Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JJ-R, Sep 5, 2012.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Didn't notice it at the time, but now that you point it out, it does look weird.

2. BriGuy

BriGuy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't notice anything wrong when I watched this episode and I can't see what you're complaining about.

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Sorry dude, the new one looks a lot better.

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Honestly, the new FX for Dauphin in the asteroid field are breathtaking. This was always on my list of top FX sequences in STNG and now even moreso.

There are still 3-4 episodes I havent watched. Must get on it!

5. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

*whistle*

Nice catch there Mick. Even ex-astris-scientia missed it in their comparisons.

6. BriGuy

BriGuy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Honestly, what is it that's so "completely wrong"???

7. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Honestly, what is it that's so "completely wrong"???[/QUOTE]

They used a completely different piece of stock footage, even though the original was available and had been restored in S1.

8. davejames

The only thing I'm still wondering, is how exactly this is a place Wesley had visited before. Is this some kind of tourist destination or something, where you can go stand on an asteroid and listen to the harmonic frequencies for awhile? :wtf:

Even in the 24th century, and with a spacesuit, it seems like that would be a pretty dangerous thing to do.

9. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Wesley was obviously lying, it was his "Hiking trip on Mt. Tibidabo" story. It apparently isn't very effective on metamorphs.

Agreed on the girl, wish we got to see more of her.

The Dauphin is sort of a lame episode. I can't say I hate it nor can I say I like it. On a watch-through I'll usually watch it, though. But, really, it's an episode about Wesley crushing on some rather average looking girl WAY out of his league. I also think he over-reacts just a bit when he finds out she's a metamorph. I mean, certainly he didn't think she was human, did he? He knew she was an alien, right? Perhaps he thought she was a humanoid alien that looked like a human and was shocked to find out she was non traditionally biological entity but he flips the fuck out over it thinking she was playing with him to be malicious?!

Loved Worf's bit though, after suggesting to woo the girl by reading her love poetry and hurling furniture around Wesley dismisses this. Worf's new suggestion? "Go to her door. Beg like a human."

:lol:

10. I-Am-Prepared!

I-Am-Prepared! Ensign Red Shirt

11. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

12. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's a weird first name, actually. "Mädchen" is pure german and means "little girl".

13. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

aye! Madchen is smokin hot!

My favorite part of that episode is Worf confronting the old lady/beast.
    Then later when she suggests they'd be a formidable combo in combat.

14. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

15. davejames

She's aged very well. :)

16. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Good catch. I didn't notice it at first viewing. The fact that it's the same shot and angle both in the wide shot and the viewscreen adds an error that wasn't in the original. It didn't stick out though, unlike the CGI Enterprise.

I always liked the dark lighting of the Enterprise in that episode. Though it and Yamato no longer appear purple in the remaster.

I notice that the impulse engine is orange in this shot, similar to CBS-D's work in season 1, inconsistent with HTV's usual work of making it red.
    http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x02/where_silence_has_lease_hd_314.jpg

This comparison makes me wince:

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x01/farpoint_hd_013.jpg
    http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x02/where_silence_has_lease_hd_107.jpg
    DVD: http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s2/2x02/wheresilence053.jpg

I take a look at HTV's efforts, and I think "Bran Ferren - Star Trek V."
    http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/tffhd/ch8/tffhd1004.jpg
    http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/tffhd/ch12/tffhd1699.jpg

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  17. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

18. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just finished watching the entire set and I have enjoyed it quite a bit. I loved revisiting this series and it is much stronger than I rememberd. The latter part had some brilliant character moments.

To me it seems that near the end of the season HTV seemed to be getting the hang of the remastering job. Episodes like The Emissary, Peak Performance and Shades of Grey looked fabulous. Less DNR-ing of effects scenes, better detail on the effects work, better planets and very faithful to the original work.

I think there could be a number of explanations for this. One, CBS had the advantage of figuring out and perfecting the remastering process when they prepared the sampler disc. When they started work on season 1 they had the experience of working on those three episodes behind them, which HTV obviously didn't. The people at HTV had to perfect the process as they were working on the season, hence the mixed results in the earlier half and the improvement near the end.
    Two, CBS had some words with the people at HTV illuminate after they'd seen their work and told them to put their backs into it. Perhaps some people at CBS-D even supervised some of the work or at least advized them on how to improve the material and get it more in line with the work done on season 1.

Did anyone notice the improvement as the season neared its end and what are your thoughts on this?

19. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

This argument does not really hold up. EaF was the first episode CBS-D completed and it looks absolutely fabulous! HTV didn't get anywhere near that level of quality.

20. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

Totally agree, from the go season 1 looked astounding. I watched peak performance last night and the effects work suffer from the same problems that plague the whole season. Watched all but Shades of Grey and not one single shot I've seen so far can compete with the work done by CBS D.