THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Skywalker, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Halmirdax

Halmirdax Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Wasn't expecting that Dwarf work out. The weapons, the gorgeous weapons and the Lake Town and all of it, amazing! Glad we're getting all these sneak peeks.

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

‘Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Extended Edition’ release dates, content, pricing announced

Only 12 minutes of additional footage. Disappointing, yet unsurprising. That section of the book was almost entirely in the film. My only hope is that the two riddles that were omitted from the "Riddles in the Dark" sequence will be added, but I have a feeling they weren't filmed.

On the plus side, despite my fears to the contrary, the DVD set appears to have all of the same features as the Blu-Ray edition.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Considering they took two filmed movies and basically made three movie releases out of them, I'm not expecting a lot of cut scenes from any of these releases... :lol:

4. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

The Desolation of Smaug and The Battle of Five Armies (or does film three have a different name now?) extended editions could be longer, thanks to the additional filming this spring and summer.

5. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

The final film has always been subtitled There and Back Again.

6. Halmirdax

I had read that the dvd versions would be longer. It'll be intriguing to see what more there is.

7. Halmirdax

The listing for the Extended Unexpected Journey is up!

Heads up, there are a few spoilers I would guess in what it lists as special features as it really goes through step by step in depth. Only 13 minutes of extra footage but nearly 9 hours of features. I for one will be ordering that as soon as it's available in the UK. Maybe those 13 minutes will be exciting stuff, but it stands on its own if not.

8. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Hm... waste money on it now, or wait a bit to get a complete 6 film collection box? By the time, it would already be in U-HD.

9. The Nth Doctor

10. The Nth Doctor

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

It shouldn't come as a surprise anymore that Blu-ray gets all the goodies. They want people to buy that version of the movie, not the DVD version.

I'm kinda disappointed that we're only getting commentary from Peter Jackson and Philippa Boyens. I loved all the different commentaries on the LotR EEs: Jackson, Boyens and Fran Walsh, the cast, the production crew...

12. The Nth Doctor

The DVD edition has all of the special features that are on the Blu-Ray, just not the statue. Very annoying.

I'm also disappointed that there's only one commentary track. Would have been great to have a dwarf-only track and one with Martin Freeman, Ian McKellan and Slyvester McCoy.

13. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just seen Beorn, consider me unimpressed.

I loved damn near all of the design work on Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings trilogy (For my money the best blockbusters ever made!), but on these films the work seems lesser. I thought the dwarves and Radagast in the last movie looked lame, and I'm getting the same vibe from Beorn.

Not hugely enthused about the idea of an Extended Edition of the first film either. I liked the movie but it was way too padded out. The Extended Edition for Jackson's The Two Towers actually made the film way better because so much was underdeveloped in the Theatrical Cut. Here I think we'll see an already meandering film meander that little bit extra.

14. The Nth Doctor

The new trailer is out!

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbOEknbi4gQ[/yt]

I don't give a rat's ass about Legolas and Kate, I mean, Tauriel and their romantic prospects (aka Aragorn and Arwen: The Prequel), but HOLY SHIT I got goose bumps hearing Benedict Cumberbatch as Smaug! :eek:

15. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

Yup, that voice is pretty great. I can't wait to see the whole thing!

16. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

17. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I can't wait to see this!

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Awesome trailer. I was glad to see more of the Elves, and Cumberbatch sounds great as Smaug.

19. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

20. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Amazon UK are still preselling The Hobbit Extended 5 disc Bluray set for only £15 and now they're selling all the Game of Thrones Kindle e-books for £0.99 each !