Destiny trilogy - speculations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JoeZhang, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Will Lucky

Will Lucky Ensign Newbie

Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

Well it says in the final blurb the 3 captains will be uniting against the Borg threat, I see that as Riker leaving the Nebula they were exploring unless Dax and Picard head there.

2. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

^
    And the reason you think he couldn't head right back to exploration after Destiny and before the fifth Titan book is...

3. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Maybe she's become a Dowud...

4. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

So far I've read nothing that interests me about this trilogy. I'm really sick of the borg and you don't want to get me started on what was done to Janeway!

5. D Man

D Man Commodore Commodore

Janeway's "death" was kind of open-ended, IMO. I think she'll be back in some form.

6. Deano2099

Deano2099 Commander Red Shirt

There have been 4 TNG relaunch books so far, a 5th coming soon. Of those, 3 are Borg-centric (though we don't know to what extent GTTS is). Slight bias there admittedly but there's also been other stuff. Obviously if you count the 3 Destiny books as TNG then it's 6 of 8 which is a lot heavier. But if you throw in the 3 Destiny books that's 7 TNG books in 16 months which sort of makes "we get so few TNG books" look a bit silly.

I agree the Borg can be a little dull compared to the other races but maybe Destiny will be the series that makes them interesting, that adds in another layer. I'd have to agree that if it is just another 'Borg invade, Borg get fought off' story then it's going to suck, since I can't see any way to make that work in a trilogy. But I'd credit the editors and authors at Pocket knowing that too.

Of course, the trilogy might still suck. We don't know yet. It might also be the best Trek trilogy ever. I'll probably decide whether or not to buy it when the reviews come it. The other handy thing, of course, is that the books are available on Amazon for years after they come out, so if you are bored of the Borg then, as you say, you can go read something else and pick them up in a year or so.

I'm just reminded of many, many years ago when I picked up a copy of Imzadi second-hand. I was young, I didn't care at all for for the Riker/Troi romance plot, it bored me to tears. But it was the only Trek book the guy on the market-stall had and I was out, so I reluctantly bought it and started reading it. It was one of the greatest Trek novels ever.

7. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

David Mack hasn't let me down yet so I think odds are he won't again with Destiny.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or she was one all along. If so, she'd never tell anyone (not even Archer)... :vulcan:

9. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Boy, I hope she does. Forever.

10. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Would that make Hernandez the Scarlet Witch? "Daddy, no more Borg." :lol:

11. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Despite the brief cover descriptions, I am still looking forward to the trilogy. I also feel like there has to be BIG stuff happening in these novels to make them worth while - more than just typical Borg stuff. I am going to try to reserve judgement until the novels are out.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Destiny is big. Really, really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to Millennium, but that's just peanuts to Destiny.

(With apologies to Douglas Adams.)

13. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

^ Well, maybe it's not that big....

14. Captain W Riker

Captain W Riker Lieutenant Red Shirt

Well, you could always tells us about it and we can judge how big it is for you. :)

15. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I'll say after reading/seeing this...

http://trekmovie.com/2008/06/11/lib...opses-for-kobayashi-maru-and-destiny-trilogy/

I have to say: "WTF?" to Destiny.

That said, I'll read them. I want to know if the snap-judgment of "WTF?" is correct or not. I hope it's not. I just wish some juicy tid-bits could come out to make us all say, "Oooooohh" and calm down. Cause you have to admit, from the descriptions, it SOUNDS bad. It SOUNDS like Berman and Braga took over Trek Lit. TPTB over at Pocket need to let loose some details and/or tranquilizers to help us all chill.

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'll just say that you really can't tell much about the style and substance of a book from its cover blurb. It's like trying to judge a whole movie based on a 15-second TV ad. No, it's not even like that. It's like trying to judge a movie based on a written summary of a 15-second TV ad. Because you don't even get any of the dialogue or action or flavor of the story.

17. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

EMH - I for one am hoping for some New Frontiers characters. Calhoun was in for only a short period in Before Dishonor but they were memorable moments.

I must admit to a bit of anti-Borg feelings as well however at the present the Federation really doesn't have a bigger enemy at the present, in the timeline of the books anyway. The Breen haven't been mentioned in a while if I remember correctly, the Tholians are doing whatever they do (though I thought KRAD mentioned them at the end of AOTF) and the Romulans are up to their pointy ears in their own mess so I imagine we get the Borg again. I do hold out though that DMack wouldn't waste his time on a simple storyline like the Borg are back

It will be interesting for me to see what he did with Hernandez. That's a long time to live.

18. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

I vote for tranqs.

19. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Bashir and Cole from Section 31 agreed to as much in Section 31: Abyss. They both felt that the biggest threat the post-Dominion War Federation faced was from the Borg. I wonder if that was deliberate foreshadowing or just a coincidence?

20. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

Only if they're in dart form, and I get to hold the gun.

Don't worry. I'll give folks a head start.

:evil: