DS9 Versus: A viewing experient

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Sykonee, Apr 9, 2009.

1. mattyhugh

mattyhugh Commander Red Shirt

Take Me Out to the Holosuite is an episode I watch fairly often when I need a Deep Space Nine fix.

Fascination on the other hand, not so much.

2. Damask

Damask Commander Red Shirt

I love Take Me Out...if only for Sisko's rant at Odo.

"What were you doing? Regenerating?" :lol:

3. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

I think that whilst Sykonee is away on holiday, we should hijack this thread and do our own comparison thread.

I was thinking Coronation Street and EastEnders but American or non-UK folks won't really know what I'm on about, so if anyone has any suggestions then I'm open.

:devil:

4. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

^
    If I did Eastenders vs Coronation Street, Corrie would have fewer wins than Voyager.

Maybe it's because I'm a londonaaaah....

5. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey, this is a three-way review project, so you'll have to include Emmerdale as well. Or Hollyoaks, if you really want to lose the will to live.

6. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

If I start watching all those, I may as well go and live with my nan. Mind you, she is a good cook.

What's the most appropriate forum for an "Ian Beale Appreciation" thread?

7. Sykonee

Sykonee Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hah, I'm back already, but, um, will probably only have time for one or two reviews in the coming week, as I have a couple Finals to study for next week, and if I don't at least pass my Calculus II Final, I'm in a world of hurt.:(

8. Vulcan Princess

Vulcan Princess Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Good luck on your finals!

9. Sykonee

Week 34: (Ending 05.16.98)
    DS9 - Profit And Lace (Airdate 05.13.98)
    VOY - One (Airdate 05.13.98)

Needed a break from staring at u dvs and (n+1)s. Unfortunately, my IQ significantly dropped after watching this DS9 episode, so now I have to start all over again. 2+2 is 4, right?

Ah, that's better. One is the one, with a smartly written plot that converges to something entertaining. Okay, minor divergent quibble: if so many of the crew seem uncomfortable with the stasis option, why did Janeway make the decision for them regardless? Maybe some might have been perfectly all right with taking the long way around. Also, did the rate of change in Doc's irritability seem quicker than one would expect? What was the interval they were using to decide when he would start snapping at Seven? Assuming the limit of his irritability approaches infinity, what power series would-

AHAAAHAHAAAAAHHHH!!!!!

Maybe it's not a good idea to try and do this while cramming for a Calculus Final after all.

Weekly Winner
    VOY

Next:
    DS9 - Time's Orphan
    VOY - Hope And Fear

10. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Urgh, Profit and Lace is awful, isn't it? Even ignoring the fact that it makes no sense whatsoever, it's really ill-conceived and embarrassing to watch. And that sub-plot with Quark and the Dabo Girl? What were they thinking with that? It's slightly less wall to wall dreadful than Let He Who is Without Sin... so I guess it's only the second worst episode of DS9.

I've been watching a lot of TNG lately and I've got to say, the Ferengi on that show were nothing like these people. They had warships!

11. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think it's worse. Let He Who is Without Sin... is slightly redeemed in my eyes because it was trying to explore an interesting question: Is the Federation a decadent civilisation? It's a very DS9-style question to explore, it just didn't work in this case, for a variety of reasons. I can imagine the basic idea being the basis for a good episode, though. Profit and Lace has nothing going for it.

12. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To me, that makes Let He Who is Without Sin... worse. It's like being given a bowl of faeces and told that there's a diamond in the bottom of it, but to get the diamond you have to lick away the faecal matter. So you spend an hour licking away at it to get to the precious gem, but when you reach the bottom of the bowl there's nothing there, and you suddenly realise you've just spent the last hour eating shit. :barf:

With Profit and Lace, you know from the start that it's going to be a Ferengi comedy episode, you know that those episodes are hit and miss, so when the bowl of shit is put on the table in front of you, you're not expecting a diamond at the bottom.

13. Pemmer Harge

I base my judgement on the fact that, watching Let He Who is Without Sin..., I was cringeing from the end of the opening credits to the very end, whereas with Profit and Lace I was only cringeing for the last twenty minutes or so!

14. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, I still say pile of feces 1 smells worse than pile of feces 2, and you shall never EVER convince me otherwise :klingon:

Anyway, they both stink ;)

15. apenpaap

apenpaap Commodore Commodore

I actually sort of like Profit and Lace.
    :alienblush: I'll go hide in the corner... :alienblush:

16. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

Choosing between Let He Who Is Without Sin and Profit and Lace is like trying to decide whether to eat barf or shit for breakfast this morning. :p

I quite liked One, it was a nice little hidden gem at the back end of VOY's fourth season.

17. mattyhugh

mattyhugh Commander Red Shirt

Clearly I'd choose barf. At least it came out of my mouth to start.

18. Sykonee

Week 35: (Ending 06.23.98)
    DS9 - Time's Orphan (Airdate 05.20.98)
    VOY - Hope And Fear (Airdate 05.20.98)

These episodes are so relevant to my mood on this futuristic date of 08.11.10. First up: "Bollocks!" Yep, that's how I felt after writing my Calc II Final. At this point, I lay my "Hope" that I at least passed it; however, knowing I've lost at least 40% of my potential marks on it due to my inability to even start some of the problems, I "Fear" it'll be too close for comfort. Assuming I got every question I did answer correct, I'm in the clear. If not...

"Bollocks!"

Anyhow, the episodes in question here. Eh, DS9's heart in the right place, but it's kind of a plodder. VOY's a better offering, but then this is its Season Finale, so it has no excuses. Kind of interesting that they went with a stand-alone episode here, but it at least reflects on events that occurred during the past season. Not as good as Scorpion was though; Arturis' convoluted Revenge Plot isn't anywhere near as interesting as intergalactic warfare. Still, I'll take that over watching the O'Briens play with Dukat's 'eggs'. (will only Niners get that joke, I wonder)

Weekly Winner
    VOY

Next:
    B5 - Meditations On The Abyss

19. Pemmer Harge

Time's Orphan really isn't particularly good, but I kind of like it anyway. Colm Meaney does a good job here (why doesn't this guy get meaty episodes anymore like in the earlier seasons?) and the ending was actually quite touching.

20. Sykonee

Well, I passed Calc II ...with a D. That means I get credit for the course, but can't continue to the next course. Meh, maybe I should just stick with Geography for now. I seem to do better at that.

Week 36: (Ending 05.30.98)
    B5 - Meditations On The Abyss (Airdate 05.27.98)

So what's up, B5? Figured you couldn't hang tough with Trek during May Sweeps, so you just hung back all this time, huh. Now that VOY's done and DS9's gone into repeats until its final June drive, you're taking on the spotlight all to yourself. Oh, so crafty you be. Eh? NBA Playoffs? What has that got to do with- oh, you would have been preempted the whole time if you tried to air at any point during the last two months. I... guess that's a legitimate excuse. Well, since NBC's got all the rights to the NBA Finals, TNT can get crackin' on the B5-verse again.

And... we're starting off on a slow foot here. It seems plot pieces are being moved around again, but in the meantime we're getting treated to some tidying up of loose threads. Vir replaces Londo as Centauri Ambassador, G'Kar replaces his human eye for a Narn one, and not too much else. Oh, we also get another Ranger Training A-Plot, but since it features Lennier, we actually care about what happens this time.

An alright episode, but you can tell JMS is just biding his time before unleashing yet another storm of Major Event episodes. At least, that's what usually happens. Can S5 match with the previous years?

Weekly Winner
    B5

Next:
    B5 - Darkness Ascending