High School Reunions

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Gryffindorian, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't blame you. I already stay in touch with the people I want to. Lots of snobby douches back in the day that probably still bleach their hair blonde and shout obscenities in public places.

2. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I've just learned that the reunion won't be held until Saturday, 06/25. The "excuse" I gave my peers was that I had something else planned for 06/11, and now the coordinator, one of the nicer gals I knew back then, said there's still a chance for me to buy a ticket. I know I have a four-day weekend scheduled for that week (one of my stay-cations away from work). Now I'm wondering if I should actually give it a try. I want to watch Green Lantern that weekend (3D and regular); on the other hand, it would be a shame to miss out on the dinner party and see some of the people I haven't seen in decades.

3. SicOne

SicOne Commodore Commodore

Go to the reunion. Give it a try. You can see GL another time; it's not like it's gonna leave the theaters after one weekend. At the very least, you'll have given it your best, and have been provided with entertainment value in the form of observing how low some of the cheerleader and jock types have fallen since the days of glory and how well some of the wallflowers have turned out.

Believe me, I know this. :)

4. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

This thought is one of those things that sounds so logical and straightforward that it must be true. However, several years ago I went to my 20 year reunion, my first reunion and found that, no, it wasn't true.

Of course, I did talk to all of my good friends from HS, the ones that I had been in touch with. It was cool to have them all in one spot, which is rare these days.

But, the really cool part was connecting with people that I didn't associate with back in HS. Thanks to maturity, growth, and now obsolete cliques, I chatted extensively with them and it was awesome. This was an aspect of reunions that I hadn't guessed at.

Of course, YMMV, but that was the experience that I had. I had a great time at my reunion and plan to attend all future ones even though it involves a lot of travel.

Mr Awe

5. Mr Awe

Somehow, I don't find that hard to believe at all! :)

Mr Awe

6. Mr Awe

Just give it a try. Even if it sucks, it's just one night. But, on the other hand, you might just have a great time!

Often reunions are what you put into them too. If you want to have fun and socialize, that's what will happen. If you go with a bad attitude, you won't have so much fun.

Mr Awe

7. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I also would've had to go all the way from New Jersey to Alaska for it. Didn't really seem worth the expense, and I had a pretty small class so I knew just about everyone already. There's also an alumni website where almost all my classmates had registered and posted about what they were up to after HS. The result of that was me catching up with some of them on FB, email, and by phone. While it would be nice to see some of those people again, most of 'em are scattered across the country and didn't go to the reunion anyway.

8. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah going to Alaska would be a hassle. Mine is in TN, but it is drivable for me.

9. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

I was in charge of the group that coordinated my schools 20th reunion back in 2008.. I will NEVER. DO. THAT. AGAIN... :)

Seriously though... It was fun and rewarding, but it sucked up the better part of my life for 6 months..

But the payoffs were enormous. The event was fantastic and everyone had a blast.

Here's the thing I noticed... We were a smallish class of about 200.. I was never one of the "popular kids", but I pretty much got along with everyone.. We had our groups and cliques to be sure, but I never downright hated any one of my classmates..

the 10th reunion was basically like a big highschool party.. Many of us were still single and still living that partying lifestyle.. Our groups from highschool separated out and I know a lot of people didn't have a great time..

But something in the following 10 years changed.. We got married.. We had kids.. A couple of us had died.. We started to really grow up.. The team put together for the reunion reflected almost every aspect of our different groups: Jocks, popular kids, freaks, geeks, etc... I was put in charge simply by the fact that I was unlucky enough to raise my hand first when the school asked for volunteers...

At the events we put together, we came together as a group.. It was amazing to behold.. Kids who NEVER hung out together in school were dancing and chatting and sharing drinks.. I'm happy to say that's carried over the the three years since.. Us locals still go out for drinks or house parties and share stories.. Thanks to Facebook just starting to come into its own around the time of our reunion, we've been able to carry on... It's been really fantastic to remain connected...

10. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

Part of me was glad to see some of the people I hated in High School. Mostly because they had become balding, grey haired, and fat, while I had not.

11. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

I would not say i hated them, more like they are non entities to me, and I'm very happy with that.:)

But at least you gleaned some joy when you met yours.:techman:

12. Gryffindorian

I'm thinking about it. Part of the reason I don't want to commit myself into going is that I'm a single, unattached guy. Most people my age are already married and/or have kids. Those people usually go with a spouse or a significant other, and since I'm not in a relationship, it would be a bit awkward for me to hang out with a group of people who tend to gravitate towards other couples. If there had a been a reunion 10 years ago when I was still fairly young, I probably would've gone.

I have no problems dining alone, going to the movies by myself, even traveling alone, or attending certain social gatherings. But there are certain "expectations" when one goes to a class reunion; it's almost as if people get into a competitive mood: who's married, who's got a family and a big house, who makes a ton of money and drives a luxury car, etc. That's another factor that comes into play. I'm doing well in life for the most part, but I'm by no means some big-time celebrity or Bill Gates.

13. darthraidr

darthraidr Commodore Commodore

there have been a few people that i have gotten back in contact with via Facebook. some people who i hung out a lot with in HS, and some people that i didnt.

even just browsing people's pages and seeing the things they like (enough to post about on facebook) makes me wish i did take the time to get to know them better.

my 10 year reunion was about 5 years ago. i skipped it because it was in Downtown LA (a drive i hate, and a city i hate driving around in), it wasn't cheap, and i knew my wife wouldnt want to stay late (late meaning staying up past 10)... i also felt i didnt have much to show off. nothing really noteworthy.

if we have a 15 year reunion. i'd be more likely to go. why not? i got along well enough. there are a few people i'd like to see. and i do have a couple of noteworthy things done (though now i wouldnt really want to talk about them).

i do keep in contact with my close friends from HS. but it would be a good chance to see, in person, those that i didnt keep in contact with. and a chance to mingle with people that i should have spoken to in HS.

14. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

After the advent of Facebook, I've been seeing a lot of people from high school at mini-gatherings every few months. We'll get together at a local restaurant and just have fun talking and renewing friendships and actually making new friends - from people that 30 years ago - I wouldn't have given the time of day. Time changes people - luckily for me it's often been for the better.

Be open to going. You might be pleasantly surprised.

15. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

My 10 year would be in 2013 if it happens... I'm not really expecting any of my 200 classmates to step up and organize it. I still live in the same city and I would probably go. High school was neither amazing nor traumatic so I don't feel very strongly on the matter.

16. SicOne

SicOne Commodore Commodore

Best testimonials thus far.

And you never know. You might really hit it off with someone in your class who you never knew existed, or they never knew you existed, but look pretty good to each other now. Whether it turns into a lengthy commitment or merely a night of unbridled hedonism, it would still make it worthwhile, wouldn't it? ;)

17. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Absolutely no interest in attending a school reunion. Once something is over it is over and I never give it a second thought and I say that as someone who had no problems at school. I visit my home town enought to know I have nothing in common with the sort of people who would attend and still live there. I would rather do something with actual friends than attend an event to celebrate an point in my history I don't actually remember and don't care about.

18. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I almost went to my 10-year reunion until I found out only nine people were attending. None of whom I really knew. I'm not interested my 15-year at all because of this. Maybe the 20, I don't know.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  19. AliciaD496

AliciaD496 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ironically I just found out plans had been solidified for my 10-year reunion just yesterday.

While I might like to see some of my old classmates I'm hesitant to go. My class had about 500 or so students in it so it's a possibility I might not even have a chance to see the ones I'd like to see because of the size of the crowd (or that they'll even show up). I'm not exactly in a good place right now and I doubt much will change by August when the reunion is to make it less embarrassing to discuss what I've 'accomplished' in 10 years. I'm fat, I'm unemployed (albeit a full-time student), I'm single, not much to really say for myself right now. Also if things go as I planned I may have moved and starting my second bachelor's the week after the reunion, and it's a 6 hour drive to where I might move from my hometown.

Am I being ridiculous? I always get nervous about these kind of things anyway, and I'm not sure if I'll enjoy myself or not.

20. Gryffindorian

I don't think you're being ridiculous as much as you're being a bit too harsh on yourself. You're still fairly young, and this is only your 10th-year reunion, not your 20th or 25th. If you're not comfortable going "as you are" today, then there'll be another opportunity for you (and by that time, your situation will have improved). There's always the feeling of dread for being judged based on one's accomplishments and/or personal image. But then again, from what I have read so far, it goes both ways.