New Info! (Bad Robot press event/villain ID'd, etc.) *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Kruezerman, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Crewman Pratt

Crewman Pratt Ensign Newbie

It's been a heck of a lot of fun hunting for clues and tidbits of information as to who Cumberbatch was going to play. When I read for the first time it was John Harrison I had a complete moment of WTF. Like a lot of other fans I was convinced that it was someone from TOS that was very well known to us. I didn't even know who John Harrison was until another member of the forum pointed me to a wiki article. I can't believe that a dude who walked around in the background in a few scenes and maybe tapped a few buttons would be wonderful fodder for the big bad villain. Maybe the name's the same but the two characters have no relation to one another. Hell, I dunno. Well, I guess now we'll just shift gears and wonder why John Harrison, occasional button pusher, is now a one man army and why he's so ticked off at the Federation. Im certainly all eyes and ears.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do we have to call it a "switcheroo"? It sounds like some 70's board game.

3. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

Kinda glad it's not Khan, myself. If they were to cast Khan, you'd think that today they'd actually cast someone with Indian bloodlines and not lilywhite Benedict Cumberbatch. Sunil Shetty would be a pretty badass Khan. Though I could see Ben Kingsley too....he'd make a great "Khan as a dictator" type.

Alice Eve as Carol Marcus? I like that too. Hope she's more than a damsel in distress.

4. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

@teacake: What else are we going to call it? :)

@ Crewman Pratt: Orci's statement about Cumberbatch's character being from TOS lore was a lie. It is Alice Eve's character - Carol Marcus - who is from TOS lore, not Cumberbatch's (John Harrison).

5. teacake

"Orci fucked us over good"

Yeah, has a ring to it..

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

More of a no name extra that might be named Harrison.

7. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Indeed.

Thank you, Bob Orci, for co-writing a pretty fantastic film that brought Star Trek back into the mainstream...
    ...but you're still full of shit.

Remember that Mr. Orci is someone who believes in the Kennedy murder conspiracy, which would suggest that he's someone who doesn't have the strongest faith and/or trust in the "experts" or people in authority.

I could see somebody with that mindset just gleefully screwing with the fanbase until the movie comes out, the lesson being "just cause somebody's high up the food chain doesn't mean you can trust them.

Basically, I'm calling Roberto Orci out as the real captain of the U.S.S. MakeShitUp ;)

8. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: New Info! *SPOILERS*

I am also glad to see the Klingon homeworld on the big screen.
    Hopefully there will be some nice exterior shots of the planet/capital. It also seems that there might be a glimpse of a Klingon vessel on the 2nd trailer of the film. Sounds very cool!:techman::cool::)

9. teacake

Maybe that's why I don't mind being fucked over like this?

That's one of the more amusing leaps I've seen in these threads.

OH and I would LOVE it if we saw some Quo'nos, not just an interior. Very, very cool.

10. SpaceTurkey

SpaceTurkey Ensign Newbie

IF there is any Khan connection it could be that “John Harrison” is actually Khan using an alias or it could be that John Harrison is his real name and he is one of the other genetically modified supermen from the botany bay.

May be Khan’s empire was India/Asia/Middle East and John Harrison controlled the UK/Europe during the eugenics war? Harrison hitched a ride with Khan?

One of the articles at trekmovie mentioned that trailer 2 has a shot of a “large room (possibly shuttle bay or cargo hold) filled with tubes which have small windows (or possibly control panels) on the top”. Without seeing the trailer it’s hard to say how big these tubes are, but if they’re big enough to fit people in it could be that someone has multiple augments from the botany bay still cryogenically frozen in their possession.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: New Info! *SPOILERS*

According to "Affliction"/"Divergence" only one Klingon colony world was infected with the Augment virus, so both kinds of Klingon should co-exist - and since we only see 4 of the Klingons in Into Darkness unmasked, the canon will remain unviolated on this one.
    And since the Klingon homeworld looked competely different in Enterprise as it had in Next Gen, they can have it look however they want!

12. teacake

I am so happy that beautiful woman is Carol Marcus.

Now I hope Kirk isn't too much of a jerk to her..

13. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

It doesn't appear, based on what little we know, as if this version of Kirk and this version of Carol have any history together prior to her being part of his crew (since she's clearly part of Starfleet), so I'm not sure why he'd be rude to her.

14. teacake

I mean at the END when he leaves her for the Enterprise. Which he will.

15. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Exactly. The virus itself probably reached Qo'NoS at some point (Kor, Kang and Koloth can't ALL be from that same colony, right?), but the vast majority of Klingons never contracted it.

I must say I really liked the ENT look. But judging by the color palette seen in the trailer (reddish/orange), they're going for more TNG-like Qo'NoS.

:guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  16. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's not Harrison from TOS, and it's not a "brand new character."

17. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

And it's not Khan. :p ;)

18. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    If it's the love child of Khan Singh and Harrison I'm quitting.

19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It is :p

20. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant