V: the series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Nerdius Maximus, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Which was a symptom of the lower budget of the series as opposed to the miniseries. Though it also created the story opportunity for having Visitors pass for human on occasion.

Ahh, but only a twin would have the same voice, right?

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

AFAIK, Diana immediately recognizes Philip before he even says a word.

And the (few) sets of twins I have seen, have had much the same voices. Anyone remember the Sklar brothers (comedy) or the Laurances (acting)?

3. Christopher

Nobody ever said the series was intelligently written. But then, maybe she recognized him by his scent or electrical field or something else that Sirian senses are attuned to.

4. blockaderunner

blockaderunner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After buying and watching the original mini a while back, what upset me most about the The Final Battle and the series was the fact that one of the Visitor resistance members in the original mini mentioned a force that was against Diana and the Visitors and that at the end of the mini, the blonde scientist had some SETI type array set up to try to find that foe in the deep reaches of space and once TFB aired, there was no mention of that foe at all. I guess if the new series used that, fans would be making comparisons to SG1's Tok'ra. But it still would have been nice to know who that foe was and if they would have helped against the visitors.

5. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

It's true that the Final Battle and weekly series essentially ignored this point in favor of more action-driven fare. Plus, I suspect the cost of integrating a decidedly alien-looking race into the show would have been prohibitive. If you're wondering where V creator Kenneth Johnson was heading with the idea, there's always the book: V: The Second Generation, in which he introduces the Zedti -- a human-looking-but-insectoid race who are mortal enemies with the Vs. Be warned, though -- the book isn't very good and its essential plot is almost entirely a mirror of The Final Battle.

6. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

It won't be any good unless it has the line: "Don't you wave your fookin tentacles at me!"

7. Mr. Laser Beam

8. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

A District 9 reference, perhaps?

9. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Indeed.

Oh, c'mon, you can't just drop something like that and then not follow up on it. :lol:

Given the reference to the Vs/whatever they really call themselves in the new series all being hooked on some drug, my mind went straight away to a "Children of Earth"-type scenario.

10. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

The new tv show aint that bad. It sucks I have to wait until March for more episodes, though.

11. Christopher

The place to follow up on my theory about the new series would be in a thread about the new series. This thread is about the old series.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

I have never seen District 9, that's why I didn't recognize the bit.