Was Picard wrong in I,Borg?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by indolover, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Rojixus

Rojixus Commander Red Shirt

Why not? If we did so, we would have been out of there by now. You should never go half-assed in war, you either use all your might or you don't fight at all. Terror must be fought with terror, anything that threatens your existence must be wiped out completely and without mercy. To not do so is the height of stupidity.

2. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Somehow I knew you'd say that...and really there is no point in discussing this with you with that childish, simplistic viewpoint..

RAMA

3. ProtoAvatar

ProtoAvatar Fleet Captain

I have no rules in war? I disagree.

The closest analogy we have for the borg is that of an enemy army on a continuing genocidal conquest - TRILLIONS of victims! It's mindboggling! An orgy of death and suffering beyond comprehension!.
    Using the paradox against the borg is allowed by the rules of war. Indeed, considering the number of lives saved - the chances are very high the borg will assimilate the ENTIRE Milky Way in ~10000 years (give or take) using the paradox would be one of the least questionable decisions in war.

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Technically, the Borg are not genocidal...assimilated species are recoverable...killing all Borg is genocidal.

RAMA

5. ProtoAvatar

ProtoAvatar Fleet Captain

The borg killed BILLIONS! Assimilated TRILLIONS into a living hell! Extinguished thousands of civilizations!
    You call this 'NOT genocidal'?
    The borg ARE genocidal according to any serious deinition of the term!

And assimilated species are NOT recoverable in any practical way - NO ONE can 'recover' billions of drones. Recovering ONE drone is an impressive feat.

But - I already answered this:
    'About saving drones:
    It was proven theoretically possible.
    Practically, it is impossible. When Starfleet is able to save BILLIONS of drones, then it would be possible.
    Starfleet trying to stop the borg by saving drones will end in the federatioin being assimilated. Facing the borg and prevailing is already nearly impossible; facing them when encumbered by such a severe limitation will only end in your death.

And since you argue that Starfleet can't touch the borg because they can be saved, then you argue that starfleet had no right to touch a single jem'hadar during the dominion war - like the technologically conditioned drones, the jem'hadar were biologically conditioned, they also had no choice. Yes?'

And killing enemy soldiers who intend to kill you is definitely NOT genocidal.

6. Rojixus

I see you have degenerated to personal attacks when you are unable to refute my position. Oftentimes, simplicity is best. It is that Postmodernist "there is no single right answer" nonsense that will be our undoing. Life is not a shade of gray, it is black and white, right or wrong, good or evil. Those who sit idly by and permit evil to exist are evil themselves, Picard was wrong because he allowed the Borg to continue their unethical ways all so he can claim to do the right thing. He has blood on his hands.

7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I really have no need to refute your position, I consider the fallacy of your argument obvious..the war colleges and academies in the US cover morality in war...I'm afraid your argument wouldn't get much credibilty, intellectually or legally. Aside from the geo-political position, which you seem to not even consider, there is a question of atomic radiation involved, and of course the questionable morality. Its an "all or nothing" position, which is intellectually immature and spurious..much Like George W's proclamation "if you aren't with us, you are against us.." Ugh, the black and white position simple doesn't work, there are so many grays in life. I feel sorry for you if all your decisions are based on this. If this seemed personal, its because people who go around condoning the deaths of millions (especially those technologically incapable of causing us direct harm) don't really deserve a lot of respect in my book. All I can say is I am still glad there are a lot of people in government and in the Pentagon who are rational and don't fall prey to this sort of thinking, because we'd have been wiped off the face of the Earth by now. So this is really the last time I'll discuss this with you..

RAMA

8. Praxius

Praxius Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Terror must be fought with Terror huh?

If that's the case, then what principles and way of life are you defending.... and... exactly what makes you any different then those you finger point as the "Evil Doers?"

Answer: Nothing.... you'd be just as bad.... actually if you used nukes and wiped out everybody there without discretion, you'd be worse.

And I'm sure all the neighboring nations dealing with the fallout would be happy with the US.... like Pakistan and India, whom have Nukes too.... I'm sure China would be pleased, and I'm sure Russia wouldn't be impressed.

In fact, you could kiss all your allies goodbye and be all on your own.... and chances are the US would eventually be turned to glass too by one or more of the above nations.

Great plan.... I can see many of the messages in Star Trek have translated so well with some in the US. :vulcan:

Exactly..... and since assimilated people into the Borg don't actually die in the process, who's to say it wouldn't be the next evolutionary step?

Then all alien races would be in perfect harmony and all working for the same cause.

9. Praxius

Double Post

10. Rojixus

You guys are right, I'm sorry for flying off the handle like that. What I should have said was when it comes to the Borg, there is no negotiation. If you thought you had a sure way to get rid of a dangerous enemy, would you not use it? Picard is indirectly responsible for the death or assimilation of billions. The Borg are not a race. Even if they were, they are wrong to assimilate people against their will. By refusing to use the weapon on the Borg, billions were assimilated when they could have been saved from a fate that is, at least to Picard himself, worse than death. You all may have vehemently objected to my nuclear solution a while ago, but how ethical would it be to sit idly by and let the Borg continue assimilating people against their will?

11. Praxius

Fair enough and good question.

I wouldn't sit idly by and let them get away with assimilating people against their will, that would of course be unjust..... but at the same time I couldn't allow myself to take an action that would wipe out the entire borg at the cost of the lives of so many assimilated people.

With examples like Picard, Seven of Nine, Hugh and his buddies, the borg children in Voyager they took aboard, and the community Chakotay stumbled upon whom all were disconnected from the collective and not only became individuals again, but also many of them were capable of carrying on with their lives...... there's just too much compelling evidence for me to turn a blind eye and allow every other borg to die to save my own skin.

I wouldn't use the Paradox virus, but I'd use all my abilities and resources to find a way to wipe out the collective itself in order to not only free all the assimilated people, but also remove the collective goal of assimilation itself.

If everybody is separated and have their own free minds to think and do as they please like the people Chakotay came across, then you remove the one large threat to us that every borg currently has in common.... then they're no more of a threat then say Klingons or Romulans.... and many would probably head back to their home worlds or seek out other goals.

Now of course that may not ensure no other threats from the Borg may exist in the future, but the future isn't really known, and since we'd never know what possible threats might come from the Klingons, Romulans, Dominion, Cardassians, etc. in the future, I think it'd be a fair trade off.

Of course Picard called being assimilated being worse then death, however, Seven of Nine thought it was perfection for the longest time. Now she was assimilated at a young age, which could have altered her view of being a Borg, but most others who were freed from the Borg eventually gained their memory and individuality back and learned to carry on with their lives, meanwhile still hating the fact that they were assimilated in the first place, thus since the majority of assimilated people would probably feel the same way, I'd be obligated in trying to free as many other borg as possible and prevent more from being assimilated in the future.... the key would be to destroy the collective itself.... not those who are borg.

This goal is of course much more complicated, but not impossible and based on my own principles, it'd be the right thing to do.

12. mark101

mark101 Ensign Newbie

I though it sucked when he didnt destroy the collective. You for sure do it. It's a life or death scenario. The borg are playing a near timelss game where humanity could not win, unless picard destroyed it right there

13. mark101

mark101 Ensign Newbie

tng is heavy on the idealism for sure