Predict the decade when/if DS9's quality will ever be topped

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Navaros, Jan 29, 2010.

?

In which decade will DS9's quality be topped by other Trek, if ever?

1. Don't be silly, DS9's quality will NEVER be topped!

12 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. DS9's quality will be topped between 2010-2020.

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  3. DS9's quality will be topped between 2020-2030.

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  4. DS9's quality will be topped between 2030-2040.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. DS9's quality will be topped between 2040-2050.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. DS9's quality will be topped between 2050-2060.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. DS9's quality will be topped between 2060-2070.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. DS9's quality will be topped between 2070-2080.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. DS9's quality will be topped between 2080-2099.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. DS9's quality will be topped only after 2100+.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Navaros

Navaros Commodore Commodore

With Abrams controlling Trek, after seeing his first Trek product, IMO there is certainly no chance of any Trek product surpassing DS9's quality in the forseeable future.

Perhaps after Abrams' control expires a decade or two into the future, then DS9-quality Trek products may resurface.

On the other hand, the proliferation in our time of really dumb entertainiment like 'reality TV' may indicate that even if a better person was controlling Trek, it would still have no chance to surpass DS9's quality.

As such, I predict DS9's quality will never be surpassed by another Trek product.

What do you think?

2. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Given that Abrams was also behind LOST, which I think has been one of the better shows of the past decade, I think it's entirely possible that a Trek product could come to rival DS9.

But of course, in the ADHD times we live in now, why not judge someone's ability to create quality Trek based solely on one movie? There were certainly no bad DS9 episodes, ever...

3. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

While Lost was co-created by Abrams, he hasn't had anything to do with the show since, I believe, the pilot, but certainly not since the first season. It's Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse who developed the five year arc for Lost (which became six years after the last writers' strike shortened season four). Lost is really the brainchild of Cuse/Lindelof. When Abrams was working on the pilot, none of the long-term story detailed had yet been worked out.

4. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was less than thrilled with Abrams Star Trek: Red Squad (The Movie), in quite a few ways it was not better than Nemesis, which helped "kill" off the TNG era. However, Abrams has done some stuff that has been good, even shows that were better than DS9 in my opinion. In fact in the decade since DS9 finished that have been a number of high quality TV shows despite the "reality TV era" the last 10 years were.

I have no idea what the plans are about going back to TV, is there a show in the works? I think it is possible for a new show in the next decade to be just as good, if not better than DS9. I'll be optimistic and say in the next decade.

5. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Abram's stuff often starts good, then gets weird and wonky... I think there are shows already that have or could've topped DS9- Firefly for instance. And on the whole I really liked Stargate... but if you want to look to the future, there should be something this decade.

6. Kira Nerys

Kira Nerys Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

7. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I honestly hope it will. Well, I think it has been- albeit with shows that didn't get to 7 seasons.

8. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

DS9 will never be topped. Especially with Abrams calling the shots.

9. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

DS9 was great, but there's every chance that a new series, helmed by Abrams or someone else, could surpass it, whenever it's made. You may talk about the popularity of "dumb entertainment", but this is also the age of great, intelligent shows like The Wire. When DS9 started, sci-fi TV was not great, since then we've had The X-Files, Babylon 5, Farscape et al and the genre is the better for it. Subsequent Trek shows were much inferior to DS9, but with the right writers, the right network and the right cast, the sky's the limit.

10. Kirk1980

Kirk1980 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think it will be...just not by Abrams and company.

Oh and Pemner...

Babylon 5 Premiere: 2/22/93
    X-Files Premire: 9/10/93

DS9 Premiere: 1/3/93

They all premiered the same year, friend:) Hardly enough time to say that when DS9 started, sci-fi wasn't great.

11. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

/\ I'm aware of when they started, but the fact remains that DS9 did start first and at that moment sci-fi TV was pretty much TNG, Quantum Leap and little else. That didn't stop DS9 becoming a great show.

12. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

It'll happen in this new decade. Though other shows that aren't Trek already surpassed DS9 in the last decade.

13. Tallis Rhul

Tallis Rhul Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, it does depend on whether we're narrowing the field to Sci-Fi or TV in general really.

And is Abrams controlling the whole of Trek? I thought he was just directing the films? :/

14. Navaros

Navaros Commodore Commodore

Like what?

15. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Babylon 5 surpassed it while it was airing and before DS9 even ended. LOST surpassed it already. NuBSG is about equal to it (which isn't saying much). Firefly was already equal to DS9 when it was on, and if it had lasted it would've surpassed it. That's just sci-fi TV alone.

DS9 was hardly some Godsend.

16. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

This is a hard question, particularly since DS9 was made at the same time as Babylon 5, a show I love just as much.

On the other hand, anything is possible. Who knows what some writer in the future will come up with after we're all dead?

17. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

With regard to another Trek series outdoing DS9, I do not see this happening any time soon. In fact, I seriously doubt any attempt of the current administration will ever come close to the quality of DS9. I find this to be a very sad state of affairs, but, alas this is how TPTB believe they can make money. Banality sells seems to be the current motto.

Outside of Trek, DS9 is certainly up there with the very best TV series that have ever been made. However, I find it hard to rank them as it's quite a diverse bunch. With regard to other scifi shows, I feel nothing has surpassed it. Babylon 5 is too obscure for my taste and nuBSG was only really good for 2 seasons. Lost is fun but forgettable in the long term (i.e. it has little rewatchable value). And Stargate doesn't even come near any of these shows. Many argue Firefly was great but in all honesty it was too short to really compare to a 176 episode epic like DS9.

18. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

True, it doesn't compare to DS9, but Firefly wasn't without it's charm.

19. Treker

Treker Lieutenant Red Shirt

I voted 2020-2030.

Hopefully there is somebody new in charge by then.

20. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Abrams is certainly locked into the next movie, but he has lots of other projects and may tire of Star Trek. By the year 2015 or so we could have a new bright boy and a different view point - reset on Trek, perhaps a reset back to the original universe/timeline.

Promises and hollywood contracts are made to be broken. I vote a optimistic 2010 - 2020.