FX/editing wishlist/technical/related discussion for STNG-R

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by RAMA, May 11, 2011.

1. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: What new FX/editing do you want to see in the STNG-R?

I've been watching Next Generation-era Trek most of my life and I never knew or heard of that. I always just thought it was a filmmaker's conceit to show warp motion as being different from impulse motion, so the audience can just tell instantly what's going on, kind of like having sound in space or having a figure-eight shaped border in modern-set films the moment a character is looking through binoculars and we need a POV shot (by the way, the only thing good about No Country for Old Men was it's successful departure from this tendency).

However, with regard to star streaks, your explanation is interesting, because if it was just a visual cue for the audience, there are a few episodes where the streaking stars are referred to on screen, such as "Brothers" (Riker says the only way we knew we'd come out of warp was by looking out of a window) and ENT's "Strategem" where the video monitors show streaking stars to maintain the illusion.
    Thanks!

2. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I've only heard his explanation once, but it always made sense to me. It does have the secondary purpose of showing the audience their "speed".

RAMA

3. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

Maybe this will go over, maybe not, but if they are going to go HD, why not change the phaser beam colors or brightness? Like the hand phasers can be the red they are now, but when set to kill they can be a brighter red, maybe even casting a glow and throwing a few shadows to show just how much energy is being channeled. The same with the ships phasers, have them light up the saucer with a visible glow around the point where the beam erupts. So the stronger the beam, the brighter it is. Or deeper the color, anything to just show the different intensities of the beam. Also have the ventral section of the saucer light up and parts of the aft section when torpedoes are launched.

I know the ships are light up like Christmas trees for our benefit, but I liked how the cloaked BoP looked when it fired torpedoes. I would think in reality, a real space battle would look more like that than what we usually see. Ships clearly visible on sensors, but to the naked eye, you would only see the ship when it fired weapons, and you only see the part of that ship that fired.

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

The phasers would be a subtle change but one that could be easily done in the process since they will have to be redone anyway.

We'll never really see a "realistic" space battle on trek anyway, they have to make too many changes to accepted practice...they'll still have sound FX in space, they'll still have to squeeze multiple ships into the TV frame, etc

RAMA

5. CaptainJack

CaptainJack Lieutenant Commander

So is this project confirmed or speculation?
    I am all for adding extra stuff and expanding on what we were supposed to see. No reusing of shots.

6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

It hasn't been officially announced (yet) but the news broke at the Digital Bits, a site that I've never seen post a rumor that didn't turn out to be true. It's almost certainly happening.

7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=141801&page=34

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

http://www.ottens.co.uk/forgottentrek/images/TNG/LaunchWEB.jpg

Kind of like this...

9. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Clicked the link but:

10. Vanyel

Tried to follow it manually, but couldn't figure out where to go.

11. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

Watched a couple of eps the other day thinking about what I'd like to change.

In The Schzoid Man I'd like to see them do something with the "warp down" special beaming at the start of the ep.
    Would be interesting if they kept the ship looking like it was closer to warp than the standard "warp streaks slow down, The Enterprise hovers in orbit for a good few seconds, beaming takes place, Standard Enterprise warp speed stock shot" we got.

Even if they had to make a new strechy-slow down from warp effect it might show the harshness of this mode of transporting that the script suggest but doesn't quite come off visually.
    Maybe even have the transporter beam scatter around the room and briefly be "in the wall!"

If they have to change the SFX does that count for the Transporter beam btw?
    It'd be nice if they could re-do the early years transporter as in series 1/2 the transportees kinda just fade away with a minimal amount of sparkles which looks a bit lame these days.
    Would be good if they could give that a bit of a pep up.

The second ep I've seen recently is that little known and rarely discussed ep "Yesterday's Enterprise"

What I thought would be a nice visual treat for all of us is if the Enterprise C could do some...oh I don't know, firing back?
    I know the ship is supposed to be damaged but I very much doubt Tasha Yar transferred over to tactical to sit there and watch her shields drop in power with every hit!
    The whole time it lumbers around as just a baby lion cub that the mother lion is desperate to protect because it is too young to defend itself!
    Well I think this cub still has some claws!
    It'd be nice if it got off a few phaser shots...a torpedo even...ANYTHING!

Also it has been a while I saw this episode and in my head I always assumed the Enterprise D exploded at the end after the C went through the rift and the Bird's of Prey rounded on it...
    It made the ending more powerful too as there was no getting away from the fact Picard made the ultimate sacrifice for his predecessors.
    I assume this is what the producers intended to imply in the scripts they just ran out of money to actually blow up the model on screen?
    Would be nice if this is rectified too!

12. Vanyel

Speaking of Yesterday's Enterprise, one of my WTF moments if when the first BoP attacks. Captain Garrett goes right from the play book (Showed she was a worthy person to Captain an Enterprise) raised shields, went to Red Alert, confirmed that Picard was safe aboard 1701D. She then orders evasive maneuvers, and Castillo replies they doing "Gama sequence" I believe. The exterior shot right after that shows both Enterprises just sitting still likes rocks. It would have been nice to show both Enterprises moving about a bit even if it's just one small BoP. Maybe even the 1701D trying to put itself between the BoP and the 1701C like they did at the end.

13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

http://www.ottens.co.uk/forgottentrek/tng_8.php

Since it looks like Enocunter at Farpoint is one of the episodes on the sampler disc..we can get more specific...

I liked all the Yesterday's Enterprise ideas above.

RAMA

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

BTW thanks Doug Otte for the great site!

15. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd definitely like to see most if not all of the Miranda, Oberth and Excelsior class ships excised from TNG-R.

More Nebula. More Ambassador. Some New Orleans for sure. Maybe some of the ship classes created for First Contact because they were meant to be TNG era.

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I personally loved all the movie-era ships in TNG and DS9. These aren't cars, they're starships. They're supposed to last a long, long time. When writers retired the Enterprise NCC-1701 after 20 years in STIII or the NX-01 after 10 in "These Are the Voyages", I think back to the 80+ year old Hathaway in "Peak Performance" and the episode "E2", where the NX-01 was spaceworthy after 100+ years. Or the Klingon battle cruiser, which lasted 225 years in-universe - and that that's just two Klingon lifespans or one Vulcan one.

17. Vanyel

The Miranda and Oberth, should be phasing out of the fleet, so the only one that should be seen is the Lantree that was basically making supply runs, and the Hathaway used as trainers but not part of the fighting froce.

The Excelsior class, on the other hand, seems to not be cannon fodder like the Miranda class. It's space frame was still upgradeable, or, in its 80+ years we may be looking at Excelsior class v3.0 that's only been around some 40 or 50 years, and not the model Sulu commanded.

18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I'm curious what Dennis would like to see "tweaked" in Tin Man.

19. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

The Enterprise was older than 20 years old "in universe". It was *roughly* 20 years old in the real world. That was a mistake on the writers part.

As for what I'd like to see in a TNG-R....I'd like to see the E-D look like the massive starship that it is. I waited seven years to see that thing on the big screen and all we got was what was in "Generations"....and that wasn't all that impressive.

I'd also like for the Bozeman to be changed into a Constitution Class like it was originally supposed to be. Really I'd like to see a Constitution Class ship here and there in place of a few Miranda's.

20. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I would have liked the E-D filmed like the STTMP Enteprise, but to be fair there were 4-5 really good shots that made it look massive. For the TV series I'd like to see that sense of size and fewer distance shots.