Dec Challenge entry - Prelude to Ragnarok

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by captcalhoun, Dec 5, 2008.

1. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

Starbase 378
    December 31, 2380

Starbase 378’s promenade was decorated for Christmas. Tinsel hung from the shop fronts, mistletoe was hung at intervals from the first floor crosswalks and Christmas trees were spaced around the main thoroughfare. Starfleet members milled around with civilians, human and alien, enjoying the party. An enterprising non-com in the communications centre had tapped into an old Earth radio broadcast, and 20th century music blasted out of the station intercom, currently someone was wishing it could be Christmas every day.

Scott Freeman and T’lana stood side-by-side leaning against the window of the Quick Stop, watching the revelry. Though a casual observer would think the Vulcan was being typically stoic, her husband could see the smile tugging the corner of her lips as she delicately ate from a bowl of mixed nuts and raisins. Shrad, Scott’s Andorian friend, danced past with Telis, the Andorian scout. Further along the promenade, Scott could see Captain Annabel Frost dancing with Commander Lee Quentin, whilst Bobbi March, the sniper, seemed to trying to eat her husband’s face underneath a bunch of mistletoe.

Scott smiled as Captain Laura DeBoer, his former first officer, danced by with Captain Craig Robinson, while on the opposite side of the prom Marie Duvalier from Scott’s SO team and Robert Miller from Annabel’s, were flirting heavily.

The song came to an end and another started. Scott glanced at T’lana, “You want to dance?” he asked. as he finished the orange he’d been eating.

“No, thank you. I do not enjoy it nearly as much as you. I fear it would also not be conducive to my digestion.”

Scott sniggered. It had been boring these past few months. Although there’d been another Borg attack on Earth while the Wraith had been out of position on the Tholian border, the crew of the Enterprise-E had ultimately destroyed the Cube. A few months after that the double-E had also defeated a Borg-assimilated science vessel, shortly after the Wraith’s encounter with a mysterious alien ship from the Beta Quadrant. But SO had had a quiet few months for which Scott was grateful. He and T’lana had been doing some serious talking about having children and even him retiring.

Now, he was looking forward to the New Year and wondered what the future held. But then, one never knew…

To be continued...​

2. SLWalker

SLWalker The OG Scotty Fangirl Premium Member

Darling little story! Nice to see some married couples in the Trekiverse.

3. captcalhoun

thanks. current novels feature several marrieds; Picard/Bev, Riker/Deanna as well as Sisko/Kas and Calhoun/Shelby...

4. SLWalker

SLWalker The OG Scotty Fangirl Premium Member

I gave up on the novels a long time ago. ::chuckles:: But, good work still!

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Short but sweet :bolian:

6. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Bobbi's married? :eek:

Actually she could always have been married, I'm very bad with details like that!

Love the "calm before the storm" ominous ending you gave it :techman:

7. CeJay

CeJay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't know she was married either.

This felt like the proverbial quiet before the storm. Something big is going to happen but whatever it is, it can wait ... today is Christmas.

Cute story.

8. mirandafave

mirandafave Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^^ As to Bobbi being married is not the case that everything is all rosey in this segment and full of Christmas cheer as per the challenge but an alternative universe! in this reality all not so happy and rose-tinted
    ?:confused:query:confused:?

Very festive and charming but to echo CeJay and the title feels like the carpet is about to pulled from under people's feet.

9. trampledamage

Oh yes, valid point - this may well be a happier alternate timeline. If that is the case, I hope Bobbi gets to stay happy for a while.

10. mirandafave

^^ She does deserve it :p ^^ tho I might be wrong

11. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

IS it an alternate timeline or universe at all?

12. captcalhoun

um... no.

i goofed. i forgot the alternate timeline thing. it's just a christmas story.

and if you were paying attention: SHE WAS MARRIED IN LAST MONTH'S STORY!

13. trampledamage

Definitely have to go back and read last month's then! Sorry, haven't got to that yet. :alienblush:

14. mirandafave

Alas knew she was married but didn't think her life and extended family circle of friends was so happy. Thought you had indeed thrown us a curveball. But still have the feeling that this is the calm before the storm. Either way still a happy Christmas story - which is how it should be.