Castle: Season 3 (Nathan Fillion, Stana Katic) - Discussion & Spoilers

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Aragorn, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Castle: Season 3 (Nathan Fillion, Stana Katic) - Discussion & Spoi

Tonight was new? Ooops...forgot it was on tonight...damn.

oh, wait...I recorded it. Whew!

2. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

As soon as I saw the picture of Brett Cullen I knew what the resolution would be. Seemed like a bit of a waste to bring him in for such a small role.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh, that's who that was. I thought the guy looked vaguely familiar, and the name Brett Cullen is vaguely familiar too. But he's one of those "Hey, it's, uhh, that guy" actors for me. Checking his IMDb profile, I see he's been in a number of things I've seen (like "The Phenom" on The Incredible Hulk and "Meridian" on DS9), but he's never been a name or face that really stuck in my memory.

4. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

It saddened me a little on behalf of The Cape that Castle's throw-away smoke-bomb gag looked so much better than theirs, which appears to be a signature move of the show.

Also, after that ending, I'm going to be really frustrated if they have Castle and Beckett fail to hook up again.

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Okay, that's cute.

6. AJBryant

AJBryant Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

7. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I'm sure at the very least they will drag it out until the end of the season. I'm not holding my breath though.

8. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

I could stand seeing more of Lainie in bed!

9. Christopher

^Technically, I don't think we saw her in bed at all. They appeared to be on the floor.

10. IcecreamLtDan

IcecreamLtDan Captain Captain

Well, there is more room on the floor.........

Anyway, enjoyable episode, the only problem I had with it was the reaction, or lack thereof of the twin brother upon the admittance of murder by the rich guy. While I'm sure they briefed the brother on what was going on and explained what could happen if he over reacted, I would have a hard time not at least going after the guy once he admitted to murdering my brother.

11. Aragorn

[​IMG]

Castle and Beckett investigate the murder of the lead detective on Beckett's mother's homicide case.

12. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Well we know that ...
    Vulcan isn't the murderer. It'd be too logical

13. Christopher

Awesome episode. Great to get back into the mom-murder arc (though it's refreshing to have a modern show that understands it's okay for an arc to just be revisited once in a while rather than be constantly serialized). There were some really good character moments -- with Beckett and Castle (and was this the first time they both called each other by their first names in the same episode?) and with Castle and Martha (a shame there was no Alexis, though). I loved the reveal of Beckett's secret homemade case board. It's like she showed Castle her Batcave (and yeah, that came out sounding naughtier than I intended).

Still, I'm a little disappointed that so little real progress was made. Well, I guess there was some progress. Last time, we found out who shot Beckett's mom. This time, we found out why. What's left is finding out who the ultimate mastermind is and what this bigger conspiracy is.

(You know, there was a moment, when Captain Montgomery refused to let Beckett come into the 12th even though she said she'd be safest there, that I wondered if he might turn out to be the Big Bad. That'd be a daring twist.)

But I'm annoyed at Castle's failure of basic genre-savviness in the teaser. I mean, come on, a guy wants to reveal a killer's name, but instead of just saying it, he gives a long, rambling preliminary speech? Come on, that pretty much guarantees he'll be shot before he finishes! I kept waiting for Castle to point that out and urge the guy to stop burying the lead. (I remember a Get Smart episode where a character was sufficiently genre-savvy that the very first thing he said was the killer's name, but Max forgot it and the guy was shot before he could repeat it. Or something like that.)

14. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Montgomery might still turn out to be on the wrong side or at least knowing more than he lets on. Even when police in clearly in the wrong, they have a tendency to protect their own.

15. TimmyWl

TimmyWl Commodore Commodore

I thought it was good. I did like how Castle's Mom was worried about Castle getting into danger and at one point Castle admitted that "It's not about the books anymore". I think Castle has crossed a point where he can't function without Beckett anymore.

16. Aragorn

Montgomery can't be the big bad. He's not that powerful. It'd have to be a crime lord or someone high up in political office.

Or maybe they'll have a crossover with another ABC show and make Anna the big bad. Or Stephen Collins. :lol:

17. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

I would not rule out Montgomery so quickly.

From what we know so far, 3 cops (Raglan, McCallister and an unknown) is involved 19 years ago with kidnapping Mafiaso for ransom. That third unknown cop, now rich from the ransom money and a few smart investments over the past 19 years, can afford to hire assassins to cover up his past crimes.

So far out of everyone we know on Castle, both Montgomery and possibly the Mayor fits the bill. Personally, I feel Montgomery has that "omgicantbelieveitshim!" shock factor.

Then again, McCallister said Beckette has "woken the dragon". Montgomery doesn't fit the profile of a dragon. So very likely, that third unknown cop could be a totally unknown third party. :guffaw:

18. I Grok Spock

I Grok Spock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

These "serious" episodes seem so out of tone with the bulk of the series. So next week we're back to yukking it up? Which is fine by me, 'cause that's the version of the show I like, but when it goes from grins and giggles to grim and gritty and back, I get whiplash.

19. Christopher

^It would get dull if the show never varied its tone. A good drama series should have the occasional comedy episode to ease the tension, and a good comedy series should have the occasional heavy drama to keep us invested.

20. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

Totally agree.

I think it's the boyfriend. I don't bother to remember his name because I already know Castle is her soulmate.

Yeah, I kind of wondered about that, too. The last time she had a police car parked outside her building her apt. was blown up.

But if he had done that, the case would have been solved before the first commercial.