eye – he saw Lance, the Alderaani prince, glaring at the Grand Moff with barely restrained fury.
    “You won’t get away with this.”
    Tarkin laughed. “You simple minded little fool. I already have.”
    He motioned with his hand again. Another group of troopers marched into the room. They split into pairs, one pair surrounding each of the diplomats. With the other troopers’ rifles trained on them, none of them put up more than token resistance, except for Lance who kicked out at his captors until one of the troopers slugged him over the back of the head with the butt of his rifle, knocking him out.
    “Take them away,” Tarkin ordered.
    As the prisoners were frog-marched out of the room, Tarkin turned to Han.
    “You are very lucky, Master Solo.”
    “Really? You’re dying of a horrible disease?”
    Tarkin laughed. “How droll. Unfortunately for you, no. However, you are going to be able to tell your grand-children that you witnessed the birth of a new age. The age of a Reborn Empire bringing peace to the whole galaxy.”
    “I think the other Jedi may have something to say about that.”
    “The Jedi are the past. The Sith – the Empire – are the future.”
    “I don’t think I want any part of that future.”
    Tarkin drew close to him. He looked Han in the eyes, then reared back and slapped him. Pain flared in Han’s cheek and shivered through his teeth. He shook his head and turned back to the Grand Moff as Tarkin leaned in to whisper in his ear.
    “If you don’t learn proper respect, that could very easily be arranged.”
    Tarkin stepped back. “Now, it is time that the leaders of the Alliance learned the price that must be paid when they rebel against the rightful rulers of the galaxy.” He nodded his head. “Pick her up.”
    “No!” Leia stumbled to her feet, still unsteady. She held the lightsabre in her hands. “I don’t need the Force to kill you, Tarkin.”
    “Maybe not. But you certainly need it to avoid a blaster bolt.”
    Before anyone could react, he pulled a small blaster from his sleeve. Showing his military training, he lifted, aimed and fired in one smooth motion. A blue circle of energy spread out from the blaster’s muzzle, catching Leia and throwing her back against the wall.
    “What have you done?” Han breathed. Had he actually killed her?
    “Don’t be so melodramatic. She is much too valuable to be killed. I set it to stun only.”
    With Leia out of the way, the stormtroopers had no difficulty in lifting Padme to her feet. Han winced at the sight of her. The pain of her injuries must have been intense, because it forced her up out of her unconscious state with a drawn out scream. Once she was done, she managed to open her eyes.
    “You… will… never… win,” she said in a croak.
    Tarkin smiled. “Milady, I already have.” He turned to face the whole audience of stormtroopers, Imperial delegates and Alliance soldiers. “Know this. The days when the Empire sat and talked with terrorists and rebels is at an end. From now on, any member of the so-called Galactic Alliance will be hunted down and killed.”
    He *turned back to Padme. “Padme Amidala Skywalker Kenobi. You have been found guilty of treason to the Galactic Empire, of conspiracy to murder the Emperor, and of collusion with the Jedi, from now on branded enemies of the Empire. The only sentence is death.”
    “No, my lord, you can’t,” Han said, taking a step forward.
    Tarkin spun to face him. “You would like to join her? To suffer her fate? Say the word, Master Solo and I will gladly see you at her side.” He waited for a moment as Han glared at him, then stood closer, his voice drawn out with fury. “Well? I am losing patience, Master Solo. It is time you chose a side.”
    Han just stood there. He opened his mouth, looked at Padme, then back at Tarkin. He closed his mouth. Finally, he lowered his head.
    “No,” Tarkin drawled. “I didn’t think so.”
    Turning smartly back to Padme, he smiled. “As I was saying, the only sentence is death. Let all know that the Empire does not offer clemency to those who betray it.”
    Motioning for the stormtroopers to stand back, he called another group forward. Han lifted his head and looked at Padme. She stood precariously on her feet, swaying slightly from side to side. Despite her injuries, she somehow found the strength to smile.
    “The harder you tighten your grip, the faster the Alliance will take all of this away from you.”
    “Do you really want those to be your last words, Padme Amidala?”
    “I wouldn’t give you the satisfaction of saying anything else.”
    Tarkin bowed his head. “Nor did I expect you to. Very well. Men, at arms!”
    Han saw her eyes lift and spear into his soul. He found he couldn’t look away.
    “Ready!”
    She seemed to be pleading with him through her eyes, begging him to do something. He wanted to look away, knowing that he couldn’t help her.
    “Aim!”
    Her eyes darted to the side. He followed them and realised she was looking at Leia. The girl? She wants me to save the girl? But I - -
    Before he could take the thought any further, Tarkin screamed, “Fire!”
    Red fire flickered in her eyes for an instant and then was gone. Padme crumpled to the floor, blood already soaking through her white dress.
    She was gone.
    A moan went up from the gathered Alliance pilots and soldiers. One rushed forward, but a trooper in the gallery above picked him off instantly. The rest settled back, murmuring softly.
    Tarkin looked at them. “This is the Empire’s justice. If any of you would care join us and help spread that justice to the rest of the galaxy, step forward now.”
    No one moved. Tarkin allowed them a moment, then he smiled. “Good. I would have been disappointed if any of you had.”
    Turning, he swept across the floor. The imperial delegation scurried after him, both generals smiling, the three Moffs casting terrified glances at the dead body lying on the floor. As Tarkin walked away, troopers moved in, gathering Leia Skywalker’s limp body and hefting her onto their shoulders. Han just stood there, staring at the bloody corpse that moment before had been Padme Amidala. She never gave me that game of sabaac, he thought numbly.
    “Master Solo!”
    Han turned and saw Tarkin waiting in the doorway. “You are a subject of the Empire now, according to your father’s surrender. Your place is not here.”
    Despite himself, Han felt a surge of relief. Part of his mind screamed out for him to do something, but he quieted it much too easily. Glancing at the soldiers gathered around Padme’s body, he fought back a sudden upsurge of tears. She’s gone. She’s really gone. Turning away, he kept his eyes on the floor as he hurried out of the room. As he passed Tarkin, he heard him give an order to the commander of the troopers.
    “Wait a moment, then kill them all.”
    Han lifted his head to say something, but when he saw Tarkin’s raised eyebrow, he dropped his head again. He hurried away, wanting to put as much distance between the reception room and himself.
    He had almost reached the door outside when the sound of blaster fire and the screams of dying soldiers echoed down the corridor. Trying to ignore the sound, Han hurried from the Palace and into the Coruscant daylight.

