Moments that really made you cringe or disliked

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by startrekrcks, Aug 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Lol. Looks like the haters have all come back...

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to say, I didn't read it that way at all. Yeah he's clearly being a bit of a smartass and there's a bit of immaturity there, but it didn't come across in an arrogant or jerky way to me.

He was just having a little FUN, that's all. The movie already established that that's the kind of guy he was.

And obviously he wouldn't still be in the Academy if he didn't have some serious skills and ability to back it up. So I didn't see a problem there.

3. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Try a little harder to resist next time, please, would you? That word just doesn't add anything helpful.

4. Search4

Search4 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed - and it would be worth it. Far better than Kirk eating an apple, blasting cruisers, and looking like a 3 year old with a toy gun.

5. PhasersOnStun

PhasersOnStun Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Absolutely. And remember, he feels the test is bogus to begin with. He says "the test is a cheat." So he clearly has a very low opinion of the test, and relishes getting the best of it in an unorthodox way.

Having spent many years as a college instructor, I've learned that if students don't respect the assignment/test, they won't take it seriously. (and I've done the same as a student). Sure, a military academy is more structured than a University, but human nature is still to poke holes in something you can't take seriously...as many of the posters are in this very thread. ;)

6. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not a single cringe during my first viewing, it felt to be a perfect movie.

Actually that scene is very Canon based on dialog from TOS episodes where fear of being beamed inside walls or solid rock were expressed.

Anyway, upon my second viewing I noticed a cringe-worthy moment during that scene; when Scott was only meters and fractions of a second away from being chopped to pieces by the circulating pump, (:cool:) Kirk somehow manages, after taking more time than Scotty clearly had, to open the release valve in time.

7. Trekwatcher

Trekwatcher Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

1) A huge canyon in Riverside, Iowa
    2) The Enterprise being built in Riverside, Iowa
    3) Uhura and Spock (!)
    4) Everything on Delta Vega
    5) Kirk's "immunization" sequence
    6) Kirk's promotion to Captain
    7) Standing pools of water on the Narada
    8) Red Matter (groan!)
    9) The entire alternate timeline idea

They got some stuff right, but made some awful blunders too. And to prove I am not a *HATER* I loved the Kelvin sequence, opening credits, barfight/Pike sequence, and I loved the shuttle ride from the Academy to the Enterprise (minus the immunization stuff).

8. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    The engine room of the Enterprise sucked in May. It still sucks now. I cringe whenever I think of or see pics of that oversized beer brewery and Scotty's stupid trip through the water pipes.:scream:

9. PhasersOnStun

That was actually a mineral quarry. Bet you had no idea there were so many rare earth minerals miles underground in Iowa, did you? ;)

10. cooleddie74

I didn't even know Iowa could be made to look remotely interesting.

:shifty:

(*Runs like hell*)

11. PhasersOnStun

I suppose a huge mineral quarry and a space ship building facility can make any farmland more interesting. ;)

12. cooleddie74

Heck, building a Constitution-class starship in a TRAILER PARK could probably make even a sculpture made of beer cans look amazing.

13. Larraby

Larraby Lieutenant Red Shirt

Your list of 9 items covers the entire premise of the movie. :)

1. I don't know anything about Iowa. Does it not have canyons?

2. Is it even feasible for the Enterprise to be built on land? I think that gravity would put an unbelievable strain on the point where the pylons meet the hull as the Nu-E has comically fat nacelles.

3. Uhura & Spock relationship - totally stupid; she apparently wears the pants in the relationship too, as she demanded to be assigned to the Nu-E, with Spock immediately capitulating.

4. Anyone hear of something called the "brig"? The red monster chase was totally a waste of time, Pegg is miscast as Scotty, stupid transwarp beaming - yeah, I agree about the entire Delta Vega scenes.

