Question: how many TMP era stories?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Warped9, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

This query is prompted by something in a TOS forum thread.

Could anyone tell me how many novels are set in the TMP era and what they are?

I know about Ex Machina and that a few of the early books were murky in terms of setting, but beyond that I come up blank.

Anyone???

2. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

My version of the post-TMP continuity includes Ex Machina, Mere Anarchy: The Darkness Drops Again, and parts 2-3 of DTI: Forgotten History. It is compatible with or makes reference to The Covenant of the Crown and The Better Man by Howard Weinstein, The Kobayashi Maru by Julia Ecklar, and The Captain's Daughter by Peter David (which is mostly post-TUC but includes portions set in the pre- and post-TMP eras). So you can treat those as a more-or-less consistent post-TMP continuity if you like.

But there are a good number of other novels that offer different takes on the era -- usually ones that hew closer to TOS or TWOK and make little use of the specific elements of TMP.

4. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

"Time For Yesterday" occurs after TMP, a month before TWOK, in fact.

5. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Other post-TMP TOS material which has some connection to the Pocket Lit-verse includes:

Untold Voyages
    Infection
    Home is the Hunter
    Firestorm
    Ice Trap
    Shell Game
    Death Count
    The Wounded Sky
    The Rihannsu Saga
    Doctor's Orders
    Spock's World
    Rules of Engagement
    Deep Domain
    The New Earth/Challenger Series
    The Pandora Principle
    Dwellers in the Crucible
    Strangers From the Sky

6. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Isn't one of the Dax short stories set during the TMP era?

7. Christopher

Closer to the TWOK era. The Audrid story is set mainly in 2266 with a frame in 2281, and the Torias story is set shortly before TWOK.

8. TenLubak

TenLubak Commander Red Shirt

Alot of the covers for these are confusing as hell. Doctors Orders had McCoy in his TV show shirt.
    Time for Yesterday has Spock in a Blue Wrath of Kahn movie jacket- ive only seen red ones.
    Adobe of Life they had movie outfits on
    Black Fire is post series i think because they talk about refitting the bridge with all new GREY consoles instead of the colored ones.

The TOS books even sometimes show TOS outfits and the movie starship Enterprise refit, or some other goofy combination. They used to confused me so much because of the covers as a child. Since i had only watched TOS movies I wanted Movie era books. I still want movie era books because theres not much in that time period. Everyone wants to cram every misstion into those first 5 years. Im pretty sure its not possible for Kirk and co to HAVE that many missions in the allotted time of 5 years. I mean it took months for spock to take the USS Enterprise back to get Kirk away from his Indian wife! He was decideding what to do to defelect that asteroid for months and there are over 100 missions in books that take place there, plus all the ones in the TV shows. So divide all that math and u can see. Not enought time. I dont even have to try to come up with the proper numbers to get an accurate answer of the average time of each mission in those first 5 years.
    If u included the TV shows and missions of just the first 3 it would be even worse!:rommie::scream:

So that to me are the reasons why i like movie era books better! Plus the uniforms are cooler, and the ships look neater, and since its movie era it seems more important in my head! :p

9. Christopher

Well, post-series, but pre-TMP. I figure the book's references to a bridge refit and change of uniforms are meant to represent a transitional period between the series-era look and the TMP look.

10. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If I had my way Christopher would be signed to write at least one TMP era book a year. In fact, tell me who I have to bribe/intimidate/beg for this to happen!

11. ryan123450

For a while there in the 80s some people assumed there was a second five year mission, before TMP. So you've got some variously interpreted combinations of when the uniforms changed and when the Enterprise was refit. Although even by that logic is seems stupid to have a refit Enterprise with TOS uniforms. The Enterprise obviously changed appearance during the refit that ended at the start of TMP.

A second 5 year mission between TOS and TMP would actually make alot of sense. The characters appearances would change at a rate closer to that of the actors, and all those 5 year mission stories would have 10 years to take place over. And not much happened in the decade between TMP and TWOK, the decade which would be cut in half by that chronology. Alas the makers of the Star Trek Chronology had to interpret everything strictly by the info in the shows/films. And now we are stuck with it forever.

