Life of the Enterprise-A

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by Bry_Sinclair, Feb 19, 2014.

1. AverageWriter

AverageWriter Lieutenant Red Shirt

Except of course that he didn't say that at all. He mentioned that a Constitution Class was in the Fleet Museum when asked if Picard was familiar with THE CLASS of ship. He didn't rub it in Scotty's face by going out of his way to mention "Hey, your ship is worthless! Guffaw!"

2. JeBuS

JeBuS Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think you're splitting hairs, considering your meaning could equally apply to what he said in the episode.

3. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Correct. I still find it amusing that the computer didn't ask further whether he wanted Pike's, Kirk's or Decker's Enterprise. ;)

Since Picard's Stargazer (Constellation Class) was a new design in Scotty's time, Picard could have "connected" to Scotty by talking about it. Surely Scotty might have been interested how the design performed in real life.

To bad, that didn't occur to the screenplay writers.

Bob

4. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Bob that was something I did not think of until now. Could the computer correlate enough data to know Scott wanted Kirk's Enterprise?

5. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We know it's fate perfectly well. It sailed directly into a star because the helm station was unmanned at the time.

[​IMG]

ian128K likes this.
  6. Robert Comsol

<< :eek: :lol: :scream:

The helmsman was taking a break in the head (or the director told the extra who had steadfastily steered the ship through the battle to get lost, because he was screwing up the farewell family shot...:rolleyes:)

Scotty's first request ("Show me my old ship") established that the computer couldn't read minds but needed specifications.

I think all the holodeck in "Relics" had access to was the three-dimensional reproduction of a Constitution Class starship (maybe even just the one from the museum) and simply delivered the best approximation that was stored. But it worked for Scotty, apparently (gotta be grateful for little things). ;)

Bob

7. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

:rommie:

8. Ronald Held

Scott being drunk may have allowed him to overlook minor discrepancies?

9. Robert Comsol

I don't know if the discrepancies were that minor. The floor carpet had the wrong color (Bob Justman visited during shooting and mentioned that), the step from the upper bridge platform to the lower one isn't right, the alert indicator in the turbo lift alcove is re-positioned etc.

But then again, prior to his departure with the Jenolan Scotty hadn't been on the TOS bridge for how long? Over two decades?

I couldn't remember the correct details of my workplace from over two decades ago and being drunk wouldn't really help me remembering. :lol:

Bob

10. Sci Fi Fan

Sci Fi Fan Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Was it the Enterprise-B that was destroyed in Generations?

11. Sam_I_Am

Sam_I_Am Captain Captain

Check a foreign language version of the movie. Certain foreign languages have two translations for 'new'; either 'new' in the sense of 'newly manufactured' or in the sense of 'newly belonging to me', e.g. French's neuf/nouveau.

12. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Could the "A" be like the shuttle Endeavour? A new ship built out of spare-parts/left overs from previous refits/builds. It's certainly explain STV a little better, and explain why she had a short life.

ian128K likes this.
  13. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My take has always been that there were unexpected incompatabilities between the new modules and the old ones. Think about it. The Enterprise we (briefly) see launching at the end of Star Trek IV looks substantiviely different internally than it does in Star Trek V and VI (the latter case looks different to V as well, but only cosmetically so IMO). Now, evidently the bridge module at the very least has been replaced, perhaps because Starfleet think if they're gonna have a new Connie out there, then it had better be updated to a level comparable to the Excelsior class ships they intend to populate the fleet with. So, the bridge module (and probably various other plug-in components throughout the ship) is one of the new designs intended for this fleet of upcoming Excelsiors, but it's been crudely installed into the Constitution architecture which slightly rejects it, and that's why we get these rampant malfunctions all the way throughout Star Trek V.

Basically, a bit more time would have sorted everything out, but Admiral Bennett insisted that the 1701-A had to go on the Nimbus mission for God knows what reason (Get it? "God" knows? Hey? Star Trek V? Okay, okay, don't explain the joke Lance ;)), so they had to launch her, whether the ship was actually in working order or not. Even Kirk felt the need to point out how ridiculous that was, but you know, orders are orders.

14. QuinnTV

QuinnTV Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I had been thinking along the same lines, but you stated it with a better example than I could come up with. :techman:

15. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I took that as meaning new to Scotty, not necessarily new in the sense of 'recently built.' If I got a car that is a 2009 Camry, it's new to me, even though it's not a new car, and I would rightly refer to it as 'my new car,' even though it's not "new" (recently built), but it is "new" (recently acquired).

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

They did go out of their way to show the new Enterprise as being more advanced than it's predecessor. The bridge echoes the Excelsior NX-2000, the interfaces are all now touchscreens etc.
    (which of course totally changes for VI, where buttons return, the lights are left off and the ship looks old and worn out... because Meyer)

Again going back to MSGttE, it said the Ent-A (formerly USS Ti-ho) was built from the ground up, putting the new technology developed for Excelsior into an Enterprise-class frame. Aside from the corridors and transporter (which were built for TMP and modified slightly for TNG), the ship definitely looks different inside.

17. Ronald Held

I have not seen that episode in decades, so I do not recall those discrepancies. Maybe the time since he served on the TOS Enterprise plus alcohol was enough to look correct. Or maybe it was correct enough to satisfy him emotionally?

18. QuinnTV

QuinnTV Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This idea could go along with what SeerSBG was theorizing. You may recall that the TNG Tech Manual made mention of the additional six spaceframes for the Galaxy class. Perhaps, in this earlier time frame, there were enough spare parts to assemble the majority of one ship. These spares alone weren't enough for a single operational ship, yet they weren't going to be called for, as the build program for that class had come to an end. Rather than just scrap their stuff, Starfleet could have used the latest Connie-type technology and a bit of the newer Excelsior shiny stuff - both to field test it on more than just the Excelsior program and to see if any of it would be suitable to retrofit onto the older classes. The A might have been an interesting mix of the outgoing and the incoming.

Suddenly, the Probe appears, etc, etc. The "Plus One" (I hated that Ti-Ho name) experimental pseudo-Connie gets rebadged as the 1701-A.

(Maybe the bridge from TVH just wasn't a good control center for the ship, and they swapped it out.)

19. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Not all of them. When she was originally launched as NX-2000, the Excelsior had a mix of both touchscreens, buttons, and possibly even levers on her bridge.
    http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/tsfshd/tsfshd0660.jpg

20. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, the new Enterprise bridge kind of prefigures the NCC-2000 bridge module of Excelsior, but certainly not the NX-2000 module, which looked radically different.

I like to think the bridge module that we see on the ENT-A in TFF and TUC was a prefab designed for the proposed upcoming fleet of Excelsior class Starships, but it was simply fitted to the NCC-1701-A to replace the old bridge module that it had already been using prior to being rechristened Enterprise. (alongside many other 'system updates'). Hence, the series of crippling incompatibilities that Mister Scott is running around trying to fix throughout TFF. The outdated Connie software is having trouble adapting to the modern Excelsior hardware, and Scotty keeps getting the Blue Screen Of Death every time he tries to beam someone down and then up again.