5. Immunization scenes - wasn't bad

6. Cadet to Captain in less than a day - Kirk has never even served on a ship before and yet he's promoted to First Officer and then to Captain of the flagship in less than a day? U-huh :rolleyes:

7. Narada - stupid interior design; how does a simple mining ship have powerful weapons and equipment that blocks communications and transporters?

8. Red Matter - it can 'absorb' a supernova and yet conveniently transports one back in time without any problems? Ugh.:wtf:

9. Alternate time line - well, it does relieve them of having to be faithful to canon

Shameful "Nokia" advertisement placement in the car.

The first reveal of the Nu-E made me cringe as it's butt ugly.

The Kobayashi Maru scene was painful as Kirk was acting so obnoxious and arrogant and the instructors or Spock didn't know how he beat the test? Duh.

Chekov's accent and actions. The Jar Jar Binks of Star Trek.

Why did the Nu-E have to stick around and shoot weapons at the Narada as it would have been destroyed by the singularity anyways? To me, it was just an excuse for the ship to be put in danger. Upon it's escape, the music and the snapshots of the bridge crew's reactions were cringe worthy.

In summary, the first 10-minutes up to the Star Trek Logo reveal were quite engaging. The rest of the movie had too much nonsense and was a cringe fest.

14. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

There are in fact (or were - many now inactive, having been put out of business by a rise in the use of reinforced concrete for construction) a large number of quarries in eastern Iowa (though apparently none in the immediate vicinity of Riverside, but I'm willing to cut 'em some slack. Kirk could have been chased a couple of counties over before deep-sixing the Corvette.) Most produced limestone and some sandstone, but there were sites which produced other minerals. Stone from Iowa quarries has been in used in buildings all over the US.

15. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

'Hater', buzz word for the nu-century. One of the rumors I hearn was that Kirk seduced green girl just so that the new Kabayashi Maru' program he wrote could be downloaded. The orion (what's her name again?) was assigned to the simulater section, Klrk pumps her for info on the test, and just before his third test, sends her a message on her terminal, this down loads the program that lets Kirk win. Really makes Kirk out to be quite the sexual mercenary.

16. Stardate

Stardate Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree with this statement. The moment for me when i realized that Star Trek story was a mess was when Spock stranded Kirk on a dangerous planet, the 2 ice monster. One of them was i lizard type with no fur:wtf:. It should freezee in minutes in this cold environment. The icing on the cake was Spock telling Kirk why Nero was doing this:wtf:. I was in total disbelief and shock. Stupidest scene in Star Trek movie franchise history. Also i hated new transwarp transporter tech.

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

You know this kind of threw me for a loop when I first heard about it. But if you go back and watch some of the early first season episodes like The Man Trap and Charlie X, you can see the writers toying with this idea.

18. Trekwatcher

Trekwatcher Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I guess, but those scenes really amount to a few glances and Spock *smiling* awkwardly (while Uhura sings in the rec room in Charlie X), and that is about it. The TOS writers wisely dropped any such hints of a relationship between these two thereafter.

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

It's interesting in a "What If" kind of way. Like the rest of the film. I'll sit back and see where it goes.

And it actually plays fairly well with The Man Trap, where a Lieutenant dresses down a Commander on the bridge while the latter is in command.

Of all the problems I have with this film (which I love), this isn't one of them.

20. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know that's how it seems to a lot of people - I indicated in my very first post that I realize a lot of people (including many right here on the BBS) just love that scene. All I can say is, it didn't strike me that way at all. He didn't seem a "little" immature - it was like a high school stunt. It was a lot immature. It was...Richie Cunningham/Ralph Malph/Potsie Weber immature. Heck, it was almost Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes) immature, and although I adore Calvin, he's only supposed to be in first grade.

It didn't ruin the movie for me, nor did it ruin Pine's characterization of Kirk, but it left a bad taste in my mouth that took a little while to go away, and as somebody (M'Sharak, I think) noted earlier, it was needlessly over the top. They could have done almost exactly the same thing, made the same point, without making him look like a twerp. Which is how he looked to me, though I realize he didn't look that way to everybody.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.