ENT Reference in Star Trek XI? - SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Captain59, May 8, 2009.

1. euphorik

euphorik Captain Captain

the reference to admiral archer wasn't the only ENT reference in the movie; there is also spock's reference to the katric ark, so there are at least two!

i'm totally loving the fact that the only bit of primary-timeline canon that's still in place in the neronian timeline is ENT. ha! so much for the "non-canon" argument (which was totally ridiculous to begin with)....

2. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Where? :confused:

3. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

So, does anyone know whether Abrams is an big ENT fan? (as opposed to being a fan of the other post-TOS Treks?) I ask because with an alternate time line, he could have worked in little references to the other series if he had wanted to.

4. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

I doubt he ever saw a single episode. "I'm not a Star Trek fan" is something he constantly keeps repeating. Orci probably saw at least some of it, he's supposed to be this huge Trekkie and a TrekLit buff.

5. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

Oh, OK, thanks.

6. commodore64

commodore64 Vice Admiral Admiral

Where's that?

7. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice to know there are several references to Enterprise in the new movie. I hope to get my movie novel I ordered soon. I look forward to seeing what's mentioned in the book.Also to finally see the new movie too.

8. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

That scene where Kirk's palms get swollen (reaction to a vaccine IIRC). Bones actually requests something from her, but she remains off screen.

9. commodore64

commodore64 Vice Admiral Admiral

Cool, thanks! I'll keep an eye out for it on second viewing.

10. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm an ENT fan, but to be honest I can't say I liked the reference at all. In fact I thought it was a crap reference.
    Archer was born in approx 2111, the line is said in 2261 (IIRC.) Archer would 150 years old.
    McCoy was only 137 in Encounter At Farpoint, and that the was the 24th Century, and he looked like he was going to die at any minute. So how would Archer be then?
    So you just basically killed a poor old mans dog? The man who saved Earth from the Xindi, who helped formed the Federation, who was dubbed 'the greatest explorer of the 22nd Century'?
    That's meant to be funny?

I much prefer to go by the bio from In A Mirror Darkly pt.2, that Archer still lived pretty old, but to 2245 the day after attending the the christening ceremony of the first Federation Starship Enterprise, NCC-1701. And he wasn't an Admiral, he became Ambassador to Andoria, a councilman on the Federation, and eventually President of the UFP. :techman:
    No that's respect to the guy. Not killing off his beloved pet when he's on his deathbed

11. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'm sorry they didn't put Number One in the film. Although she probably would have suffered Olson's fate.

I liked the Archer reference but I couldn't help but think Scotty killed Porthos. ;)

12. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Well, I laughed. And I'm one of the few people who liked Archer from the start of ENT. There could be all sorts of explanations why he's still alive (he got frozen, trapped in a transporter buffer, visited the Briar Patch, took a trip in the TARDIS and so on). This is science fiction, after all.
    Then again, it might have been a totally different guy. It was just a nod to those who would be able to associate something with it without distracting those who never watched ENT.
    I prefer to think it really was our Archer. It's a nice nod to us ENT fans. I'm content with it.

Well, this bio mentions him becoming Chief-of-Staff before being an ambassador, so he would be an admiral in that timeline, too. (It's not canon, though.)

13. chrinFinity

chrinFinity Captain Captain

Are you sure? it was quite readable on screen in HD.

14. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Its kinda like the reference in the film to the planet called "Delta Vega", which is in completely the wrong part of space as it should be. The writers of the film even admitted this-
    http://trekmovie.com/2009/04/30/interview-roberto-orci-alex-kurtzman/
    That's just lazy to me, and a seriously shitty "nod". What's the point of doing it if it's totally wrong and makes no sense?
    They might as well have had a Kazon walking about the Enterprise in the film. That would have been a "nod" to the Voyager fans, even though it makes no logical sense at all, but hey who cares right?
    :rolleyes:

Ah, Manny Coto...

15. ialfan

ialfan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am forced to agree with you. :(

16. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

How long had Scotty been on Delta Vega? He could have been there a while, close to decade. Yeah, Jonathan Archer would STILL be very old. But people are assuming Scotty was just sent there. Even if previously Jonathan Archer went on to be a Federation President or an Ambassador he would have gone back to using his Starfleet rank while teaching at the Academy.

I like the reference. Even if you figure its a child or grandchild of Jonathan's its still an Enterprise reference. They did not have to do one at all.

17. Count Zero

I remember reading that the people involved with the show said themselves it's not canon, and the last line that says Archer died after seein the NCC 1701's launch wasn't even seen on screen.

And the name 'Delta Vega' sounds so unique that there can be only one in the whole galaxy, right? ;)
    They could have named that planet everything but decided to name it Delta Vega as a homage to the planet Gary Mitchell got marooned on. It's not supposed to be the same planet. It's just name-dropping to make the old Trek fans happy because they get the insider reference.
    It's a funny thing, though, that TOS was quite an abstract show (dealing with a specific moral question or idea without caring whether the setting was realistic or in continuity, e.g. in "The Enemy Within" they conveniently forget about their shuttles to rescue their crew from the surface) but created a fan base that takes everything very literally and obsesses about minute continuity details. But I digress.

18. Count Zero

I'm pretty sure Scotty says he's been on the planet for 6 months. I agree about the rest, though.

19. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

"Delta Vega" is just a designation anyways. If they had put a real star close to Vulcan or a improbable planet near it like - Andoria, I could see the complaint. But that name is generic enough to have multiple uses.

20. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

Well, the transporter mishap with Archer's beagle could have occurred several years before. After all, Scotty is no spring chicken in XI.