Season ONE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Mutai Sho-Rin, Jul 24, 2012.

1. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

That just goes to show you the improvement in quality! Maybe we'll be able to see the Enterprise-C's torpedo launchers :rommie:

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Or the Nebula class's impulse engines?!

3. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One great thing about Justice is Picard's line "There can be no justice where laws are absolute". Great line.

4. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Collider has a review up.

looks like they didn't listen on a 5.1 or 7.1 surround system.

I don't think anyone has really mentioned this yet.

5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Agreed, that's a good one.

6. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Season One is almost finished. All I've got left is "The Neutral Zone". So far, here are my statistics.

Smartest Character: The Bynars
    The way they handled the crises of their planet probably makes them the smartest alien species that has ever dealt with the Federation in Star Trek. There is a disturbing truth in the Bynars' simple reasoning "You would have said no", especially when you look at episodes like Dear Doctor (Archer and crew decide to allow two entire civilizations to die out when they asked for help) and Symbiosis (Picard is willing to let an entire civilization go through withdraw that will no doubt cause an outbreak of violence).

Annoying Character: Wesley Crusher
    Take it away SFDebris, "First officer's log. Supplemental. Fu** you Wesley."

Worst Example of an Enlightened Human: Picard
    Calls military uniforms "costumes" in a smug manner, hates children, allows a teenage boy who is an inexperience non-starfleet officer to take the ops station on the Federation flagship, will break the prime directive to save Wesley but not an entire civilization, reassures his first officer for not saving a little girl, openly questions the suggestions of his bridge staff when they make very logical suggestions and believes that humans will one day become angels and gods who will be more powerful than the Q.

More to come. TNZ will be a refresher.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  7. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

But he treats the Prime Directive as absolute... in some situations... when it makes the least amount of sense.

8. MikeS

I know it's only a single word but it makes a huge difference in the context of your arguement, the line is "You might have said no". And as a Federation member world, I find it hard to believe Starfleet would refuse their request. Anyway, it's a good example of "the needs of the many...", four Bynars sacrifice their liberty for the guaranteed safety of their entire planet.

That's a good observation. He doesn't practice what he preaches when it comes to the law of the Prime Directive.

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, just watched Angel One, and it really is pretty awful.

Other than the weirdness of seeing Bonnie from Knight Rider in an episode of Star Trek, and getting to see Data in charge of the Enterprise for a brief time, there was just nothing redeeming about it whatsoever.

The most baffling part of all is Riker's sudden attraction to the planet's leader. He goes from being completely disgusted with her to being all flirty and lovey dovey with her a couple scenes later. Lol.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The little head started thinking for him. :lol:

11. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

It's just a pity that it had to be a "federation world" for us to to say yes at all. Kind of emphasizes the Federation as a "Even if you're whole world is dying, if you're not one of us, you won't be getting any help" kind of society.

12. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So you are complaining, that Picard isnt making it easy to continue the supply of the drug, calling him inmoral, but you have not the slightest problem whatsoever wit the fact, that he doesnt tell the Ornarans about their drug addiction and it is in fact not a medicine they are taking?

It seems, you didnt get the point of this episode - or like Roddenberry would say (as Piller once quoted): What the story is all about.

13. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Watched Symbiosis and Skin of Evil tonight. I really want to talk about Skin of Evil, but the one thing I will say about Symbiosis was I thought Picard was in the right in terms of how the prime directive is suppose to be interpreted.

Anyway, Skin of Evil. This is mostly known as the episode they killed Tasha Yar, but in watching it tonight (And I've been seeing these episodes kind of as if they were new) I couldn't help but think this one really was one of the better episode of the season. It was definitely the highlight of Troi's season. I've always hated Counselor Troi, at least before the movies and Voyager, even though that hate became kind of tolerable when she got the uniform. The reason for this hate is because I thought she was more often than not, useless, or as I like to call her "Queen of the Obvious". However, I really thought Skin of Evil was the episode were the writers finally used her the right way. She wasn't always interrupting the conversation, but really using Armus's psychological well being against him and I thought it was some of Sirtis's best work in the early going. I think we can all agree that "Face of the Enemy" was Troi's best episode (even though I would like to know, what is everyone's favorite Troi episode), but I do think Skin of Evil deserves to be up there, not to mention it's Sirtis actually as Troi instead of a Romulan Tal'Shiar agent.

Also, I really liked the concept of pure evil. TNG really did explore some dark things in the early going, be in the 21st century court of horrors, or blowing someone's head off, but this episode explored the meaning of true evil and I really liked that.

As for the funeral scene, I actually got choked up during that scene. I've really crapped on Denise Crosby in this thread (Again, all that crapping on her will cease if they manage to interview her again for the Season 3 or 5 sets and she explained her change of mind and attitude towards TNG and the franchise as a whole. I just want to hear how someone who seemed to hate her time on the show so much went on to become one of the more pivotal actresses of the franchise in terms of marketing it) but that was a great scene and summarized the characters pretty well.

I only have 3 episodes left, but I'm really liking a lot of season 1. It just feels like the show had a different feel in Season 1 than it did in it's "popular" years and I'm enjoying a lot of the episodes again, even though I have just seen them in the last year on DVD.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  14. tomalak301

Just watched We'll Always have Paris, and I have one question. Which 2 seconds were unconverted because I couldn't spot it.

15. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

The enhanced visuals and sound are appreciated, but they're not changing my opinion of the episodes themselves. The story, ideas, writing and acting remain the same.

16. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

It's when Data is doing his hiccup-is-an-incorrect-analogy-gag. This is the shot:

[​IMG]

Full res: http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/3428/vlcsnap2012071903h43m46.jpg

You can see how much better the preceding shot looks:

[​IMG]

Full res: http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/638/vlcsnap2012071903h44m42.jpg

17. MikeS

^Thanks.

Although I can't see much of a difference actually!

18. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

It seems, you didn't get the point of my argument. Come back when you do.

19. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Just wait until you see it in motion.

20. tomalak301

Same here. Extremely hard to notice.