Where did Spock go?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, May 16, 2010.

1. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

How did Kirk J stay in Starfleet Academy with his attitude, and almost graduated in 3 years?

2. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Same reason Nero was able to attack Vulcan without so much as a errant rock coming his way, BECAUSE EVERYONE IN THAT FRAKKING MOVIE IS AN UTTER MORON!!

3. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

There is much truth in that statement, Captain.

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Without so much as an errant rock, besides the entire fleet Nero destroys before the Enterprise arrives, you mean?

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well we never actually see him during his normal course of studies. He could still have been the "stack of books with legs" that Gary Mitchell spoke of.

Sure, Kirk was an asshole when we first met him at the bar, but he could have swung completely around and gone all-out into his work when he was at the Academy.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kirk is Kirk.

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Hmm. I've always thought Shatner was Kirk.

8. 3D Master

3D Master Rear Admiral

Yeah, the idea that Kirk is an asshole as a kid, entered the academy and asshole, exited the academy an asshole, spent his time being an asshole on board the Enterprise... but during the academy was conveniently a sweet nerd holding a stack of books. Said idea coming from movie/canon apologists trying to convince everyone, "No really, he's just canon Kirk, we just missed that part in the movie."

Aka, the asshole-saint-asshole-theory. Or even shorter, it's ass.

This coming from the same people claiming those who didn't like the movie are "canonistas".

9. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

I didn't like the movie Kirk. He was indeed an asshole and I can't see that Kirk becoming our Kirk.

But since it's reboot Trek, it doesn't matter. The characters can differ all they want. I can enjoy the story knowing that they're not the same characters as in the regular Trek world, but alternate Trek world characters.

10. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

And this is the essence of it: it's a reboot. nuKirk is a reinterpretation and not an extrapolation of TOS Kirk.

Again the film is rewriting everything so it boggles the mind that some folks insist that it's in addition to what came before rather than a rewrite of what came before.

11. Zeppster

Zeppster Commodore Commodore

I think the spirit of TOS is what makes this movie so good. There's a lot of inconsistencies with the 09 film but there's a lot of inconsistencies with the TOS series. That doesn't make either any less liked by me.

12. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Then we definately have a different interpretation of TOS' essence because from what I saw I didn't recognize one sliver of commonality between TOS and Abrams' crapfest.

13. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

14. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

he's not using that much hyperbole, though

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

:lol:

16. 3D Master

3D Master Rear Admiral

In fact, I think he's understating things.

17. Joker

Joker Vice Admiral Admiral

You're in a weird and obsessive minority, though.

Nobody ever listens to those.

18. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

^No... I don't think many people can honestly say this film has more in common with TOS than at the most superficial level -- basically, the same names are used.

19. Joker

Joker Vice Admiral Admiral

Sure, we all have our views. But... in fiction, things can and will change, especially after 40 years. It isn't automatically better or worse for it.

All that's happened here is some fans weren't given what they wanted, which they were never entitled to or owed to begin with. To listen to 3D Master and Hyperbole9 overstating things while patting each other on the back like nodding dogs, you'd think there was a real problem beyond their own personal disappointment.

There ain't. Star Trek moved on, did something new, which it's allowed to do.

20. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Oh, there are commonalities.

However, nuTrek is more of a popcorn movie. Fun, a good summer movie flick, with some mild liking for the characters. I can't, however, see it leading to the kind of show (or series of movies) that will build a small, but loyal fanbase as TOS did, the kind of fanbase that is still around after 40 odd years.

As long as the new movies make enough money to make TPTB happy, we'll keep seeing nuTrek. I don't expect it to bring new fans permanently into the fold. It's the kind of movie that will bring temporary fans perhaps, who will in a short time move on to something else.

Personally, I think Trek has run its course. It's been much longer than I expected; when I was 13 I thought I had missed it all. It was really just beginning - with 4 series to go and eleven movies following the original Star Trek.