Star Ship Polaris

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by aridas sofia, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I sent the complete model over to Dennis last night. Note that I said "complete," not "finished." ;) I'm going to deliver one last update by the end of this week to finish optimizing and cleaning up a few remaining objects and possibly add a couple of greebles I just haven't gotten around to.

I'll post a few final renders over the next day or two, then I'm going to run a set of high-res orthos and use them to do some paintovers as a general guide to whoever textures the model.

While Dennis and the gang are working on the Polaris conversion, I may take some additional time to detail out the lander module and the interior of the lander docking bays for the scenes in which they are required. I'm also working on some design sketches for the engineering section, which will be visible as a backdrop in one scene, and maybe the interior of the EVA pod bays, though I don't intend to model those myself.

It's been a fun ride but I have to admit I'm glad this leg of the journey is finally done. I want to thank Dennis for giving me the opportunity to participate in this project. I also want to thank David Nielsen, a.k.a. Aridas Sofia, for originating the Polaris design and letting me run with it. I can hardly wait to see it in action. :techman:

I will, indeed, be returning to work on Grandeur fairly shortly, but I have a couple of real-life issues I need to deal with first. I should be back at it in earnest within 2 or 3 weeks.

Moving on!

2. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, when can we expect a link for general download? :eek:

I'm kidding! I'm kidding! ;)

I realize those files are going to be more tightly guarded than the gold in Fort Knox. And if they ever did wind up on the net, I suspect Dennis will order a "hit" upon both the "leaker" and the downloaders of the data. :wtf:

Sincerely,

Bill

3. Vektor

Yeah... nice try. :)

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Well, that explains the "Zoom!" and "Woosh!" noises coming from Dennis's room.:lol:

5. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Truly fantastic work. And while I'm glad to see this chapter coming to a close, I'm going to miss the updates. :)

6. aridas sofia

aridas sofia Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Congratulations, Vektor! You have shown tremendous development as a designer, visualizer and modeler during the course of the last four years. I can hardly wait to see where you go with your skills next!

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've taken a good look at the mesh and it's really magnificent. I know I'll have many questions for Vektor as I start on the conversion.

Thanks so much for this, Vektor. Needless to say, I'm anxious to see any other art and ideas that you have for Polaris - everything you've contributed so far is way beyond what I could have imagined when we started out on this.

And thanks again to aridas sofia for coming up with the original design to begin with.

8. FredCFO

FredCFO Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

[​IMG]

It's a little rough, but the boys down in Marketing at SyFy have a bite on it...

9. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Fred, please stop giving SyFy any more ideas! They'll ship a crew off to Eastern Europe with Dean Cain to star in it tomorrow. :vomit:

10. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Wow. Is this thread 4 years old already?

11. Vektor

12. sojourner

Nice. From this distance it almost looks like there's a potted plant filling most of the EVA control room window.

13. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Here's a weird question - how do you guys in the production pronounce Polaris? Is it po-LARR-iss or po-LAIR-iss? I've heard and said it both ways myself, depending on the situation.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Depends on the planetary accent of the speaker.

15. Vektor

That's the ship's mascott, Audry II.

16. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ :lol:
    Hopefully none of the crew is named Seymour!

17. Admiral Buzzkill

There was an Ensign Seymour, but we can't find him.

18. Vektor

Just playing around with some lighting and self-illumination ideas.

[​IMG]

19. Vektor

Or maybe this...

[​IMG]

20. sojourner

Love that red ring!