Ultimate Canon poll

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Ensign_Redshirt, Feb 25, 2009.

?

Which of these do you consider Canon?

1. Star Trek: The Animated Series

58 vote(s)
    55.8%
  2. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

78 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. "Threshold" (Star Trek: Voyager episode)

61 vote(s)
    58.7%
  4. Star Trek: Enterprise

77 vote(s)
    74.0%
  5. Star Trek XI

51 vote(s)
    49.0%
  6. Star Trek: New Voyages/Star Trek: Phase II

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  7. Star Trek: Of Gods and Men

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

Which of these do you consider Canon?

2. jongredic

jongredic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I only ticked Threshold and Enterprise. I figure that if Spock's Brain is considered canon, then Threshold is too :p TATV would've been a tough one to decide on, but I think I'd have to say no. I have no problem accepting Enterprise as canon. But for those bits that don't make any sense - the Klingon first contact not being all that 'disastrous', or the whole Xindi/Expanse thing - I've just assumed it's the result of the constant meddling in the timeline thanks to the TCW.

I've never been overly keen on TFF and I find it hard to reconcile it with the rest of Trek.

Trek XI I'm holding out on, I'm avoiding all spoilers and knowledge of the film for now, but come May, I'll decide once and for all whether or not I consider it canon.

Phase II is an excellent fan production, but I view it the same as the novels being sort of pseudo-canon, until something comes along an definitively contradicts or confirms it.

OGAM was quite an entertaining film, but I didn't really see the point of it, so it's hard to fit it into canon. It's a nice idea to get Harriman involved though.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  3. Piper

Piper Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Long gone are the days when I really worry about what is and isn't canon, but my own view is that everything seen on screen, or starring the original actors, is canon. So all five Trek series, the ten films so far and the animated series. And nothing else yet.

Where Trek XI fits in I have no idea. :klingon:

4. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ I agree with Piper. All of it's canon. No matter how much squinting you do to have to make it fit!

5. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

YA! I have the same view!:lol: Except for the Animated series, if it ain't live action and on the screen it ain't to be seen!:lol:

6. DeVario

DeVario Commodore Commodore

I clicked TAS, TFF, "Threshold", ENT and TrekXI. If it's onscreen and produced by the keepers of Trek at any given time, then it's part of the canon.

7. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Options 2, 3, 4 & 5.

8. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you're reading a "canon" thread, you're probably a fellow obsessive, so greetings, brother or sister. But we are missing the point of canon.

To ask an individual if something is canon for him or her is contradictory to the traditional meaning of the word. Originally it meant measuring stick, and the most common usage is for the Hebrew Bible, the Christian Old Testament (not quite the same thing -- because of canon) and the Christian New Testament. The books commonly known to Christians were canonized -- officially circumscribed -- in the 4th and 5th centuries.

What I'm getting at is that a personal canon isn't one. Canon is an official designation to pre-empt discussions like the one here. In fact individuals who accepted different books or excluded canonical ones were considered heretics.

I'm pretty sure GR said TAS wasn't canon, and Paramount has said everything live-action from them IS. So there is one canon.

If another group, e.g. the PTB of this BBS, wanted to meet like a council of church "fathers" (sorry for the inherent sexism) and officially decree a different canon for its adherents, it could certainly do so, of course.

Maybe a better question would be, "Which ST events do you think actually will occur in the 23-24th centuries?" Of course, then we're getting into delusions.:lol:

A canon is actually a good thing to retreat to if you're obsessive because the rule is already determined for you. Then all you have to do is argue about why NX-01's nacelles are as they are, or whatever.:confused:

9. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    Everything but the fan productions are canon for me from this list. Trek XI is in another reality, but it's still 'real' and in my head 'Enterprise' happened a little differently than the holodeck filters we saw it through, but it still happened. ;)

And don't forget, if it's onscreen it happened. :)

10. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i ticked TFF and ENT. what's 'Threshold'? :devil:

11. mirandafave

mirandafave Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We can't really pick and choose if it has been up on the screen. TATV is canon because it happened - but that's not to say it only ever happened on a holo-deck for Riker and Troi!

As for TAS it shouldn't be considered canon but it did give us the Kzinthi so for that I'd be inclined to include it! :p

Agree with Praetor that certain things happened in a slighter sifferent timeline or reality but they did happen. If they don't square with other aspects of Trek - such as Threshold or crazy brainless plots I just subscribe them to Q playing around. He can do that you know.

12. mirandafave

mirandafave Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Though I didn't vote for the last two options because I don't know about them much and so wouldn't want to be wrong. :lol:

13. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

Was that actually said? -- because I think I've seen it posted here that it wasn't.

I'd be happy to hear it was said; but considering how much argument there has been over canon, it makes me think it was not said -- or said by some equivocal source or something.

14. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Color me an Arian, then. And remember, at least in the short term, the Arians won.:klingon:

Then again, is it really against canon to believe that the entire series of Enterprise was a holodeck program on the Enterprise-D? I mean, I admit it happened. Just not really.:p

All I voted for was TFF. It's rapidly becoming my favorite Trek film out of spite.

15. Vance

Vance Vice Admiral In Memoriam

Nothing. There is no 'canon'.

Why do fans constantly get this so utterly and completely wrong?

16. plynch

"As a rule of thumb, the events that take place within the live action episodes and movies are canon, or official Star Trek facts. Story lines, characters, events, stardates, etc. that take place within the fictional novels, the Animated Adventures, and the various comic lines are not canon.

There are a couple of exceptions to this rule: the Jeri Taylor penned novels "Mosaic" and "Pathways." Many of the events in these two novels feature background details of the main Star Trek: Voyager characters. (Note: There are a few details from an episode of the Animated Adventures that have entered into the Star Trek canon. The episode "Yesteryear," written by D.C. Fontana, features some biographical background on Spock.)"

-- from CBS/SONY official site, startrek.com (via http://www.canonwars.com/STCanon.html#III)

17. plynch

Deep Space Nine was all in the head of Benny Russell; would that imply all the rest of Trek is too? (St. Elsewhere was all in the imaginings of an autistic boy!) I think that is kind of cool and explains any inconsistencies -- Benny just got muddled with his stardates et al.

18. Vance

Vance Vice Admiral In Memoriam

And that hasn't applied since the end of Voyager. (Though some could argue that it didn't apply much during Voyager, either.)

19. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I'm writing in The Cage. Everything else is derivative.

20. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    No no, a wizard did it. :p