Do you think we'll ever see Bessie again?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Capt_Pickirk, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Capt_Pickirk

Capt_Pickirk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What do you think? Either as a small cameo/nod or as something fairly vital to a story?

For those who don't know, Bessie was a yellow car that the third Doctor drove around in when he was exiled to earth.

2. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

They should do a story where the Doctor goes back to 70's era UNIT.

3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

As much as I would love to see Bessie again, I seriously doubt it. If we do, it'll be in the 50th anniversary special, but I'm not holding my breath.

Does anyone know where Bessie is right now?

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well they could always borrow Brum if they can't find Bessie. :)

5. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

It would be cool if they found the garage in the episode
    Journey To The Centre Of The TADRIS

Bessie could be parked in there. Don't ask me how.

6. The Nth Doctor

I would die laughing if that happens.

Hell, now I'll be disappointed if that doesn't happen.

7. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

A Bessie used to be in the wonderful Doctor Who Museum in Blackpool, but unfortunately the BBC pulled the plug on it...

8. Ar-Pharazon

I think we all have a lot of expectations about that episode :lol:

9. Nagisa Furukawa

Nagisa Furukawa Commander Red Shirt

There's a moment in the sucking-off-UNIT homage Sontaran two-parter in S4 where Tennant yells at Random UNIT Grunt (who I only remember is named Ross Jenkins due to a creepy obsessive on a DW message board) that since all the new cars had the ATMOS device to find an older model. I gasped when I first saw it and was sure that was going to lead to him coming back with Bessie and Tennant driving it straight into the teleporter and kicking ass with it on the Sontaran ship like he was playing Mario Kart.

Alas, it was not to be. Would've been a delightful moment in a, err, less than delightful story.

10. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always thought that scene in "The Unicorn and the Wasp" when the Doctor is driving an old fashioned car with Donna would have been a great moment for a Bessie call-back. Like, perhaps despite the dire circumstances, he's got this grin on his face as they're motoring along and says something like, "Ahhh, takes me back to the Bessie years!" or something. Donna would just look at him like he's nuts, of course. :D

11. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In the scene where River takes a dive off a building, the Doctor brings her onboard by 'parking' the TARDIS on its side in midair and yelling for Rory and Amy to open all the doors to the swimming pool. River makes a splash as she plunges into the TARDIS.

I have assumed that any room in the TARDIS could be 'rotated' around within the ship's internal arrangement to match up with an external door. I guess the Police Box and the doors would need to get a little "rubbery" to open wide enough for Bessie to enter or leave the garage, though.

12. Ar-Pharazon

^ I'm sure there's some spacey wacey explanation he could use.

Maybe sometime, off camera, he fixed the chameleon circuit long enough for the TARDIS to be a garage. Then he could never get it to change back into a garage so as to get Bessie out again.

Last time we saw Bessie was Battlefield, so lots of chances for the Doctor to tinker with it.

13. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

In his pocket, probably. ;)

That aside, it was seen in comic book form once when the Sixth Dctor had a romp through the TARDIS.

There's probably a Great Untold Bessie Story or something. Bessie is interesting in that it's an anthropomorphised object, but from the opposite direction to the TARDIS (to whom human sentience ought to be imaginary).

14. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

In some of the 8th Doctor novels he has a VW Beetle that he somehow gets in and out of the console room.

Wikipedia doesn't have any details on Beesie's fate. Does not however the Whomobile was commissioned and owned by Jon Pertwee so it's probably held somewhere by his family.

15. The Nth Doctor

I checked Tardis Wikia, too, and they didn't have any information on Bessie's fate. I hope it wasn't dismantled. :(

16. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm pretty sure Tom Baker's Doctor drove Bessie at least once not long after the regeneration.

Was Bessie part of "The Doctor Who Experience"?

17. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Bessie got severely damaged and abandoned in the Five Doctors but apparently it appeared in Battlefield so I have no idea. :)

18. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

19. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well what would be interesting is if - while he can't necessarily go back in his own timeline - he still was able to hit the past here and there - so it's feasible that he could "borrow" Bessie when he wasn't using it in his past incarnation.

That, to me, would be an interesting way to celebrate the 50th - have 11 basically go back through his previous 10 incarnations, maybe like there's something that was always "out of his sight" while he was doing something else and almost predestination. So maybe he needs to do something in Bessie, and Smith could always wear 3rd or 4th Doctor's wardrobe for it briefly. And go all the way back to the 1st.

20. jbny67

jbny67 Captain Captain

Bessie was last seen in Battlefield. The Brigadier said he had kept it in storage for the Doctor.
    At the end of the episode it is driven off by the female cast members to go shopping, leaving The Doctor & the Brigadier alone at the Brigadier's house.
    I always figured the Brig either kept it for himself or put it back in storage