First time watching Enterprise!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Merlanthe, Nov 29, 2012.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Valuable seconds. How many lives have been lost because someone has to wait for that order.

2. Merlanthe

Merlanthe Commander Red Shirt

Ah so thats what it means. But still even if running a current through it makes the hull stronger once its been damaged even slightly the current will be disrupted and go 'offline' so kinda makes the whole hull plating thing redundant technology.

Reed: the hull plating is online and will protect us....oh wait the hulls been damaged by an enemy torpedo there goes the hull plating now wer just a sitting target.

kinda a logic failure for whichever writer came up with that idea as it would have made more sense to just have shields from the get go (im kinda hoping they get shields at some point and dont keep the hull plating for all four seasons)

3. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

Welcome to Enterprise, Merlanthe! :) I hope you enjoy it. I look forward to seeing how you see the characters and such, especially Archer. He's got his bright spots.

Yes, it's taking me about 15 weeks to get through all 4 seasons. I try to watch an episode a day, or if I miss days, then I'll usually clump a few together on the weekend. Sorry about that.

I'm not sure what I'll watch next. I was leaning towards Voyager because for the life of me, I only can remember one episode that I saw in the past when it was on t.v. I already started TNG, so I might do that one. I don't know... It sounds like this thread will be easier to keep up with, though. Have fun watching! :)

:lol: I think the idea was that captains "command" the ship, so they have to tell the crew what to do, but when you really look at some of these things, that doesn't make sense. People do know how to do their jobs, or they wouldn't have them. That would have been a funny blooper moment, though...

4. Merlanthe

Random announcement i just realised i have now made 50 posts and can have an avatar yaaay

5. teacake

Congratulations!!

You are now a real person :D

(my favorite in your pics is the Destiny one)

6. Spock/Uhura Fan

Lovin' the Deep Space Nine. :D

7. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

W00t! Yay shiny new av! :)

8. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Congrats!

I have to wait another week for mine, but have a fancy one planned if gifs can be uploaded.

9. Merlanthe

This is my favourite avatar i try to use it in every forum i belong to where i can but someone else gets the credit for making it. I've forgotten who it was but they created it and posted it on the gateworld forum saying anyone who wanted it was free to adopt it :)

Melakon when i added my avatar it actually said the file had failed to load but then when i looked on the forum it had magically appeared on all my previous posts so when you do get to upload your gif if it tells you it didnt load properly be sure to double check that the computer isnt lying to you.

10. Melakon

My only worry is the gif will be outside the file size limit, I'm still tweaking it. If it won't fit, I'll just do a still shot but it won't be the Melakon character.

11. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

Dropping in quickly to join in the the admiration of the shiny new avatar! (well, new to us!)

:techman:

12. Spock/Uhura Fan

@Melakon You can edit it to get it under 140kb, but if it's got a lot going on with it, that will be a challenge--I can tell you, lol!

I had to do that with both of the gifs I used here. The first one had to be cut down in file size by 2/3, and the one I did with Spock was even worse! You can do it, though.

13. Melakon

@Spock/Uhura Fan - The plan is essentially just 2 photos, with cross-dissolves between. The other trick is not making the image switch so fast that it induces epileptic seizures.

14. Spock/Uhura Fan

That won't be a problem at all for you. This was the Spock icon I made and then had to cut down.

[​IMG]

I used just about every kb I could. It sits at 139.4kb.

15. Melakon

I'll probably have to go 16-24 frames to keep it from changing too fast. A 12 frame test was too quick, though I didn't try through a webpage.

16. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

Broken Bow was a great pilot that did a good job introducing the characters. Some random thoughts.

-The idea for a decon room was good but the way it was used was lame

-I liked the different names for all the tech it really gave the show a different feel.

-I liked Trip and Archers dislike for the Vulcans, it was a change from the perfect humans we've seen before.

-ENT is the best looking trek, from direction to set design.

-I think you should rate the episodes as you go. I find that it allows others to compare and contrast someones feelings for the episodes and gives a clearer example of how you feel about each episode.

17. teacake

I think one element was the Vulcans refusing to give them any technical help on anything they were developing and refusing to share their database with them, the database being everything they knew about other races, star systems etc.. I think they would have made it clear that if mankind took off before they had Vulcan approval they could forget about any help or backup should they get into a jam. They may have provided some assistance on tech matters with the proviso that the assistance would be withdrawn if earth didn't follow their timetable. Vulcans live a lot longer and have a much more sedate and plodding pace in regards to new developments as well as not being naturally explorers. I'd imagine they saw mankind as over eager 5 year olds and earth saw them as killjoy parents.

All of that leads to resentment if that's the climate of your planets development of warp capable ships from the point of First Contact onwards.

Not only that but she was the beautiful Melinda Clarke!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  18. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Welcome to the madhouse, Merlanthe! ENT is a great show once it finds its footing. I hope you like it!
    I agree with all of these. My only real nitpicks about the pilot (and they are nitpicks) are:

I think they should have kept the EM-33 instead of introducing phase pistols. A pulse weapon without a stun setting would have been a marked change from the Trek norm, and would have fit the grittier, more contemporary style TPTB were trying to go for.

The execution of the decon chamber also bugged me. I loved the idea, but having the occupants rub gel over each other's bodies was just an obvious attempt at titillation that fell flat.

I also agree with everyone else about the hull plating. Again, I liked the idea, but they never explained it. Just a quick description (fancy currents 'harden' the plating to repel destructive energy from enemy weaponry) would have done a lot. And the "hull plating at (whatever) percent!" should have never happened, either.

Overall, "Broken Bow" is probably in my top two when it comes to Trek pilots. I also liked "Emissary" from DS9 quite a bit, I'm just not sure which I'd put at #1 and which at #2.

19. teacake

I think Broken Bow is the best pilot.

Emissary, while fabulous to me is too whacky and disjointed by the white prophet scenes.

Caretaker is a nice adventure but banjo guy sends it into hokey land.

TNG's pilot is just embarrassing.

Broken Bow looks fantastic (especially in comparison to the other Treks), is a very tightly told story and has a great pace.

20. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

I loved Broken Bow (no great shocker here). We re-watched it maybe a year ago and it still felt fresh.

And I liked the human-Vulcan conflict, too! I think it actually dovetailed into the lyrics to the theme song, e. g. "It's been a long time, getting from there to here." Well, where's 'there'? And where's 'here'? The start should feel foreign, alien (there's a concept), an itchingly uncomfortable at times. The idea of the Vulcans seeing us as over-eager 5 year olds and we seeing them as killjoy parents works spectacularly well.

Us - Let's go look at stuff! We'll plant a flag! We'll have fun! Everyone'll be our pals!
    Vulcans - Argh, you can't do that. There are native peoples! Not everyone is interested in becoming pals!

Plus, perhaps, the Vulcans were exercising almost a proto version of the Prime Directive. E. g. they didn't want to just hand us space travel and maps, etc. on a silver platter. Being on the receiving end of that is not so much fun, as the
    Valakians
    learn later.