12. Christopher

The decisions that shaped cover art weren't necessarily the same as those that shaped story content. Sometimes it may have been a matter of the cover artist only having limited photo references available, or not being familiar enough with the franchise to know they were from different eras. They didn't have the Internet at their beck and call to give them oodles of screencaps and Wiki articles.

Or it could've been for promotional reasons. Early on, the covers were given the look of TMP or TWOK in order to tie into the prominence of those movies, even if the stories inside were set in the series era. Later on, though, sometimes the reverse was done, with TOS-era covers put on movie-era novels (like The Better Man and Ice Trap), perhaps because TOS was more perennially popular. Although later covers got the era right more often, so maybe those were mistakes due to miscommunications or lack of proper reference.

13. tomswift2002

Don't forget but The Abode Of Life had Kirk and Spock holding The Cage-era lasers on the cover which was really odd (I realize that Spock did handle a laser in The Cage, but Kirk was never in that pilot and when Kirk did show up in Where No Man Has Gone Before he never held a laser, instead he held that big heating coil-looking rifle---which would be cool to see on a cover someday!)

But also, what about The Entropy Effect and Sulu's late-1970's/early-1980's mustache and hairdo!

But with Time For Yesterday, your copy must be a misprint, since all the covers that I've seen for Time For Yesterday have Spock in the red TWOK coat.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

15. tomswift2002

I see that, but at the same time I wonder if that was maybe a decision by the artist, since it's down below the white lines on the cover (and in the 99 cover, it is blacked-out all together), so I wonder if the artist maybe painted it blue just to go with the rest of the colors knowing that it might've been cut off at that point?

16. Christopher

Those weren't Cage-style lasers, but a generic sci-fi raygun design. Presumably the cover artist had no photo reference for phasers and just made something up. Again, remember, it wasn't as easy back then to come by photo reference for any given detail from Star Trek.

Although they used the same prop in the second pilot, they'd renamed them phasers by that point, because Roddenberry realized that it had been silly to call them lasers since lasers couldn't do what they did.

I think it's most likely a photo reference issue again. Something's fishy about the choice of reference there, since it's strictly a 5-year mission novel and it makes no sense to show TWOK-era Spock on the cover. (Although several 5YM novels from the period had TMP uniforms on the covers, including Abode of Life, which was no doubt for promotional reasons.) Maybe that photo was just all Boris Vallejo had available to work from, or was what he was required to work from for the same promotional reasons -- and maybe he corrected the colors to something resembling the uniform Spock should've been wearing in the timeframe of the novel. Note that the shoulder strap is also missing and has been replaced with just a bit of silver piping. (Maybe the use of a TWOK-era uniform is what misled TenLubak into thinking it was Time for Yesterday, which was set shortly pre-TWOK.)

In fact, the image of Spock used on the Yesterday's Son cover is an identical pose to the one used on the TWOK novelization cover! I can't find out whether that cover was by Vallejo too, but clearly both covers used the same reference photo. Funny, those books have been around for three decades and I don't recall if I ever noticed that before.

17. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

I can't find any artist reference on any of the multiple copies of McIntyre's Wrath of Khan novelization in my collection (Pocket 1st, later Pocket, Gregg Press, Macdonald, SFBC...) but I'm pretty sure the cover art is by Boris. The style seems pretty unmistakable. I sent Vallejo a message on his website, asking if he painted it. I'll report back when (if?) he responds.

18. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

I'm not sure he made the design up... it's always looked to me like a Sonic Fazer, a toy from the 1970s.

19. Christopher

^Good catch. I guess the artist grabbed whatever reference was available.

Although it's not as bad as the Battlestar Galactica Colonial Vipers chasing McCoy and Arrhae on the cover of The Romulan Way, or the upside-down Galactica itself on the TNG: Ghost Ship cover.

20. ryan123450

Seriously? Wow! That is odd.