What is NBC thinking????

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Keith1701, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What is NBC thinking?? Jay Leno has hosted "The Tonight Show" for over 22 years, and currently The Tonight's Show is still best show for late night. Why ask Jay to leave the show, when his winning his time slot?? In fact, NBC has agreed to pay the entire cast and crew to end of their contact which wasn't due to end until September 2014!!! It's seems like such a loss to me?? If they wanted Jay to leave, why not wait until at least September 2014???

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Because the Olympics aren't in September.

I wouldn't worry, he will be back by September.

3. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

bigdaddy is correct, re: the Olympics.

NBC, rightly or (in my mind) wrongly assumes that Fallon will do significantly better than Leno in "the coveted 18-49 demographic."

In addition, Fallon has (unlike Conan at the time he took over TTS) the backing of Lorne Michaels, one of the most powerful people at the network.

4. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What is NBC planning for the future of Jay Leno???

5. bigdaddy

A kick to the curb. His prime time show sucked.

There are CNN rumors, because cable "news" isn't bad enough yet.

6. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Everything, as they say, must come to an end. Someone has to replace him eventually. I'm sure Jay will do fine in a different capacity and find something else to do. As for what NBC is planning for his future? Very likely retirement.

7. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Nothing. They paid off his contract.

8. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I don't much care for Leno's humor, but I don't understand the appeal of Fallon either.

9. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe Jay can make a play for the 11PM slot on TBS?

10. bigdaddy

Fallon is one of, if not the worst late night host I have seen. He is just bad at everything he does.

11. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

All these years and Fallon still can't control himself from laughing at the camera.

I'll never understand his appeal, he always sounds to me like he's forcing a childlike charm.

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It is?????

13. Talosian

Talosian Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Fallon represents the new male. He's an adult who acts like a child, an awkward adolescent in a middle aged man's body.

He doesn't seem like it, but Fallon is almost 40 years old. He's about the same age as Leno when he took over.

14. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree.

15. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Here's hopin' Fallon at least learned from Conan's mistakes regardin' contract obligations.

A few months back, I saw Jay Leno as a guest on Craig Ferguson's show, and he was better there than he'd been on his own show in quite some time.

As far as late night goes, Craig Ferguson is the one I watch.

16. bigdaddy

I am a man-child, but I'm only 28. Man child isn't my problem with him, it's the fucking laughing. I like when the people can't stay in character on SNL, when it's rare and really funny skit. He would go "How, it's Saturday!" and would start laughing. So fucking stupid.

17. Talosian

Talosian Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, it's odd.

Fallon will throw back his head, clap his hands, and laugh maniacally at almost anything.

My impression is that he's sucking up to his guests. Leno and Letterman are more reserved. When Leno doesn't care for what a guest is saying he'll remark quietly in his nasal voice "okay, okay...".

It may be that he'll grow out of this as he enters his forties.

18. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

Conan was very much supported by Lorne Michaels during the tonight show debacle. Problem was that the core executives in charge at the time, who were very much fired when NBC got bought by a new company, we're not fans of Lorne and had the support of the parent company executives. The new parent company, after firing the executives behind that situation, basically gave Lorne total controls over NBC late night programing.

19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Hell, I'll call myself a "man-child" and I'm 35!

There's plenty of great examples in SNL where one of the performers would break character and giggle, or stumble over line or something. (See the infamous first "Motivational Speaker" skit during Farley's antics and when he falls onto the breakaway coffee table. Spade and Christina Applegate. are clearly giggling over things. But those moments were rare and in pretty extreme skits with very good, solid, performers (like Farley.)

Fallon did it ALL OF THE TIME! Every single skit he'd do no matter what the skit was about or who he was co-staring with he'd stat giggling to himself like a school girl and very often flub his lines like he hasn't been practicing this skit all week. He, for me, was part of the decline for SNL.

20. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

While that behavior is nauseating on a sketch comedy show, it's perfectly appropriate during a late-night talk show. Letterman, Conan, Ferguson and Kimmel all do the same thing.

Also, Fallon owns. Haters vacate.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPftVQwyPs0[/yt]