Star Trek Continues: Episode 2 "Lolani"...

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Warped9, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

So today Episode 2 "Lolani" is premiering at a convention in Dallas (I believe) and then released online sometime later this evening. I'm eager to see this. :techman:

The STC crew has been very tight on any spoilers getting out, but a couple of tidbits are out there. The final version of their promotional poster for the episode is out and it includes the image of an Orion slave girl. Make of that what you will. I'm hoping they opt not to do something cheesy with that. On another note apparently guest star Erin Gray is listed in the cast as Commodore Gray. If true then STC is asserting that Janice Lester was a embittered loon and that women can indeed command in the TOS era. :techman:

My plan to watch this is to (somehow) wait until tomorrow afternoon to see it on a friend's big screen TV leading one of periodic movie nights...with pizza.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  2. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Well, I suppose a woman can rise to the rank of Commodore without ever having been allowed to command a Starship.

Lolani
    The Holiest Thing
    The Tressaurian Intersection conclusion

It looks like it will be a fun month or two.

3. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Or we never saw a woman command a starship during the five-year mission. I don't think NBC would've allowed that.

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

It's been hashed out over and over and over and over again. NBC did not have a problem with Number One in the "The Cage," but they didn't like Roddenberry casting his extramarital girlfriend and didn't think she was strong enough for the part. And in the episode she actually does command throughout most of the episode in Pike's absence. NBC is on record at the time of wanting to promote more progressive roles for women and other nationalities. There's actually a memo to that effect that we can examine today. Roddenberry is the one who cooked up the story of NBC not liking a woman in command just so he could save face and spare his lover's feelings.

There's nothing in the series itself that explicity states a woman cannot command. As for the STC Ep. 2 we'll just have to wait and see what they do.

5. scifib5st

scifib5st Commander Red Shirt

Well, this is a great valentines day present all the way!!!!
    Wow, this is going to be a great time.
    Thanks to all for the hard work and time spent on these projects.
    :bolian:

6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Yeah, don't blame NBC for that one.

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

In fairness we haven't seen the STC episode yet so we can't make any assumptions on their part.

In TOS we saw at least three Commodores with starship command experience: Stone, Decker and Wesley. We saw only one with no starship command experience: Stocker. So from that small sample alone it argues more in favour of a Commodore having had starship command experience than not.

We also saw Number One who is First Officer and commands in Pike's absence. Since there's nothing within the rest of the series that explicitly states she can't command a ship (which she is already gaining experience for) then it follows it should be quite possible for Number One to eventually get her own starship command and eventually be promoted to Commodore and even beyond.

I applaud STC for touching on this, for it says something to me as to what their thinking is on this issue in TOS.

8. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Oh, absolutely. I agree that we can't actually make any assumptions on their part yet--and "if true then STC is asserting that Janice Lester was a embittered loon and that women can indeed command in the TOS era" would be one of those assumptions we can't make. My comment was simply indicating that the presence of a female "Commodore Gray" does not inherently actually contradict Janice Lester's comment "Your world of Starship captains doesn't admit women." She could still be correct even given a Commodore Gray. There could be female Commodores and Admirals who have risen to those ranks despite an organizational prohibition on women commanding Starships. (I'm not advocating that position; I'm just saying that it it would remain an arguable possibility.)

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ Yet as has been debated ad nauseum Janice Lester's remark can be interpreted two ways. A lot depends on what perceptions one brings to it.

10. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

I stand corrected.

11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

It's also quite possible that NBC helped push the idea of a more multiracial cast/crew we see in the series after "The Cage."

For STC's Ep. 2 I do know we may well see some Kirk fighting action as there was a clip released awhile back showing Vic Mignogna rehearsing the classic Kirk flying kick. :techman: And a released still shot might be showing us a female security officer, something we didn't see until TAS' "The Lorelei Signal."

12. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

* Though not referring to women, this memo does point out NBC's stated commitment for diversity. As reproduced on pages 76–77 of the book Inside Star Trek by Herbert F. Solow and Robert H. Justman, 1996 by Pocket Books.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

^^
    That memo is actually from 1966 (which makes more sense; Run For Your Life was in production in August of '65, but wouldn't premiere until the following month). The date is a little blurry in the Solow/Justman book, but it's still at UCLA and a bit clearer in person.

14. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it's more accurate to say that some people interpret it one way, and others interpret it another. The number of fans, at least fans around here, who would admit that both interpretations are plausible are very few indeed. Most of us have made up our minds what was intended in the episode, and those who have made up their minds implicitly believe the other side to be mistaken.

That said, with respect to those of us who believe that the intent of the episode was that women were barred from command, it's a sure bet that the overwhelming majority would have no problem throwing that episode under the bus as the embarrassment to continuity that it is and always has been.

15. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Yeah, that makes sense. I shall correct it henceforth. :)

16. Harcourt F. Mudd

Harcourt F. Mudd Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

17. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

I hope they haven't stopped posting to Vimeo. It's the only way I can see it.

18. Harcourt F. Mudd

Harcourt F. Mudd Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That was one of the greatest Star Trek episodes I've ever seen. Absolutely incredible.

19. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Hold up is that...

Was the slaver ship Matt Jefferies Leif Ericson design?

Wonderful work, enjoyed the whole thing.

20. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

I think it was.... very cool.

I've watched it through, now to let it digest. First impressions, better structure than the first episode (teaser tied into episode). Message was a bit too heavy-handed for me, and some of the dialogue was equally so. Most performances were decent, though no one was as good as Michael Forest in the first episode.

Very good quality for a fan film, and I think they do the best of capturing the visual sense of classic Trek.