WOLVERINE director search down to 8

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, May 26, 2011.

1. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Probably because they see greater story potential using TLS.

2. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think Mangold ever said that. He did say that it wasn't an origin story. That is true. It's telling a different chapter of the character's life. It's meant to stand alone. But that's not the same as "ignoring" something. Logan appearing in WWII with bone claws shows that they're not ignoring it. As I understand it the Japan arc in the comics wasn't about the origins of Wolverine, so why would the movie version have been expected to cover that territory? You've been making this claim since Mangold was hired, when you somehow took claims that the film wouldn't be an amnesia-focused story as evidence that it was going to "ignore" Origins. But that similarly made no sense. The film not being an amnesia-focused story would just mean it's not trying to rehash that dynamic again. It's not, for example, suggesting Logan never had amnesia, which would be outright contradiction of X1 and X2; amnesia was part of Logan's story long before there ever was an Origins.

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Good point.

We don't know that Origins is being ignored.
    We just know, as of now, that it's not being referenced.
    Big difference.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Has anybody posted the longer international trailer that has popped up?
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEbzZP-_Ssc[/yt]
    This looks awesome to me. I can't wait.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Holy Shit! WOW!

I have been excited about this for awhile. But this looks better than I was expecting. Its looks like a really good movie. Period. Not just a good X-men or Wolverine movie. But all around good movie

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The notion of "ignoring" "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" I believe first originated with Aronofsky when he was still attached who stated that the film would be self contained and not reference anything from that movie.

Now I am partly being sarcastic with the "ignore" stuff and have been for quite some time, but I have read and been told that "X-Men Origins" will not be referenced or at the very least referenced very little in "The Wolverine". Obviously this could have changed during production and with re-writes, but for the most part I don't think this is the case.

That all aside, I'm really excited for this film, in fact it's increased.

7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The world would be a much better place if everyone ignored "X-Men Origins: Wolverine".;)

But at least now it looks like they have learned from the mistakes of Origins and we are now getting the Wolverine movie that we should have gotten in the first place.

9. Admiral_Young

The cinematography looks incredibly gorgeous.

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Can someone explain why Origins cost 40 million more to make than "The Wolverine"? Why did the first one look so cheap? :confused:

11. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Usually, big science fiction films that are irreparably saddled with development and production problems than those that don't. Though there is only a few years difference, Star Trek 5 cost a lot more to make than Aliens, and we know which one looks better.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I think part of it is this has a much better director. I have to look up who did the first one, but Mangold knows how to make good looking films regardless of budget.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  13. Admiral_Young

Gavin Hood directed "X-Men Origins: Wolverine".

14. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Hood's Tsotsi is meant to be a good film and Rendition also got fairly positive reviews. He's not a bad director by any means. Much of the fault for Wolverine can be laid at the door of Fox, with their constant interference.

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Do we know if there is less interference for this movie compared to Origins?

16. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^Can't say for sure but I haven't heard any rumours online to the same extent as were prevalent during the shooting of the previous movie. I think also that there's a new and more benevolent regime in place at Fox.

17. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

But we don't know that it totally wore off for him. It could be that he only retained a vestige of his former power and things stayed that way.

18. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Empire break down the trailer with 36 'must-pause' moments.

One thing they point out is that when he gets shot he doesn't heal, but immediately after when he breaks out his claws no blood pours out.

19. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Or it could be that it wears off completely, as you say we just don't know. All I mean is that the possibility is there, so it's not unreasonable for The Wolverine to discount the so-called cure. Whether they even address it at all remains to be seen.

20. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes they have