Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Starbreaker, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Link

• Avatar is getting three sequels.
    • Filming will begin next year.
    • Released in December 2016, 2017, 2018
    • Cameron has hired screenwriters Josh Friedman (War of the Worlds), Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver (Rise of the Planets of the Apes), and Shane Salerno (Savages, Salinger) to collaborate with him on the screenplays for the three films.

Avatar is what made me love science fiction again, so I'm very excited about the sequels. Now that 3D is the norm, I probably won't be so much in awe, but I expect three very entertaining sequels.

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't even think of a proper story for ONE sequel.

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Lets hope they have the story for 3 decent sequels.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Meh. I already don't care. Avatar was a cute little story for one movie, but just because it looked neat and made a lot of money doesn't mean it deserves to be continued.

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

If we know one thing about studios they love money, and with a Box Office of US$3bn or so, a sequel or sequels was inevitable.

6. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed the heck out of first movie, but three sequels still just sounds completely ridiculous and unnecessary.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I'm not saying sequels can't work, but I felt like the first movie told a complete story. I just don't really care to see more.

8. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

The second part will be largely underwater.

9. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I was just about to open a new thread when I saw this one here. My thread title was going to be "so... uh... Avatar sequels... uh... ok"

See the problem is that, while the first film was fun, and was ground-breaking visually, it just didn't have something that both Star Wars and Star Trek have: a truly interesting universe that it is set in. Sure, it is a visually impressive universe, but both the Star Wars and and Star Trek universes are environments where a plethora of very different dramatic stories can be told. Deep Space Nine truly open up the little corners of the Trek universe for more layered stories. I am eager to see the "stand-alone" Star Wars films, as the Star Wars, at it's best is a universe is very dark. There's more atmosphere, more world-building. There's more that the kid in all of us can imagine would be happening in those universes, and not a whole lot left to the imagination with Pandora.

10. Data's Cat

Data's Cat Lieutenant Red Shirt

Silly naysayers! I love Avatar! Hoping the sequels will be as good as the first one (since sometimes sequels can be pretty bad).

11. Halmirdax

Halmirdax Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If you have good script writers then lots can be done. It has the potential to be turned around into anything. It could be terrible if they get the right writers for terrible sequels, but I've found myself being more impressed with sequels recently. They've set the groundwork, a world and characters, now they can build on it. There's potential, to be a flop or fantastic.

12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Some sequels are as good as the first if not better i.e. Aliens, TWOK. But sometimes sequels can be worse i.e. The Matrix sequels.

13. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

This.

Not everything needs to be sequeled and/or prequeled ad nauseum.

14. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^Agreed.

15. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I like how Cameron couldn't be dared to do a Terminator 2 or True Lies sequel, even though there the potential for sequels was clear as day, and now he announces not only 1, but THREE sequels to a film that seems fully standalone and complete to me.

16. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

At least it will look nice.

But the good movie theatre around me closed, so no more $5 Tuesday movies. It's probably $12 plus $3 for the fuckign glasses.

17. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I loved Avatar and I am really looking forward to more entries.

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I've warmed to the first movie, but I wonder how much mileage Cameron can truly get out of three sequels.

19. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'm not too worried about them running out of plot in the sequels. To be frank, the first one had all recycled plots and designs - they could actually do a lot better with a follow up. Empire Strikes Back time...

20. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I think there's plenty of potential there for exploring the world further, and expanding the Avatar universe beyond just that one world (it would be fun to see Sully exploring other planets, for instance, or joining a group of alien mercenaries for some kind of mission), but unfortunately it sounds like all Cameron is really interested in doing is hitting the same conservation theme again and again. And only exploring different corners of Pandora and it's moons.

Which is going to get really old really quick.