tabletop

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Obiwansolo18, May 2, 2013.

1. Duncan MacLeod

Duncan MacLeod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective. It's definitely an unusual game but very entertaining. I also have The Mansion Murders expansion for it with five more cases to solve.

Always wanted to get its sister game Gumshoe, set in San Francisco in the 30s.

No games for Christmas this year that I know of. Just shoes, clothes, and gift cards.

2. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

I'm hoping Santa will bring me the expansions to Lords of Waterdeep. However, a helpful elf has informed me that the current lot of games have a misprint on the cards, so it may have to wait...

3. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

What misprint?

4. Shanndee

Apparently there are some misprinted "upside down" mission cards in one of the printing runs. It doesn't hurt the game play at all, but my friend is a little obsessive and he hates that he has to always flip the cards around. :)

5. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Upside down? Lol! :lol: I can see where that can cause some issues... :p

6. trekkiebaggio

Oh, that, yeah it is a little annoying but you get used to it. I thought you meant there was something on one of the cards or buildings I was thinking, 'crap, what have we been playing wrong!'.

7. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

8. Shanndee

So. Can I safely assume that I earned some "cool wife" points today? Rather than discouraging my husband, I actively encouraged him to add a 4 foot by 6 foot piece of (nice looking) birch to our table so we can have a decent board game space.

I am going to insist on a nice tablecloth for when we're not playing...but I hope I earned some points today!

I'm actually looking forward to a marathon gaming session now that we have enough space for the game, expansion packs, game pieces, character cards, food, drink, AND friends!

Happy holidays (and gaming) everyone!

9. trekkiebaggio

Ha that's awesome! We always play around my friend's and the table is a little small.

We were up until 3am playing Lords of Waterdeep and Catan. Probably played one game too many but oh well.

10. trekkiebaggio

Does anyone else own the Star Trek Deck Building games?

11. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I think I have the TNG core set. I've seen the TOS version but not any of the other elements yet.

12. The Transformed Man

The Transformed Man Commander Red Shirt

One of the greatest boardgames of all time. Long ago they had a number of expansions for the game with new cases. Loved the game dearly.

Yancy

13. trekkiebaggio

I have TOS and TNG: The Next Phase. I haven't played the TNG one yet though. I'm getting into the TOS one by man is it confusing. The rulebook leaves a lot of unanswered questions and some of the text on the cards is ambiguous. I am looking forward to the day when I can get Kirk, Spock and Bones on my bridge though.

I did get this for my birthday so I'm looking forward to trying it out. I'm disappointed that it seems really difficult to get the expansion cases :(.

14. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

So, I've started getting together with a small group of friends for gaming sessions, and I'm already looking forward to the next one. I've been looking for a game with simple rules that doesn't take all that long to play, about 30-60 min.

Been looking at these:
    Coup
    Gloom
    Gauntlet of Fools

Anyone have any experience with those? Was thinking on Ticket to Ride, but I'm unsure if our group is going to be receptive to it. From the looks of things, I think I might want to consider Munchkin.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  15. trekkiebaggio

I haven't played any of those, but if you want quite quick games...

Muchkin is okay, although it's gotten a bit repetitive for me. How many are in your group? Here's a review I wrote.

Smash Up
    King of Tokyo
    Dixit
    Alhambra
    Small World

Those are all games that should fit into the time you specified so you should check those out.

The Resistance is SO much fun but you need at least 5 people, and as long as your group are willing to lie to each other and try to psych each other out it's a blast.

16. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

17. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Bought it as soon as i saw it on Wil Wheaton's Tabletop. We played it on new years eve amongst a group of close friends and it was such a success.. who knew lying to your friends and misleading them could be so much fun? :lol:

In the same vein i totally recommend the Battlestar Galactica game.. it is so well designed and fun. A bit complicated at first but once you finish the first few rounds and the first game you get the rules and can concentrate on gameplay. Another game where you will have a traitor (or several) amongst the group and trying to root them out and drive them into the open is nailbiting and that's on top of fighting off Cylon attacks and trying to keep your ressources up as much as you can (we barely won our first game by making the last jump to Kobol, we wouldn't have survived another round).

18. Owain Taggart

We basically just got started, so it's hard to say what the average size of our group is going to be. Last time, we started out with 5, then one of them left early, but I'm guessing it's going to typically be between 4-5 players.

We played StarFluxx, Bang!, and Cards Against Humanity. I found Starfluxx a bit too complicated and confusing, and I've heard that Munchkin is similar in how it plays. Would that be an accurate assessment?

I'm now really considering King of Tokyo. That looks like a lot of fun. I've also considered The Resistance, although that one seems to be a little pricy. Coup is in the same universe, and adds bluffing. Actually, I'm thinking of getting that along with King of Tokyo.

19. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Resistance is somewhere between 15-20$ and, at least to me, that's not expensive for such an awesome and easy to learn game.

King of Tokyo is a riot and another very popular game in my group of gamers, be sure to get also the Power Up! expansion as it introduces a good layer of new strategies and makes the monsters unique which just adds to the fun.

20. Owain Taggart

It all comes down to availability. Coup is showing up as less expensive than The Resistance on Amazon.ca, and if I search for it on Amazon.com, it's even more expensive apparently. Anyway, looks like I'm going with those two. Thanks for the recommendations!