NEW ONGOING STAR TREK SERIES FROM IDW!!!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Trek Survivor, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I kid you not.

http://www.previewsworld.com/public/default.asp?t=1&m=1&c=23&s=794&ai=109985&ssd=

According to the IDW forums, it's set in the 2009 movie universe:

STAR TREK ONGOING #1

Mike Johnson (w) Stephen Molnar (a) Tim Bradstreet, David Messina (c)

The adventures of the Starship Enterprise continue in this new ongoing series that picks up where the blockbuster 2009 film left off! Featuring the new cast of the film, these missions re-imagine the stories from the original series in the alternate timeline created by the film, along with new threats and characters never seen before! With creative
    collaboration from STAR TREK writer/producer Roberto Orci, this new series begins the countdown to the much-anticipated movie sequel premiering in 2012. Join Kirk, Spock and the crew as they boldly go into a new future! Up first, a drastic new envisioning of "Where No Man Has Gone Before."

In Shops: 9/28/2011 Item Code: JUL110308 SRP: $3.99

---------------------------------------------------------

The last parts a bit interesting - a 2009 movie retelling of the events of WNMHGB?? Aren't we daring to go with all original stories yet?

Whatever the case, this is good news for a comics fan like me, so roll on September!

2. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Naw, you gotta be kidding me...
    [​IMG]

Dang it, an ongoing Trek series is exactly what I've wanted from IDW from the start. Finally!
    [​IMG]

3. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

Well, hot damn. And here I thought IDW had given up on Trek. I would have been up for this concept as a mini, I'm overjoyed it's an ongoing.

4. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is the only thing that could tempt me to read anything set in the nu-verse.

5. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i'm sold!!!!

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Does this mean that Pocket gets to release the Abramsverse four now that we have both a ongoing comic and video game set in the new continuity?

7. David Brennon

David Brennon Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I was actually thinking that this is kind of unfair to CHristopher and Mack and the other authors who's books were put on hold.

8. Darth Duck

Darth Duck Commodore Commodore

^Did Orci oversee the novels? That seems to be the theme with the games and comics, involvement from the filmmakers.

9. BillJ

I'd rather they complete the script than have them worry about whether or not spin-off material meshes with Star Trek 2013.

10. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Had that same thought.

11. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

I'm fine with this (not overjoyed by it, 'cos I never seem to like the artwork in anything IDW puts out), but I'd much, much rather have those canceled novels.

12. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

13. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

While I'm looking forward to this, I hope that Samuel Peeples and the other writers ge credit for crafting the original stories this will be based upon.

I also hope that there's a balance of original stories with the new crew and reimagined episodes.

Star Trek.com has an article up.

14. FredH

FredH Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Gah. Maybe I'm the only one, but I thought the whole point of nuTrek was to tell new stories, not overtly rehash the old ones.

15. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

This.

What is the point of making the whole Trek thing all fresh and new if you're just going to re-do stuff we've already seen.

You've got a brand new sandbox with fresh piss-free sand, folks. Use it!

16. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There's also the board game Star Trek Expeditions which just came out and features a story set after the film, no mention of Orci involvement there so far as I can tell. I really hope this does mean the novels might be back on the cards sooner rather than later (to be released alongside the new film ideally I suppose).

I'm happy IDW has new Trek comics on the way, and the idea of an ongoing series, and expanding the new timeline. I'm a little unsure about the idea of revisiting TOS episodes, at least if the idea is to do quite a few. The chances of the same ship (ish) and crew encountering all the same things, but several years earlier seems a bit of a stretch to me. I hope they remember the new timeline is years earlier too, and take that into account when considering when/where/why events are happening as well.

17. indianatrekker26

I'm excited for this series, but i'm gonna wait and see the finished product before judging it based solely on a little description.
    I'm sure they dont plan to simply do adaptations of episodes, simply inserting chris pine for william shatner.
    People sure do love to jump to conclusions.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  18. BillJ

Interested in seeing some of the pencil work.

19. indianatrekker26

if you want to get an idea for steven Molnar's artwork, check out the IDW star trek: mission's end mini-series. He did that one.

20. BillJ

Thanks for the heads up. :techman:

Pretty underwhelming artwork. Not sure if its the penciller or that the inker went overboard.

Guess it would've been too much to ask for a big name art team on issue 1. :sigh:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011