3. The Badger

The Badger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ysalamiri? Hive minds? Plus of course all the references to Tantiss....I've a bad feeling about this...

As you say, rather intense. And very dramatic.

4. USS Avenger

USS Avenger Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Oh not good... However, a very good plan put into motion by the Empire, I liked the use of the Ysalimiri (did I spell that right? probably not). As The Badger said, very intense. Surprised to see Wedge with Leia, thought that as a Corellian he would be a part of Solo's staff or something. Than again he was (is?) a great pilot and I imagine he loved flying against the Empire. The first line of this chapter was good too. :techman:

5. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

WHOA. That is one horrible, massive coup. In some ways, perhaps even worse than Corellia simply being gone. The communications blackout also means, though, that there's no way for Han to prove anything he's been told...though the boldness of the attack on the delegation does lend credence to it, because with Han as a witness there could've been a pretty serious backlash had Corellia remained unabsorbed by the Empire.

I also liked that you explained the reason for what had initially seemed like Leia's rather reckless nighttime activities.

And as awful as it was to see her die, I have to say that I thought Padmé got an ending much more fitting to the strength of her character as we saw it in Part I, compared to what she got in Part III.

6. Gojirob

Gojirob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

NG is right. A much better death for Padme than a mere broken heart.

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Anakin isn't going to be very pleased when he hears about Padme's death...neither will Obi-Wan I assume either. That was the darkest and most intense chapter yet. I think you've turned Tarkin into even more of a douche than he was in the original...I hate him lol. I'm starting to fail to see where the Glimmer of Hope is coming in this story, everything has been so...EVIL so far. I practically heard the dark side theme when reading this chapter. Tarkin seems to be this universe's version of Darth Vader as in: ruthless, unrentlenting, ambitious, arrogant, and powerful. Does this Tarkin still have Daala shacked up back at the Maw Installation or did wham bam thank you ma'am her?

8. CaptainSarine

Hi all,

Thanks for your comments, sorry it has taken me so long to respond!

