Marvel to make a Doctor Strange movie?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captaindemotion, Aug 1, 2011.

1. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Maybe they'll just green screen in Ditko's backgrounds and save a bundle. By Umar's heaving cleavage!

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Don't forget Marvel/Fox have "Daredevil" in the works as well. David Slade tweeted not too long ago that there was supposed to be news coming. Most people expect a 2013 release for the rebooted film. Also "Wolverine" if it starts filming this year could be out next year as well.

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

By the Eternal Vishanti, let it be so!

4. Admiral_Young

I still want Patrick Dempsey as Stephen Strange!

5. RJDiogenes

I may have already mentioned this, but I think that guy who plays Duke on Haven might be a good candidate.

6. Greg Cox

Just because he's skinny and has a mustache? Nah, I don't get a Sorcerer Supreme vibe from him at all. He usually plays wise-cracking, blue-collar types . . . which is not Stephen Strange at all.

Maybe Zachary Quinto or Benedict Cumberbatch? (Or however you spell it.) You need somebody who can do cultured, aloof, and otherworldly. Probably a Brit.

Daniel Radcliffe? (Unless he's tired of playing wizards.)

Somebody at io9 just suggested David Tennant, which is also not a bad idea. You need somebody slightly off-kilter and mysterious . . . .

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  7. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The doc actually has some great villains to choose from:

Baron Mordo
    Dormammu
    Umar
    Nightmare

But my fave is Shuma Gorath because he was inexplicably chosen as a character for Marvel vs. Capcom and that's by far his most famous appearance.

8. Greg Cox

Eva Green as Umar, or is that too on-the-nose?

9. Admiral_Young

Matthew McConaughey would be my pick for the voice/Dormmamu. Carey Mulligan to play Cleo. The novelization to be written by our own Greg Cox! Yes. This must happen.

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not well veresed on Umar but looked her up.
    I had forgotten, or maybe the stories I read never mentioned, that she was Dormammu's sister.

I like the idea of Nightmare as the villian of choice for the first film. Since Dormammu is Strange's top foe save him for later like Joker or Mandarin(hopefully IM3).

*Yes I'm shameless adding links in hopes the uninitiated will check them out and get excited for a Dr.Strange movie. Damn, I did it again.

11. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think I pictured Dormmamu having a southern drawl while playing the bongo drums, shirtless no less. But here are some voice talent that have done it in the past.

http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/voice-compare/Marvel-Universe/Dormammu/

My vote would be Tony Todd or Michael Ironside. If only Orson Wells' and his Unicron voice was still around. Or maybe Jeremy Irons.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  12. Greg Cox

And Clea's mother, although this wasn't revealed until the seventies . . ..

13. RJDiogenes

No, actually because he's got that odd face, angular yet still handsome. As to whether he can go from wisecracker supreme to Sorcerer Supreme, that depends on his acting chops, which, I suppose, could only be determined by auditioning.

14. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Eric Balfour is too weird looking to play Dr. Strange, who was always depicted as a more-or-less conventionally handsome guy, maybe a bit ragged around the edges. Plus I've never noticed that he's much of an actor. Zachary Quinto is a better choice, though he's also on the weird-looking side.

According to teh internets, Johnny Depp already owns the part (not that anyone has informed him of this fact); I like Bradley Cooper for the role.

That's another good choice.

Umar should be played by an impressive goddess-type actress like Angelica Huston or Meryl Streep.

15. RJDiogenes

^^ Well, it depends on the artist. Guys like Gene Colan and Sal Buscema gave him the conventionally handsome "Mandrake" look, but guys like Steve Ditko and Paul Smith gave him a more elongated, angular, exotic look. As much as I love Colan, I like the more exotic look better and Eric Balfour fits that. As to his acting ability, though, I don't know enough to say.

And Zachary Quinto can't play everybody. :rommie:

16. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cool rumor du jour: Viggo Mortensen may be up for the role! (To debut in the next Thor movie, then presumably move on to his own solo movie.)

Let's see, right looks, talented, and the right age. Viggo would ensure they don't make the mistake of casting the role too young. Dr. Strange has white in his hair and a successful medical career in his backstory. It would make sense for him to be at least 40 when his story began.

17. Captain Craig

I saw that rumor as well and it could work if Viggo is up for the part.
    Stephen Strange, like Stark, should be played by a 35-40ish actor as well imo.

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Which makes the 53-year old Mortensen perfect for the part. :p

19. Captain Craig

No shit, he's in his 50's? He doesn't look it to me.
    I'll still take him in the role.

20. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

except that he mumbles rather than acts.

Dudes supposed to be an orator yelping about spells to gods granting him boons to smash his enemies.

If the devils down their can't hear you, then your spells ain't worth squat.

Fuck Clooney.