The Badger

Glad you found this intense and dramatic, that was what I was aiming for. :devil:

Yes, things are not looking up for our rebels. A bad feeling indeed... :devil:

Avenger

Thanks! I'm glad you liked the intensity of the chapter, as well as the cunning planning of the Emperor and Tarkin. I thought some people should stay the same, no matter the universe, and one of those was Wedge who remain a great pilot and a member of the Rogues.

Nerys

Thanks so much! Yeah, this is a huge coup/opportunity for the Empire, allowing them to get rid of a major enemy and make a statement to the rest of the galaxy. When the Alliance finds out that Padme is dead...

And yes, I thought this was a better, stronger end for Padme - dying while fighting for what she believed in rather than allowing herself to be murdered by her own husband.

Gojirob

Thanks! Glad you also preferred this version of Padme's death. By the by, I did get your pm and I will definitely have a look at your Ancient Destroyer cycle as soon as the month of November is finished! :)

Admiral Young

No, neither Anakin nor Obi-wan (if of course he survived that fall) will be pleased when they hear of Padme's death.

How cool that you heard the Dark Side theme! :) The Glimmer of Hope... Well, I suppose for now there hasn't really been one, but that was kind of the idea of calling it A 'glimmer' of Hope and not a 'New' hope - there isn't actually much hope and may not be much by the end.

Tarkin is definitely more ruthless and powerful here than he was in 'our' universe. As to whether Daala still exists and is shacked up in the Maw Installation... Wait and See! :)

Thanks again to all of you for your comments,

Joel

9. The Badger

Regarding Tarkin being more powerful and ruthless, I think that might just be because we see him under different circumstances. In ANH he was in charge of the Death Star, and had little to do other than order Leia's execution and say 'You may fire when ready.'

I can fully imagine that under different circumstances he could be as presented here. Certainly I can hear Peter Cushing deliver most of his dialogue as written here (with the possible exception of the line 'Oh do shut up Solo.' To me, Tarkin would be more grandiose, 'Be silent Solo' for example. But that's a minor quibble).

10. Admiral_Young

Yeah I see Peter Cushing deliver the lines...also though Chris Eccelston as wel...

11. Admiral_Young

Two weeks without an update...the suspense is unbearable!

12. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ Agreed!

13. CaptainSarine

Hi guys!

Sorry for the lack of updates, things are craaaazy at the moment in RL!

I'm hoping to be able to have something up by the end of the week.

But thanks so much for your interest in the story, real motivation to carry on!!!! :)

Joel

14. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

Gahhhhhhhh!

RITE MOAR!!!!1111111

:scream:

15. Admiral_Young

Need an update! RL can suck sometimes....particularly when it interrupts the momentum of a good story.

16. CaptainSarine

Hi all,

Sorry things have been so quiet around here. I am real hopeful to have some new material for you by the end of the week - New Year's Resolution 2010 has been to write at least 1500 words a day, so that should mean some new Star Wars material as well!

Fingers crossed and thanks for still being interested, means a lot!

Joel

17. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Commentary on Chapter 7

Gritty doesn’t begin to describe this as Obi-Wan and Anakin come to the realization of Luke’s fate at the hands of Mara. And poor Chewbacca, who apparently never met the Han Solo of this universe, dying as just another short-lived obstacle to the intrigues of the Dark Side.

Great stuff!

18. Gibraltar

Commentary on Chapter 8

The lie didn’t work, but she didn’t swallow the truth either! Great scene in the smuggler’s bar, and very reminiscent of Obi-Wan and Luke hiring Han and Chewie in the ‘OG’ universe. Here’s hoping Captain Detani and her eclectic crew can keep them out of trouble long enough to reach help.

19. Gibraltar

Commentary on Chapter 9

Lots of little details here, revealing much about how the Sith operate in this universe, and what plans Palpatine has for Luke.

Leia’s rocky relationship comes to the fore here, with her familial obligations pitted against her emotions. The fact that she’s a Jedi in the very heart of the Empire, in the Emperor’s lair, is unsettling enough. It could become much worse were the Sith to discover her true nature and heritage.

20. The Badger

Yeah, I know that feeling! RL is such an inconvenience at times!

Don't worry though, we're still interested!